Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a wee trip to lake Aviemore yesterday afternoon. Slight rain to begin with, remained mostly overcast and dull but there wasn’t a breath of wind, I have never seen the lake so calm.
    Landed 6 browns all between 1.5 – 2 lbs and all in that post spawning/winter skinny condition…. released all of them.
    All taken with the altered pheasant tail nymph I mentioned elsewhere.

My mate caugt 3 and this doesn’t count the one that he released taking his lure again within a minute of being released… (is that fish dumb or what).

My mate was using soft baits and I was interested to see the same trout take the thing 4 times and not get hooked… They need a hook at the tail end in my opinion.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a bit of a wander around the lower Shag River, got followed by a very nice fish and had a couple of touches but other than that not much doing.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Much whitebait around? Apparently by the SH1 bridge a lot of the trees have been ripped out, and one guy has a whitebait net half way accross the river…

yellowfin
    Participant

Not sure, any I have spoken to have been talking in terms of numbers rather than weight ie I caught about 20 lol

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Should be enough for a patty 8)

yellowfin
    Participant

I was doing a spot of hunting for some searunners when for some reason I started catching mullet.
    What is weird (well I think it is) is that they were taking a black rabbit streamer.

I do have a question though… do these fish rise to take flies off the surface?
    There was a hell of a lot of fish rising and I thought it may have been small trout but now I’m beginning to have my doubts.

Oh yeah I have another question… are they any good to eat and if so whats a good way to have them?

Cheers :)

gunnercoops
    Participant

yep they tatse really good, I treat them like sardines, gut them, head and tail off flatten them, a beer bottle will do, you can remove the bones if you want, it is something of an art to do but may be worth it if you don’t like bones in and whack them on the barbie, brush with olive oil…really good. There are plenty of fancy portuguese recipes for sardines on the net. Apparently they are good for pickling like roll mop herrings too, but have not tried.

yellowfin
    Participant

really good smoked too

St_Paul
    Participant

Yes they will eat flies off the surface, so will garfish.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Surprisingly strong wee fish on the fly aye? I’ve caught a couple around where you were too. If you stand up on a high bank and look down onto where you were fishing you’ll often find you’re casting right into the midst of a big school of them. And where there are lots of bait fish there are big trout :twisted:

Haven’t tried eating them but they look pretty good.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Went up to the Tekapo canal on Sunday…as did a large amount of other folk, got me a nice 7lb brownie. Lots of salmon being caught around 1.5-2lb.

Mal
    Participant

I fished Ohau C Saturday night & again Sunday morning only to be rewarded with a 2lb brown.Good crowd there, one of the holding pens were deliberately slashed according to rumours.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to a spot on the wairau which normally holds a few fish. Fished with a Rapala for maybe 10 minutes before losing it to a Snag :mad:

Back to car and rigged on my secret weapon, few casts later had my first strike but failed to hook up, that was followed 4-5 casts later by a small sea run which spat the hook during a aerial display, few more casts and another strike which did not hold then managed to snag and lose it :( :( Running low on my favorite spinner, hope I can track more down :cry: . In bigger waters I rarely get out fished while using it. Was getting a bit dark so packed up on drove home.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Pic of 7lber from weekend
    “>

baitman
    Participant

Miliwolf

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.