Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I am heading to the western point of tara bay tonight for a Snapper fish. Probably a bit far from picton for you to join me.

St_Paul
    Participant

Hope you have some joy, not too far from picton. looks like I’m stuck at home.

fishforpot
    Participant

You guys really should use Kaikora for your little comp ……..its fish city

HAd a rod in the water this morning by 7.15 ….took 5 minutes for the first of 9 kahawai to land on the beach ….might have been 10 , havent counted them out yet “lost track” 2 large , 3 mid size , the rest nice eating size with the odd yellow spot still visible …including a double hookup

Also caught , 5 red cod , only 1 worth keeping …the other 4 were long , probably be well over 6-7lbs if they were in good condition , but scrawny worm filled things eeewww

5 skate …..4 large 1 smaller

Finally got some revenge on those damn 7 gillers that have been biting off all my hooks over the last 3-4 outings …….didnt need steel either …..

They werent huge , just over 5’6″ …..I dont advice foul hooking them just above the tail …..they are a totally different kettle of fish lol ……

The next 7 giller was hooked conventially , but bit me off , but guess what happened next lol ….yeah , I still dont recommend foul hooking them just above the damn tail ……..I got so pissed off after 20-30 mins , that once it was inside the surf zone , I just locked up and snapped it off ……..

My old man had just landed one an inch longer than the first one I caught , and he bled it out ffs , so I had 2 to dispose of argh , and they aint easy to put back , so rather than shag around I sacrificed a nice breakaway sinker …….

Oh , and 2 school sharks …..one 2-3 lb , which went back , and about a 12lber …which was very long, with big head , but scrawny body ….male

The old man caught nothing else , and his mate fishing on my right caught only a dogfish …
    In fact , as I rigged up their gear , and baited their hooks , it proved that the old adage “fish your feet first” may be good at night , it wasnt much chop today ….
    Both rods I was using are balanced and designed for distance casting , with all my hookups out beyond 100mtrs ….while the other 2 guys caught next to nothing at 50-60 mtrs,nor at 30mtrs on more worserer casts lol

I was belting out deep for the gurnard , which werent biting today….had no mullet bait tho , which might have helped

No rig either …….bugger

fish north of the peninsula , at the north end of the beach …..in fact theres a small river than runs out to sea a few kms north of the pub with the giant crayfish hanging off the side ……maybe 3-4 kms ….

fish on
    Participant

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did not feel like driving into the Kenepuru, So headed back to grove arm instead.

Unlike last time there was a real ‘summery’ feel to the air. Fishing was slow, only caught a Gurnard which is a good start. No carpet sharks or skates this time :)

High tide was around 9pm, I fished from 6-9pm then run out of pilchards :oops:

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished Amberley yesterday, fricken crabs were a right nuisance, caught flippin nothing but then nor did anyone else i saw. Shoulda flagged that rubbish and got up earlier and headed to kaikoura instead, i can punch out my line 100+ when needed so sounds like i might of done alright after reading your post fishforpot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It sounds like it’s been a heck of a day fishforpot. Was that in Kaikoura? Have you got any photos? Cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

No pics , son lost the lead from the cam to the pc ….little retard is famous for shit like that ….

It wasnt a fun day , was just non stop baiting and casting and retrieving fish ….I prefer the excitement of the rod bending maybe once an hour …..where as yesterday was like “oh shit here we go again ” and again and again and again

In fact it was so full on I never got a chance to sit down for more than maybe 2 minutes …rebaiting and washing the hands so many times the skin became soft and when tying up a new trace ,the line did the old lets cut into this clowns finger right in the join trick ……..its giving me shit as I type lol

The sea was milky blue for maybe 50mtrs , the quite clean …..1/2 – 1 mtr roll …and 7 sandfly bites argh

Take a look on google earth …..the main beach north of Kaikora township , well beside the township ….follow beach rd north , until you hit old beach rd ….see what looks like a poo pond ? ……then a sand or sawdust pit ? 2 creeks flowing into the sea ??? walk out either of those creeks ….and Id recommend fresh mullet or salked pilly as bait …..and some steel trace should be carried for sure …..

fishforpot
    Participant

Actually , walk out the first creek and angle south across the beach , maybe 200mtrs south of the creekbed …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

So you were fishing 3-4km north of the town proper. Have heard of someone getting into a enormous school of Kahawai on spinners by one of these small streams. I have personally never even explored that section of the Kaikoura coast. There is simply so much good looking water down that way.

The next spot I hope to try down that way is the surf beach off Mangamaunu.. Looks to be slightly shallower and sandier then the beach you were fishing off. Interesting to hear that the fish were feeding 100m+ off shore, I have had most of my luck on short casts just behind the first wave.. Been a while since I tried to get out that far.

fish on
    Participant

Miliwolf

gunnercoops
    Participant

went to Amberley last night for incoming tide, 3 adults 3 kids, 2 doggies for our efforts, left about 12.30am

fishforpot
    Participant

yes mili……..the kahawai were about 200mtrs offshore …was watching them on and off most of the day ….early this year , when I caught 3 gurnard there , I had to cast miles out to get past the kahawai , the sea was filthy with them as far left and right as the eye could see …..

I tried fishing in the back of the waves , no luck …..the old mans mate didnt need to try lmao ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

fish on

fish on
    Participant

i use 9ft to 10ft rods in the kenepuru yes you can fish high tide at island point if you get there at mid tide then you can attach burley bags to sea floor via some plastic cages that have been bolted to the rock which is handy there is a track down from the main road right above the island track is hard to find but its there i spent about 2 hrs last year clearing it at 3 oclock in the morning what a mission but its a good spot with plenty of room and have caught plenty of snapper and kawhai down there it doesnt seem to get used much as i always seen to be clearing my way through but you dont really need to drive that far down as there are some really good spots just before te mahia which usually produce the goods
    is the jetty in tara bay a public one?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.