Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

lalandi

yellowfin
    Participant

Amazing that guy is still alive giving the amount of glue he has been sniffing over the years!

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Tom :smile:

yellowfin
    Participant
    Liam
    Participant

Great vids kevo keep em coming!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did quite a bit of freshwater fishing this weekend, started with a Spin fish in the Taylor. We are blessed to have such a good trout river in the middle of town. Saturday, fished Pelorus and did not see a single fish, then headed up a old favorite which has been fairly barren to discovered the fish have returned :grin: … and the floods have changed the pools and ripped much of the rocks bare of scrub. They still buggers to catch up there.

Today, started with a fly fish on Spring Creek, the first trout of the day spooked the moment I looked at it :lol: , then found a big trout which normally spooks the moment I close my car door but he and a smaller friend stuck around and allowed me to throw my entire fly box at them… not even my fly line would put the little bugger down for more then a few seconds. The small fry did get hooked for a while, and he disappeared for about 5 minutes before feeding again :lol: … Gave up on them. All other trout spooked either on sight or after first cast. On way back meet a spin angler, so got him to throw a few at the big trout which continued to feed…. so I threw a few more flies at it (from directly upstream : :!: ) and it happily continued to feed. Back to car, my mate who fishes there often had just arrived, so I took him to the big trout to see if his specialized nymphs would work, second cast and it spooked and was gone. I do not think I would ever understand what causes trout to spook…

Afternoon went trolling again in the Pelorus. Got to a couple of nice remote runs which I fly fished, First was barren, saw half a dozen in the next. While I was sitting to replace a fly, one cheeky bugger swam right up to me for a closer look. Got sick of fly fishing, so trolled back upstream. Fun weekend.

Still need to figure out a decent mount for my Camera.

edit: Fixed about 10,000 typos and grammar errors ect…. probably made several thousand more.

yellowfin
    Participant

Very entertaining account of your weekend Miliwolf :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

One fish wonder today, although I did only have an hour and a half :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … K-P9MEZPSY

oompalompa
    Participant

nice work. havnt seen fish like that in the avon for a long time, thought they were all gone

yellowfin
    Participant

fat rangi searun

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished lake Opuha today
    I got 5 landlocked salmon, Kept 2 released the rest
    My mate got 2 brown Trout both around 3lb

One of the salmon I got, They put up a Good fight for the size of them :D .

Mal
    Participant

Went out to the mouth of the Waitaki on Friday night, at around 10pm there were several large sea-run smashing silveries/smelt… 4 of us threw everything at them, apart from 1 nice fish around 9lb nothing else landed. 1 chap had a large fly rod and cast several assortments of feathers, we tried fluoro’s, rapalas, rubber trout/shard immitations,big veltic spinners nothing seemed to work.Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.ps we tried to catch some silveries but they didnt seem to be in the river only in the mouth itself.

yellowfin
    Participant

silveries work really well .. but the main problem is that you will get alot of kahawai .. ( not a bad thing when little else around ) i use silveries and always have done . or drifting a yellow lure pattern out the mouth works sometimes too .. buut almost all of the searuns i catch in the mouth are on silveries
    cheers

Mal
    Participant

Thanks Searunner,hopefully we can catch some silveries next time. What sort of trace/rig/sinker do you use also where is the best place to put the hook in the silvery??

yellowfin
    Participant

i use a banana sinker thing whatever they are called eh .. have a wide range of weights mate depending on current and depth ..
    i run 10-12 lb yo zuri on a shimano curado .. tie on the sinker and have about a meter of 15 lb yo zuri to a baitholder hook about the size of your thumb fingernail if you know what i mean ? ( dont know actual size sorry )
    but the baitholder part is nessesary .. to hold the silvery on for the cast ..
    hook the silvery through the head strait through just behind the eyes and i sometime do a second one through the body .
    i fish it as a dead bait .. ( as if it is dead and floating ou the mouth and is an easy mean for any fish )
    most of the fish i catch is when i leave the spool free as it drifts out the mouth then when winding in the slack line you feel the kicking :)
    silveries outfishes lures for searuns and kahawai mate !! the way to go ! :)
    GOOD LUCK ! :)
    cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.