Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like amberly and crab bait

fishforpot
    Participant

Certainly looks like Amberly , with the hollows scolloped out of the beach by the tide …..the weather paterns of late would fit in with my theory of fish drifting with the currents / prevailing winds …….

Awesome to finally see some proof of elephant fish here at last …..

Participant

Well pmaster cant say much more than whats been said but they are truly beautiful fish, well done big ups to you dude

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Buggerd if I could ever catch any as good as that, but who knows what the future holds, always room for improvement and I’d swap a Snapper for a Shark any day! Well done PM, truly a master at what you do. :dude:
    Did you feed the elephants pipis or were they uneducated ones that were just real hungry?

PierMaster
    Participant

all fish were caught on crab except for one rig which was on raw prawn, got the ele’s on small pieces of crab on a 3/0 also got the biggest rig on that too

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

You are a legend PM!
    No-one would share such precious secretive success-bearing information up here in the north for fear the next fisho would go and empty the ocean of every last specimen. The secrecy up here annoys the bajeebars outa me and can’t wait to one day be back on home turf where all things are so equal it is almost surreal.
    Well done mate, well done!

yellowfin
    Participant

Lol is there any secrets to catching rig? bit of crab on a reasonable sized hook and you can’t go wrong

Miliwolf
    Participant

I sometime feel a slightly rough sea can be extra productive for rig fishing.

Fishy Bishy

fishforpot
    Participant

I recall working thru christmas one year , and was bored shitless so rang a mate to pick up some gear and pick me up on his way thru town to go fishing ….

It was about 1pm when we pulled up at Pendarves , we looked over the cliff and were like “argh no!”
    The sea was that purple blue colour , you know , when its as clean as it will ever get ….and flat as a pancake

We were loaded with crabs for bait , and expected to catch sfa

As usual , the fish proved us wrong ……every cast was instant hookup …..no rod holders were used that day ….just cast and retrieve your rig ….After less than as hour it was catch and release , until the bait ran out …..we started using half a crab leg , or just a claw …..until we got bored hauling in rig …..

Personally I still prefer a filthy sea for rig , IMO the rough sea is more coincidental with the discolouration so maybe filthy and flat is more ideal

School shark on the otherhand , I can how a medium sea would provide more food for their prey , but some visability might help too so not too rough

Starting to get itchy casting finger tho , should have stuck with plans for a gurnard mission out in pegasus bay today , bugga

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from the tree spot in Mahau Sound. Firstly a couple of comments about the “tree spot”. Casting room is very limited at high tide. The bottom section of the track is very steep and the risk of slipping is high. Especially when carrying heaps of fishing gear in the dark. I feel a headlamp is essential. If I remember I would install a rope there for others to use.

Anyway, got there around 5:45pm, the plan was to fish over high-tide which was 6:30pm. Had a range of baits which include Squid, Razor Clam and Pilchard. The sky was mostly overcast and there was a breeze of varying strength blowing into the beach most of the night.

The fishing was slow, Spotties were a pain stealing bait. After a while managed to land a modest sized Kahawai which got turned into bait. The carcass should work well to attract paddle crabs next time I go chasing them. The tough Kahawai skin slowed the spotties right down. The fishing was still slow, caught another Kahawai and a couple more strikes which were probably Kahawai.

The only real excitement occurred after dark when one of my rods bent over for a few seconds. Was running low on bait so packed up and did the difficult climb back to the car at 9:45pm.

fishforpot
    Participant

There is quite a difference between “running low on bait” and “run out of bait” …….that few minutes could be all that’s needed to lift you into legend status beside PM

Miliwolf
    Participant

Only had 1 piece of bait left, plus just broke the line on one of my rods so decided it was a good time to start packing up.

fishforpot
    Participant

Fair enough ……sounds like a dodgy spot , just the sort of place I’m often finding myself fishing lol …..

Spencers park this morning , sea was lovely , except we need a Pier built or Tim the crab man to get in there and wipe out the crab population …….its out of control …..
    Never have I seen paua baits stripped in 10 minutes …..

I could put up with that , but the sea lettuce was such a pain in the bum that we only last just over an hour ….

Maybe Kaikora will be more productive tomorrow , it sure cant be any worse

fish on
    Participant

Finally got out for a fish lat night havnt been for a while hopeless really

went to a spot down the kenepuru that usually fish’s well squid and pillies for bait and caught freash bait pretty quiet but got a good size 10lber around 8 pm on squid bait so good result
    fished from 6pm to around 10pm hopefully get down again next weekend

St_Paul
    Participant

hi fish on,
    are you another marlburian, assume you are talking snaps??
    Am off to mow the mother in laws lawns to get some babysitting points and hopefully I can get out for a fish this evening round waikawa or maybe up the grove arm. Have finished resupplying my berley stocks stinky smelly job but needs to be done!
    Good to see the rig showing up, has anyone been fishing the ashburton beaches (wakanui, pendareves) there should be a few about down there and usually some good ele’s on prawns.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.