Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

[quote:2i0p8oem]The fish population is mostly brown trout weighing between 1 – 1.5 kilograms. Big fish weighing above this are rare

Just read this on the homepage, 2-3lbs would the norm maybe up to 4lb in any year. But talking to a few old timers Brunner has exceptional years this year being one. Im just thinking the best 3 hour period we had, we caught a total of 27.5lb of trout. between 3 of us. And we still lost a couple in the period could easily have been another 10lb on that amount.

HIPP
    Participant

Just back home from night fish at Lyndon with two friends,both of which caught fish,two keepers around late 2,s early3lbs and three smaller released.

No joy for me, tried the fly and a float method with fly, but i am but anovice, so to be exspected.

Bloody cold up there tonight,but good to be out, cheers Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a good day at the lakes with the ol man today, 4 for me and one for him with the biggest being a 4lb selfe rainbow..all fish taken on dries which is always good<a href="“> <a href="[URL=http://img201.imageshack.us/i/006fl.jpg/]“>[URL=http://img201.imageshack.us/i/006fl.jpg/]

yellowfin
    Participant

nice fish kevo..

yellowfin
    Participant

Well done Kevo..least someone’s able to get out and get into some fish,, I hate this working for a living..

yellowfin
    Participant

Only pic from brunner i took, fish always look better if photo taken as soon as they outta the water

HIPP
    Participant

Fished Lyndon late afternoon till 5pm, not the most ideal time, but there was activity,

I had one take, which I was happy with as I have no idea what im doing with the fly rod, but a fish had ago at something I had chosen out of my box ,and my presentation ,if you could call it that.

So maybe theres some promise or maybe it just landed on his head and gave him a fright…time will tell.

my cobber who has had a fish each visit this year didnt have so much as a lookin this time.

Cheers, Hipp

baitman
    Participant

looking for a salmon on the rakaia this evening found a great hole after fishing it through twice with a zeddy I changed to medium black/green ticer 3rd cast whamo 7lb

HIPP
    Participant

Nice fish baitman,

We fished Lake Lyndon again last night dusk untill 2am, I landed 2 smaller fish on wet fly and broke a hook on a bigger hit on a dry fly I chose to imitate the small mothy looking things. My freiends landed 5 each and lost as many, with one fish kept for the night as it had swallowed the hook way deep.

An awsome night, warm and small wind, great stuff, bit naffed at work today though.

cheers, Hipp

HIPP
    Participant

had to get away today, hit lake Lyndon again, got there bout 9.30am, blowing its ass off, found a semi shelterd area with no joy,climbed a hill on the other side to check out the weed beds, N/W easesd off a bit so after yet another coffee,chucked on another mothy looking dry and wamo, my first landed,keeper trout taken on a dry fly and in daylight this time,3lb rainbow, maybe be starting to get it right,sweet. cheers hipp

baitman
    Participant

well done mate ur on the way. do you fish the other lakes in the area? I like coleridge best when it’s not blowing nuts out.
    big population of fish. And my brother inlaw never misses on lake selfe. A damsel nymph is a sure bet at this time of year.

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks baitman,

Lyndon is close to home for me in Darfield so I guess thats why Ive been there so often,and the only place Ive ever fished with a fly.

I have done well on spin gear in Benmore and Coleridge mainly trolling or driftfishing around the river mouths of the lakes and have fished many ohter rivers and lakes with some, but not a lot of succees over the years, its along learning curve :).

Thanks for the tip re a damsel nymph Ill give it ago,once i find out if I have one in my box of handme down tricks or buy some to try.

I really dont know what im doing lol, all my wet flys were floating!!! and some of my dry ones were sinking! yesterday.

Ill let you know how i go next time maybe tonight, new moon it should be good the next few days.

cheers, Hipp

mulletman
    Participant

what are good flys for lyndon?

HIPP
    Participant

Now thats a question i wish i could awnser….I really dont know what they were, both drys I used were what i thought looked like small moths on the water at a distace, at night a wet and anything shiney seems to work, baitman sugested a damsel nymph which im yet to try.

plenty of fish there anyway thats for sure and they seem to be takeing avariety of flys wet and dry both of which out fish the spin gear which is why im learning to fly:)

good luck and lut us know how you go. hipp

mulletman
    Participant

i’ve heard that glow-in-the dark flys are leathal there, im sure they would work well

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.