Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

went to birdlings for an hour or so this morning. got 5 doggys then came back to chch and went to pier with zac

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to kaikoura yesterday for a spearfish. Seen a decent work up off the coast. So looks like the kahawai must be on the way back in :) Bring on summer!!!

mulletman
    Participant

Sick of these bloody doggies

magooes
    Participant

Must be cold in the water at the moment yip yo ? Did you get anything?

yellowfin
    Participant

Surface temp is still around 10 – 11 degrees. Planning on going up to kaikoura sometime next month, hopefully the fishing will be better and the weather a bit warmer by then.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Myself and a small group from the fishnhunt forums are planning to fish the new wharf on September 11th (hoping excessive burly might encourage the Moki). Attendee numbers could be a touch low so if any of you guys want to feel free to come along.

yellowfin
    Participant

there will still be moki there anyways although numbers maybe low as alot of people there seem to take undersized ones as well so all the legal ones seem to be outfished

yellowfin
    Participant

Could go up on the 11th just depends on the weather, not going to go up and fish in the rain, rather wait for some good weather and go up for a few days.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I wonder if the fishery inspectors ever pay nocturnal visits to the wharf. I have never seen undersized Moki being taken so uncertain how big the problem really is.

I choose the 11th because high tide is around 10:30pm and I feel that is favorable for Moki. If the weather is bad, the Fishnhunt trip would be postponed until the 15th of October.

yellowfin
    Participant

I doubt they would turn up in the middle of the night but it’s possible. Normally I don’t pay much attention to the tides, there’s usually still something around to catch.

yellowfin
    Participant

never seen them in the middle of the night have seen people take undersized moki and have caught ones that are around 40cm and thrown them back myself even 30cm moki i throw back and people as why dont i keep it and i have told a few people that they are undersized. Most i would keep would be 45-50cm but last time i fished the wharf most were undersized from memory

yellowfin
    Participant

Most the fish species off the wharf are juveniles anyway. There must be better places landbased around kaikoura for targetting moki and blue cod that arn’t undersized. Planning on fishing the beaches around kaikoura more this summer and hopefully find some gurnard.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The wharf has two things going for it, firstly the light attracts the Moki in. Secondarily, the wharf is in a “no fishing zone” but a exception allows line fishing from the wharf. Other areas get pressure from spearing and boats. I done a bit of Kayak fishing and most of the Blue Cod are outside casting range.

For a serious overnight mission, could be worthwhile to walk down towards spy glass point. Watch out for the fossilised marine dinosaurs which are sleeping in the rocks. Could be approached from either Conway or Kaikoura.

Always see good size Moki in limestone bay. Could be worth a fish at low tide after dark. Never seen a Blue Cod while diving there.

fishforpot
    Participant

I caught 3 beaut gurnard off the beach north of kaikoura last year I think , was early jan from memory ….

It was incoming tide , about 8-9am ……just as the kahawai were thinning out a little …..if ya could get to the bottom past them you had a chance of a gurnard

We’d have been maybe half a mile south of the second creek “sawdust pit” ..theres an old 4wd track alongside the railway line that take you right to the spot ….But I imagine the beach is much of a muchness along there ……I was casting a good 100mtrs tho , trying to get past the kahawai

Strip baits of fresh mullet work best ….

No joy this year tho , kahawai , 7 gillers and skate were prolific

Drop us a line if your thinking of a mission up there tho , id be keen to tag along

Oh , I got talking to a local earlier in the year , he said he knows a guy who caught a kingie off the beach there , and his brother caught a 20lb snapper off the beach at manamanu ….Ive not been there , looks shallow at the south end , but who knows

yellowfin
    Participant

Heard a story about a kingfish off the beach there, probably the same one you’re talking about. Not sure whether to believe it or not though. I had thoughts of sending a balloon or livebait off the beach there if there’s an offshore wind or using a slide trace where you cast a breakout sinker with a stopper ring above as far as you can then slide your trace with live or dead bait down the line.

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.