Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a morning fish at the big shark beach…. Got there a bit later (8:00am) because I was hoping to go trout fishing but decided the nor-wester was to strong.

Got to the spot about a hour before high tide, then the chaos started. The winter storms have piled rocks everything at the high tide mark. It was next to impossible to get the beach spike into the sand…. Lost several Rigs and shock-leaders due to the waves wrapping my line around rocks. The main reason being the rod stands were to far up the beach which resulted in the line being to low… Running out of BOS also did not help.

Had a quick tussle with a Shark around high tide, the only real evidence was the abrasion on the rig body… The tide slowly got lower but I continued fishing… One rod showed life which resulted in a large Dogfish. Finally a Rod showed real action and I had a decent fight with a moderate size Sevengiller which I landed. First for this season. Headed for home around 11:30am out of bait.

Salmon was the best bait, also used whole pilchard but had no luck on them. Interestingly there was 10,000 flies buzzing around each baby Salmon I left in the Sun and only a few buzzing around the thawing pilchard. I wonder if Salmon gives of more aroma….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miliwolf

Anonymous
    Inactive

rdeejay

rdeejay
    Participant

5am! gee see thats the prob anyone else i know who could be keen for a fish come up with lame excuses and and definitely wouldn’t wanna go out early in the morning and i’m not much of a super early bird myself but if it means catching lots more fish well then. And hence why i gave last night a shot but it wasn’t to be, but then the lack of good baits might of been more the problem.

rdeejay
    Participant

seahunter

yellowfin
    Participant

Mine wasnt at Spot X, at a well knowen mid canty beach location! :grin:
    Caught on squid like all my eles have been caught, and yea first ele of the season.

Anonymous
    Inactive

not taking the piss..actually known as ninety mile beach,

90 mile beach in the north is only 90 km ?

top fishing country up there though…northland is my favorite

shark_tale, my first ellie this season too.

Miliwolf
    Participant

You have narrowed it down to a area between Timaru and Banks Peninsula :lol:

Ninety mile beach is another name for the Canterbury Bight.

fishforpot
    Participant

You carried all those fish the 500mtrs to ya car ? or you went poaching at my spotx ?

Suprising your “body could handle it” lol …..I guess you’ll be hanging your gear up waiting for next season now your freezers full ……..pfffft lol

fishforpot
    Participant

rdeejay , give me a buzz if you wanna go out that way sometime ….its pretty much all the same beach from Taumutu – > Birdlings ….some parts are deeper than others , but basically if you put in the effort , i.e. there at first light and fresh bait , ya usually get well rewarded ……

rdeejay
    Participant

seahunter

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I got my last lot from a place in Nelson. But also seen them in Hendersons and Hunting and Fishing locally.

I think I would start to test the waters around Blue Slip, the beaches are much sandier there so no rocks to get in the way. Just hope the sharks would also be there in numbers.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

I too tried down that way on friday night with no real joy just a couple of small ones, and a couple of hookups and dropped. My wifes line got cut off by the swells. Although i was fishing further south at a different location, i think its time i got some of those salmon too, they are available at hendersons(they have quite a good variety there now!); fresh choice stock them also hunting and fishing.
    Good luck with trying the blue slip my personal experince has coughed up little result just one big paddle crab once.
    Heres the spot further south of washdyke stream, and note the big rocks (the waves managed to move one of those over my wifes line and cut it off, there was no wind just a rather big northerly quarter swell rolling in.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I fished either side of Blue slip in the pass, one time towards Willawa pt I caught a Kahawai another nothing but I believe the tides were outgoing/low both times… Just south of the kekerengu township I landed a personal best Skate, I was hoping for a Moki this time so only had 1 ‘fish bait’ out which got the skate.

Getting a bit further away now but have fished the mouth of the Ure once or twice for no result. Also spent a bit of time fishing the “Slow vehicle Bay” spot. First time I tried it I had landed a good size tope but been rather unproductive since.

Have really only gotten onto the sharks in decent numbers at Sevengillz spot or further south at the Fords. From memory the fords are slightly less rocky so they might be my main destination if the Slip fails to produce.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.