Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

seahunter

Anonymous
    Inactive

the mussels have been washing up on the waimak mouth and at southshore regularly ….don’t know where they are coming from? they are good quality :D

Miliwolf
    Participant

seahunter

rdeejay
    Participant

got the motherload today at southshore, broke the eco shopping bag cos i had so much between myself and my brother picking shellfish

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the pier over the weekend again. Got a small seven giller the first night and some asians hooked a bigger one but never got to see it. Got a small rig and an ele on Saturday night but lost the ele pulling it up, tracknz also got one a while before me. Fished again last night but didn’t have any luck, had one good run on pipi bait when the eles came around but didn’t hook up. Was a 3 or 4 rig and 3 eles caught by PierMaster and his mate.

Here’s the seven giller, my smallest one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you keep a fish like that, Zac?

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I would hope so Paulo, they are very good eating.
    We boated one at French Pass on a charter, immediately took the fillets off, dropped them in a chilly bin and flooded them with salt water.
    We changed the water once to remove the bleed sign and how your father…..heaps of gorgeous fillets for us all….the shark was 6 and a half ft long!
    Better eating than Groper!
    My motto is that if its big enough to fillet, its good enough to eat!

yellowfin
    Participant

No was released like the conger.

Went out to Wakanui yesterday afternoon. Got my limit of rig all about the same size, released three others and lost a couple in the surf. Only ended up getting the one ele though. Only got two small rig, all of the others seemed to be good size ones.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

And did u take those rig home for eating? I say this as they look like they are going to waste looking like that, with the redding fins and skin.

yellowfin
    Participant

I did take them home for eating, only one went bad from being in the sun before I covered them.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Too good to waste like that Zac.
    As soon as you land them, “trunk” them, that is take off the fins and head and gut them, then drop them in a bucket of water direct from the sea. (Never put fresh water on them!)
    Then COVER the bucket with a wet towel or similar to keep the sun off.
    Once you have done that, bury the fins and gut so as NOT to spoil the fishing ground until the next tide anyway.
    If the water becomes slightly pink, change it as you would if it gets warm in the sun.

This method ensures you have a good eating fish and not one you need to bury under the grapevine. :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

I had them covered and had salt water on them, just didn’t gut them etc till I packed up but they wern’t left that long.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nice fish zac, and good advice from fishy bishy,
    I always take a chilli bin with ice or frozen bottles of water

Miliwolf
    Participant

Some people do not mind the extra flavor fish developed from being left in the sun, and others do not mind or even enjoy the taste of ammonium. So one personals preparations preference do not suit someone else.

A perfect example is my father, he reckons anyone who bleeds a Kahawai ruins the rich flavor gained from the dark meat. Each to their own.

I prefer to release my fish then go home and eat steak.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I’ve already eaten some of the rig and there’s nothing wrong with it, but I’ll take peoples suggestions for next time. Need to get a bigger chilli bin to take to the beach I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.