Latest Catches

Posted By fishsnatcher On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 588 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fishsnatcher 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 589 total)
  • Author

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Beautiful day, utterly calm, fish rising everywhere, got a 3 and a half pound perch, a 2.25lb rainbow trout and lost an estimated 2.5lb trout, all caught on bead-headed wooly bugger, my mate caught 4 rainbow trout all about 2-2.5lbs and all on coch-y-bondhu dry fly.
    All in all great day, plus my first fish on the fly rod, this is my second fly-fishing outin, got the hang of casting now, so its all go :)
    Overcast, mild, completely calm, insects hatching.

Again all caught on Tomhawk Lagoon,

Will be heading down South this friday, so im gonna give the waiau a go on the fly rod, last time I was there, there were tonnes of fish but all feeding on flies and just wouldnt take my lure, there were so many fish in the stretch of water I was fishing I foul hooked 3 trout…. or the same trout 3 times :roll:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

very calm day but too cold for flies to be out, so dry flying didn’t really work, did get a fish on early in the morning but as the day went on dry flies just wern’t the go, my mate caught a 3.5lb rainbow trout on a brown wooly bugger.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Left some of my gear down where I was fishing [tomahawk lagoon] went back to get it found it to be a brilliant night, spotted about 6-7 2-3lb trout
    swimming about [without polaroids on] didn’t even bother targeting a specific one so many of them around. within about 5-6 casts I had a 2.5lb fish on my line, landed and released it

Rainbow trout, 2.5 lbs
    Fly/Lure: Black bead headed wooly bugger
    Dusk, Calm, 17 degrees, flies flying about but only midget fish rising.

Great night for fishing could probably have caught more, but had to leave beacuse the rellies [relatives] are up from down south, and we were having Dinner.

Oh and the irony of that is i got up at 5:00 in the morning got down there, stayed there till 11:00 and didn’t even get a bite!

troutaholic
    Participant

i got a 4and1/2 pound brown on the clutha
    and a 5 pound rainbow at tomahawk

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Went out to Twizel where i caught up with Yakkaman/Doug, caught a 1lb landlocked salmon, and lost a 5lb rainbow trout and a 2lb brown and a 2lb rainbow, aswell as a 15cm long trout but I’m not so worried about that.

It would have been a great trip If I had caught all the fish I got on, but there you go, thats fishing.

5lb rainbow snapped me 9lb Black Magic braid, It had no knots in it and the line didnt catch round a snag while I was playing the fish it just broke…. :evil:
    I also had good tention [not too tight]

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yup this looks like the trout i released up in Twizel :lol:

https://fishingmag.co.nz/trout-rainbow-Tekapo.htm

troutaholic
    Participant

i caught a 5 pound 3 ounces rainbow at sullivans dam on a long tail minnow 5 minutes in to fishing there for the first time
    lol it was awsome. have picture attached soon hehe

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Caught a great condition brown in the clutha river, 2.5lbs, funny; the lure and place that I caught it escape me now… :wink:
    Perfect for sight seeing, saw tonnes of other fish, though none [as far as i could judge] were above 3lbs, well none that i saw……. only god knows whats down in those big deep pools in the wilderness :shock: …..

One thing that really f***s me off is that I left my fish in some running water too keep it cool, and fresh, and when i brough it home and gutted it, it smelled of ammonia/urine, needless to say I didn’t eat it, that really sucks…. :evil:

Got him on a Cobra with a green kiwi teaser, i really like the extra bit of action it gives the cobra, and i lost both the cobra and the teaser on the next cast, because the line tangled around my rod tip :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

couldnt you gut it down on the water ?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Yes, I COULD have, but there were tonnes of other fish that I could see swimming around and jumping, and my rod seemed to have a mind of its own…. :D
    not a good decision, but at least I’ve learnt that lesson and it’s certainly not going to happen again

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a quick trout fish this afternoon very unblike me but thought i would cause i was bored ended up getting 2 trout one of about 3kg (brown) and one of about 1kg both caught both on a black and gold toby in the upper kaiapoi river then came down stream a lil and casted a silver spoon and got a salmon of about 2kg all released

fishsnatcher
    Participant

nice trout, though a pretty small salmon! :P

I’m always amased how a black and gold flapping piece of metal looks like food to a trout yet they are often cautious of rapalas and the like….

fishsnatcher
    Participant

My Dad got a 2lb rainbow up at sullivans dam on Wednsday, storm soft plastic in the evening.
    Looked at least 3.5lbs though, had a large head/mouth.

troutaholic
    Participant

i got 23 brown trout on the mataura in 3 weeks twice i got five on one day then just the next day i got 6 browns one was a nice golden trout 3.5 pounds the rest were bout 2 pound or a wee bit less my largest was around 4 pounds i caught it on a most on a veltic and some on the zebra toby a couple of times id watch the trout follow it to a couple of metres infront of me then take it which is awsome to see :grin: but some just followed and swam off :sad: i got some bwt 5 were midgets around 1 pound but the rest were above 2 pound so im glad to have an awsome experience on the mataura out in the bush a way from inhabitance.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Got a nice butteery coloured brown out of Lake waihola spinning using a storm hard bodied minnow, With jet boats launching about 2 feet away :D
    Though I was only spinning there because I had lost a nice trout last time, and seen a few bullies around that area.

2.75lbs , gutted it though couldn’t be bothered filleting it now, it’s tomorrows dinner :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 589 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members