Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

If the Kahawai are schooling probably worth while.

Last day of August, not long before decent numbers of Snapper start moving back into the Sounds. October is normally the month but the seemingly warm august could bring them in earlier. Less then 4 weeks until the start of Day lighting Saving. Suspect winter would be short this year.

fishforpot
    Participant

Oh shuddup about ya snappers …….weve got broadbills down here anyways ….mullet said so lol

I suspect the kingies feed on the kahawai in the same way the kahawai feed on mullet …….pushing them right into the surf ….

Cast a small live kahawai on a triple swivel just behind the breaker …..and sit and wait …… hopefully the cudas will leave it alone , and the 7 gillers ….sooner or later a kingie might wander come along ……

Ive tried this method at Taylors a couple of times , caught some large schoolies , cudas and kahawai …on mullet of course …
    The crabs and dogfish leave the livey alone , so that lets you fish the bottom without getting the bait stripped ……

Keep the method secret tho , cause I’m picking it will work wonders on kingies …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Use a medium, maybe even large Kahawai. Should eliminate the predation from other Kahawai.

I would post a few freshly caught Snapper photos in October when I start targeting them.

St_Paul
    Participant

better option is to cast out as far as you can with just a sinker on the end and then use a clip swivel to attach the livie and let it swim down the line.
    Have used this technique off the beach and in the sounds too. :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

You can get actual sliders made for the purpose. I think originally invented in australia but mainly used in south africa people are starting to use them in the north island to target kingfish off the beaches using livebaits. You can get weighted and unweighted versions, I think someone was selling them on trademe a while back. Advantage is you can cast a bare sinker as far as you can meaning you can get live or dead baits out further than you could cast even smaller baits, also means you can slide out baits that would be to big to cast. It’s called a non-return slide meaning it wont come back up the line only down.

I’ve had some for a while so plan on testing them out this summer. If you have some suitable wire you can make your own shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mvuRHpJW8k

More info here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m88woeW4vHA

Miliwolf
    Participant

I also have one somewhere….

I find it is easier just to let the live bait swim itself out, although they do have the habit of going parallel to the beach or swimming back to shore (probably being chased). Also have the risk of the livey dragging the sinker into a snag. But I can see the advantage when the surf is up a bit and you want the live bait to stay a good distance out.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve got some 7 and 8oz breackout sinkers with thicker wires that would be ideal for sliding. Obviously the heavier the bait the heavier sinker you need otherwise its gonna lose it’s grip.

fishforpot
    Participant

The now dead old guy that got me into fishing many years ago had a cool technique ….

He had a bow and arrow , he would fire the arrow , with a little grapple on the tip , off a clifftop ….line attached of course
    And had a sliding doofa that’s around here somewhere , he’d run a 2nd line down the first and catch/retrieve the fish on it …

At the end of the day , a 2nd sliding doofa was sent down the line , with a razor blade on a pivot …..when it reached the arrow , a tug backwards would see the line cut and everything would be pulled back ….

The arrow was sacrifical …and no line lost ……..

I never got to see it working , he hadnt used it since before the war ..or thereabout ….but seen all the gear …..

He was a very clever guy , retired engineer ….he made a cannon for shooting a 6lb lead ball a mile out with line attached , nearly shot down one of the airforces jets on its way to a flyover at Riccarton racecourse to showoff for the Queen many years ago …..that story was hilarious …..

Learnt a lot from him …and some of the oldtime stories wow ….

Ling in lyttleton , gurnard off birdlings , grouper off pendarves ……man they had it lucky

yellowfin
    Participant

ling in lyttelton that would have been a while ago. only ever caught one ling and it was from a wharf shocking to me but oh well

fishforpot
    Participant

Before WW2 …off a warfe I believe to ……

He also lost what he suspected was a kingi off the beach at Amberly ….was in the last 10 yrs too

I talked to a guy up there early this year who reckons he lost one in the surf last year , yellow fins and fought like a mofo

Wouldnt suprise me , with the bird workups offshore there so often , a lot of kahawai

yellowfin
    Participant

My ling was of the stewart island wharf a while ago now though like 5 years ago maybe more

yellowfin
    Participant

Think I’ve heard of people catching ling off the Pier but none that I’ve ever seen myself and probably only small ones. Somewhere like the pier that has people fishing nearly every day of the year is gonna have some out of place catches it’s just being there at the right times.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

some guy round timaru had a cannon thing rammed a potato down the barell with a ramrod with a sinker and the mainline embedded in it the line was coiled on the beach in loops with baited traces attached and sand put on the bait to deter seagulls. it had a valve and you squirted some engine start either in and a spark plug ,battery and a set of points, you flicked a switch and boom, mr plod became involved said it was an illegal firearm.

yellowfin
    Participant

just ike the pinger who told me he was tryin to catch HOKI not MOKI at sumner lol off the breakwall

Miliwolf
    Participant

oldgreyboy

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.