Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

The gloves I bought from the fishermans loft here in chch, I wear them for two reasons..to prevent sunburn and to minimise damage to fish when releasing!!

yellowfin
    Participant

6lb Rainbow from last weekend. cant wait for this weekend to hurry up.

yellowfin
    Participant

finally a fish that put up a fight to remember, 10 minutes of being burned by this fish on light gear final found its way to the bank.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thats a great trout, did you get a weigh?

yellowfin
    Participant

9lb maybe a tad under. thought it was much bigger.
    put up a heck of a good fight, 3 years ago i caught a 10.5lb fish in the same lake and it put up no fight.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well done Jezza. What a great fish!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Very quiet at the canals today. Only got a 1lb rainbow.
    Not much flow at the moment which might be the reason for the lack of action.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sunday fished the Pelorus in the morning, did not even see a trout.

That evening fished a river in town, landed a nice Searun. Had a few more strikes but none stayed.

yellowfin
    Participant

Got a 25 pound rainbow two weeks back when I was fishing the canals. One of the locals saw the fish and was impressed. My mate was talking to the same guy last weekend and the fish I caught had grown to 35 pounds so who knows how big it will be by next weekend. But as I was told today never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Tollbooth1

yellowfin
    Participant

I was using a Gulp 3″ Rainbow minnow soft bait with a 1/16 jig head. Use them on really light braid (6lb with a 8lb flurocarbon leader) and just dead drift them down the canal and only wind to keep in touch with your lure. Some of the takes are so soft you wont even feel them you will just see the line straighten out a bit but always strike and more often than not the fish will be there. The first hour of light seems to the best time.

yellowfin
    Participant

i heard the canal is fishing bad because of the maintanance they are doing, is this still the case? how much has it been drained?

yellowfin
    Participant

They stopped putting water down the canals last Saturday for about 6 hours but the level didn’t drop too much and you just had to use light gear. When the water was still I just cast a shrimp on a 1/2 ounce sinker at the base of the nets and that seemed to work good as. They were still taking soft baits when the flows had stopped but the takes were really soft.

keenfisherman
    Participant

I like ohau A canal. Its very close to twizel, and have seen alot of rainbow trout in the shallows. I was spinning, and about evey 2nd cast resulted in a follow. Got a few strikes, but only hooked 2 fish, one was an escaped salmon of about 2lb (which was landed, delicious!), and the other one was rainbow trout, gee it put on a great fight on a light spinning rod. Had it in the shallows and the hook fell out! was abould 6lb. Do you guys think that bait on the bottom might get more hookups?

yellowfin
    Participant

keenfisherman

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.