Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I spent 6-7 hours on the river today and only saw a single fish :(

Miliwolf
    Participant

No catches to report :(

Upper Wairau River on easter Friday, saw a couple. None fooled. Hurt myself.. One bugger basically rejected my entire fly box.
    Scouted the Mot on Saturday, saw two in a nice backwater but did no trout fishing. Thigh hurt to walk. .

Sunday, Spin fished my favorite stretch of the Awatere, had 9 follows and a couple of strikes but none hooked. Also saw a river best fish. Leg, back, neck, head was aching so had to leave river.

Today. Decided to have a gentle walk along Spring Creek, small bridge was under water, I thought I knew where it was and missed so plunged up to my waist in a drain, and only saw one small trout.

Left Spring creek and found myself a very nice backwater (very calm and clear), I set up a ambush and after excessive waiting got one to take my fly but it dropped it almost immediately. A short while later I tricked the biggest trout in the pool (probable PB) and despite my best effort it charged straight towards the rocks and broke free. This spooked the other trout so I went home. Although I am very pleased with my effort, until recently I had next to no show of tricking backwater trout other then dapping. But today I was casting in front and doing everything right and managed to trick two :mrgreen: .

burkefish
    Participant

my son got on to some rainbows in the waimak below browns rock somewhere, the largest was 4.5lb. said he lost 1or 2. he was using rapalas.prettygood really seeing the river is running low(36cum) and clear.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Low and clear just concentrates the fish.

burkefish
    Participant

he was looking for salmon but decided that the water was to good to pass by for trout. always need to be prepared for any possibility would have flyfished but was to windy.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a rather fun little fish up the Waihopai this afternoon, this is how NZfishing.com describes it “While not a well-recognised fishing river, the Waihopai holds a reasonable number of fish.” From my past experiences I say this is fairly accurate, there are fish there but one has to put the effort in. It was a beautiful calm day, and the autumn colours made the river quite picturesque. The drifting willow leaves made spinning a pain, nearly every second cast would snag a leaf.

The afternoon started quite well, just above my entry is a long shallow run but up against the bank is a slightly deeper spot. Past experience has taught me such spots often hold a fish but I only half hearteningly casted there because a lot of better looking water further back was barren. Sure enough a fairly small trout gave chase and even hit my Rapala. I fished many kilometers upstream, and despite covering much good looking water I only managed to spook a bunch of fingerlings. Might of seen a couple of lbers but the memory is already fading. Then I got to a stunning pool, the kind of pool which must hold a fish, it looks to good not to. Past experience has taught me these pools are normally barren but I decided to fish it anyway, third cast I saw the flash of the following fish then the pressure from its strike, it was a decent enough size fish then it went crazy with four jumps in a row. Was quickly brought to the net and a well conditioned hen was released. Saw one more trout but that was it for the day.

I also rescued a fuzzy white goat kid from a cliff. Never thought I would rescue a goat from a cliff, the things are designed to sprint up them….

Was pleased to finally catch a trout in the Waihopai and while fish numbers were low it was a very pleasant afternoon in a unrecognized river, think I might try again next year.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a fish Today something i never do for trout, got a couple about a pound and then one about 4 or so pound. my mate managed a couple about 4 or 5 pound a one pounder and one about 10lb+ in all not a bad day for my first attempt on the fly

baitman
    Participant

awesome markings on this 3lb rainbow from lake camp.
    stayed up there wed-fri last week caught several trout (all rainbows) and a perch, lost a big trout (had a line wrap around my fly rod just above the grip I said some bad words.).
    No surface activity so I fished a snail pattern and a pheasant tail under a tan cicada(indicator) the pheasant tail took them all.
    Trolled a hamils killer,Mrs Simpson and a rapala around lake clearwater behind my kayak without succsess, didn’t even get a bite in clearwater. Terrific weather hard frost overnight with blue dome days. I got some underwater footage of a school of perch that befriended my legs while wading cheeky buggers.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Wanted one last fish before the end of the summer season, but the recent rain has swollen many of my preferred rivers. Plus the NW was meant to build. So a decided to spin fish a little further up the Waihopai. Not many fish, only saw about 5, all but one were in the same run. Caught a small one. Its a nice peaceful river to fish, one where you are unlikely to bump into another angler.

yellowfin
    Participant

Some catches and possies since 1 April, in no particular order.

Clutha,
    Mahinirangi
    Taieri
    Dunedin Reservior
    Waipori

src=”http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6766/52157338080224002721268.jpg” />

yellowfin
    Participant

I had some wonderful fishing throughout April, nothing huge but plenty of 1-2kg browns in superb condition…http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUtty … iRXWn3t_pI

Miliwolf
    Participant

Same great looking spots there Jezza, thanks for positng the photos.

kevo85

yellowfin
    Participant

He stole them from micheal jackson. lol

baitman
    Participant
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Also own a pair of them, never liked how they feel

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.