Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Some action from a few weeks back…http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … J18rcvjdJ4

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a swim thursday avo and had the rod in the car as usual…just as well :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … 1jOt5cBuq4

Participant

Well done kevo some beautiful fish there…..

Liam
    Participant

Cracker fish! three trophies in an afternoon not bad at all.

HIPP
    Participant

Had 2 nice rianbows from lyndon bout a week ago 3lb to 4lb, shot up one evning for a fish, friend of mine caught and released about 4 or so each but smaller, still good fun, cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent a nice morning fishing a short section of the Rai, It was still flowing a little high but managed to get one take on a Ciacda fly. The Cicada’s are deafening at the moment.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Something a little different for me, decided to head down to the estuary and target Sea Run browns. Fished a new section of the river, smelly, shallow mud flat mostly… Technically its probably sea rather then river… Anyway, further upstream I discovered a very nice section which is only wadable at low tide, even then I was up to my chest a couple of times to get around clumps of tall reeds. There a meter deep channel run close to the shore, further out it was quite shallow

This was a scouting trip so I brought along my spin rod, and a few Rapala’s. Fishing was quite slow, with only the occasional strike and spooked mullet, then the fellow below grab hold of the lure. Did not weigh him but would likely be over 5lb. He grabbed a vampire colour suspending Huskey Jerk, I feel the larger lures are more tempting for trout in the food rich estuary. Did not bring a headlamp so it was a quick walk back to the car while the last of the light remained in the western sky.

I suspect a live or dead bully would be a lethal bait fished in that channel after dark :twisted:

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks in great nick mili.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How do people usually go about catching the bullies?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have not done it myself, but been told of two methods.

One is using very small baited hooks, the other is to head out at night with a fine meshed butterfly net and spotlight them. Then scoop them up, quite surprising how much more fish life there is after dark in many of our rivers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish Milli, a butterfly net is deadly for bullies in the right pair of hands!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a bit of fun this morning on the Rai, been a while since I fished it upstream of the lower reaches. Choose a access I never used before, and after a bit of jungle bashing I spotted my first fish. It was sipping something of the surface and it ignored my Cicada, changed to a extremely rusted willow grub but it had departed. Also while change to the willow grub a nice brown swam right up to me then took up position about 5m upstream. Slowly moved upstream, then on a drift which I was about to recast I saw a trout heading downstream at full speed, it then spent seconds just sipping water before engulfing my Cicada. :x To much slack in my line so I stuffed the strike.

Further upstream, another trout was feeding, he to grabbed my Cicada but I striked to soon :x , next pond had good fish numbers including one big bugger who spooked when I splashed my Cicada in front of him, but at the head of the pool a feisty trout grabbed my Cicada and the battle was on. After a longer then needed fight (someone had his drag right off) I guided him into the net. Spent a couple more hours fishing upstream but saw no more fish.

That remains me, I need to restock on willow grub flies.

Feisty little trout. The photo makes him look smaller then reality…

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to the diversion last night, hoping for a Kahawai but the water was dirty and the wind was howling. After 20 minutes or so I retreated upstream then across to the main river. Was low tide so got my spinner and minnow lures out and started to work the edges. Water was quite stirred, less then the ideal knee depth of visibility. Had all but given up, and was doing a quick cast and wind while walking when my Rapala Husky Jerk darted across a submerged branch next to the shore and a trout was on. It put up a good fight, the trout was a bit lean looking but good length. Might of gone 4lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

a couple of photos from my last trip was fantastic fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

Great looking fish

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.