Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Magnificent fish Kev, please leave some fish for the rest of us!

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t worry fergie..it was put back for another day mate :razz:

lalandi
    Participant

What a horse Kevo! I have seen some big trout in the Avon (excluding the gardens) but not quite like that.

A quick story.
    I took my lad (5 at the time) fishing down stream from CGHS (little hagley)? We fished towards Helmores lane. A joker in his late 40’s perhaps, came speeding in on his treadley, he jumped off letting the 10 speed ghost ride 4-5m into the bank. He had a cast or two along the bank then jumped back on his bike and shot off up stream. My boy and I looked at each other, even at 5 Jacks could tell he was a little special. We fished on, caught a wee one or two then walked back to the car.
    Here he was at that big hole near the fendalton rd bridge. I asked if he had seen anymore. “Yup… 10lber under that tree”
    Riiiiiight, sure I thought and crept up to where he was.
    Under that tree upstream from the deep hole was a big trout. At least 10lb…

yellowfin
    Participant

Hahaha I’ve seen that dude too lol..told me I’d be wasting my time fly fishing for avon trout during a chat I had with him on the now upside down swing bridge..talk about waving a red flag to a bull, went back home, grabbed my rod and partners daughter,went back to avonside drive and caught the 4 trout I spotted using pheasant tails, this was 3-4 yrs ago!! Up till then he was the only guy I seen fishing for Avon trout, riding along the bank spotting trout, throws his bike down when one was located, a few flicks, back on his bike and off, was very entertaining to watch!!

yellowfin
    Participant

And yeah,he’s not the full $

lalandi
    Participant

Ha! Gotta be the same guy.
    Another quick story about the avon and special people.
    About 1996 I used to live on Kilmore st just by the TT Sculpture. There was a glue sniffer,Speedy, that lived in the bushes in the reserve opposite. I would see him to and from work each day, usually we would have a wee chat, he was harmless enough. One time on my way home i saw him on the madras/kilmore bridge. “big Rainbow about 6lb just down there” he claimed. I figured he was talking about his paint he must have dropped. However there was indeed a rainbow trout about 4.5lb in the fast water under the bridge.

Some years later (not so long ago actually) I met and started to fish with a joker. He showed me a photo of a rainbow trout he caught in the Avon in the mid 1990’s

yellowfin
    Participant

When I was a kid fishing through hagley park in the 80s I recall us caching at least 1 small rainbow on worms, a bit vague now, but I’m pretty sure we did…would love to see a goodn in there but I don’t think it’s top rainbow habitat!!

lalandi
    Participant

I have caught 2 rainbows from the Styx. 1 was a willowbank escapee, ugly sonofa. The other probably was aswell, but was in excellent condition. It looked like one of those winter bows you get from the mac. Caught it the following season (last year).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah the ATC9K is on my short list… I like the fact that its waterproof to 20m without any additional case.

Went trout fishing tonight, targeting sea runs. The river was cloudy. Spent two hours before dinner and only saw one trout, hooked none :( , grabbed a feed of KFC and drove down to the mouth of the Diversion, looked to be low tide, maybe incoming. Fished there for a while and caught the smallest herring of the year…. Went above the bridge and fished the change of light, very few raises. Saw one chasing smelts, so walked over to it, small fish, after 5 minutes of flicking and retrieving my lure he finally grabbed it, but I was in the process of lifting it out of the water for the next cast, so he got off. Dunno why I suck so badly targeting Sea Runs in the tidal area.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Kev, how about some more videos? I love to see videos of places to fish in canterbury. We have some of the best trout and salmon fishing in nz.

yellowfin
    Participant

@Bullfrog, I have a south branch vid loading now mate..glad you enjoy them :D

yellowfin
    Participant

Ive moved the Camera / software posts to a new thread;
    viewtopic.php?f=10&t=896

baitman
    Participant

Ugly brown trout I caught yesterday not regained condition from breeding I think.
    Note the fins are too big for its body had big sharp teeth and a rounded off snout.
    I got video of it .

yellowfin
    Participant

I had a couple of hours up my sleeve a month or so ago, decided to hit dickies rd which was somewhere I hadn’t been for many years, this was the action http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … HCL4iyyOoE

yellowfin
    Participant

another great vid kev well done

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.