Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I beleive the wharf is public… I beleive the council made it.

I think I know the points you mean which are before te mahia but have never figured out how to access them from the land. Have spent a bit of time Kayak fishing around them and someone did try to explain the access to me once but I was to slow to comprehend/remember it. I am certain I could figure out how to access them if I tried.

The spot in Broughton Bay I have fished (well known spot) is you park just near the big trees and walk down a short track to the beach. There is a old Boat-shed 25m or so to the west. Alternatively one can walk down the track to the boat-shed to access the beach but the land there is technically private. Back when I was a kid my father had quite a bit of luck there but I have blanked the few times I have tried it.

Think I might try and access the point between Te-Mahia Bay and the triple pointed point. Looks like only a short walk from the road with no baches to walk through.

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

yellowfin
    Participant

Conger from last night at the Pier..

Got a few small rig over the weekend, and one reasonable sized one but lost pulling up somehow the 100lb trace snapped. Also lost a barracouta pulling up. Had to beach the conger, dunno what it was doing around that area, haven’t heard of one ever being caught there before. One of the asians hooked a good sized stingray on Saturday but got caught up in a crab catcher and the hook ended up pulling, looked like a good fight with like 60lb mainline, drag locked up on a 10kg rod.

fishforpot
    Participant

Nice eel , it would be the best part of 20lb?? …..take an hour to cruise that far from Taylors for a feed …

Possums will travel 14 miles in a night , Deer 20 miles ……just for a feed …would be interesting to know how far an eel like that would travel …….
    Caught one off Amberly beach , south of the rugby field….a km offshore on a kite ..filthy sea tho , so might have been lost lol …

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah maybe around 25lbs, sea was a bit dirty. PierMaster said he’s never seen one there either so maybe just a one off thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet eel… Can you actually eat them or do you just release them to fight another day?

yellowfin
    Participant

You can eat them but I put that one back.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

How the hell do you land a beast like that when fishing from the pier? The lift from water to pier is al least 20 feet so do you simply “walk” it back onto the beach, which is a bleedin’ long walk too.
    I often wonder about lifting caught species like Rig, etc from the water up to pier…..so, is is perhaps a landing frame as used in Otago for Salmon?? Got me thinking, again.

yellowfin
    Participant

That one I just dragged to the beach drag locked up and someone went down to get it for some photos. For things like rig some people have grappling hooks like this which means you can pull up pretty much anything. Things like seven gillers and rays are best beached so they can be released.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Holy heeba jeebars!
    Multi grapnel???
    You wouldn’t want it to slip out under load eh!
    Otago’s technique involves a bike rim with net suspended horizontally to the water and in swims fish, ready for vertical retrieve.
    Is this permitted on the pier too?
    Could be testy with a reasonable fish in it I suspect.
    Amazing tool, well done on the Conger though, not my cuppa tea however.

yellowfin
    Participant

Bike rim to big to carry around, and to small to get bigger fish/sharks up. I guess with the grapnel you can pull anything you can physically pull up. I use a 80lb shockleader so technically should be able to pull the bigger fish up but there’s always a chance the hook will pull.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So you don’t actually use anything special to land rigs or other heavy fish that you intend to keep? Like, back in Brazil we use to have a a converted landing net which had a long rope attached to it so you could drop it down and pull it with the fish in it… Don’t you use anything like that here?

yellowfin
    Participant

No only grapnel hook thing, otherwise take the risk and pull it up or just beach it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I saw someone with a cool telescopic net one evening… It could telescope out around 12ft, I suspect it would not be long enough for the pier but a useful gadget for smaller wharfs like the ones around Kaikoura.

yellowfin
    Participant

nice conger zac. did something finally take one of ur school shark baits?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.