Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

oh k sweet

gunnercoops
    Participant

Anyone been out to Birldings / Baileys recently with any success?

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished birdlings last, night Lots of dogfish caught got one decent red cod.

Miliwolf
    Participant

That explains the lack of reports from around Canterbury. Hope they stay away from Marlborough for a bit longer :)

Went for a fish in the sounds last night. Caught a small Kahawai at the big tree spot, at 7:30pm moved to the small wharf at the grove but nothing was happening there.

yellowfin
    Participant

yep dogfish and red cod have hit the pier too

styl good numbers of blue sharks around just before dark with a few being lost in the last few days

just people dont wana listen when u tell them to let it run

yellowfin
    Participant

another blue shark lost last night by an asian. yet again, didnt let it run

fishforpot
    Participant

They any good to eat ?

The blues I mean

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t know about the asians or the blue sharks but I guess if you cook them right they’d be ok.

yellowfin
    Participant

yep they r best ive tried.

marinate them in lemon juice for hour or two. then cook like rig

couple blue sharks swimming round pier last nite. mate ben got bitten off by one .

then i casted out my float to get one and my line snapped mid cast . so we were watching my float juust floating past the pier then all of a sudden it took off at lightening pace

St_Paul
    Participant

Most of the Asians fishing up here don’t have a clue when it comes to playing a hooked fish. They usually fish for Kahawai with 20lb line, hook them and run backwards up the beach to just drag them in.
    Such a waste!! 6lb line + 3kg kahawai = :grin: :grin: :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

General pier setup is a telescopic rod with heavy line 50 – 80lb fishing for kahawai. I guess some of the idea for the heavy line was so fish could be pulled up but the solution for that is a leader long enough to reach the water attached to your normal 20 – 30lb.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have not had a proper Rig fish for several months and my few trips down to salty have coincided with rough or weedy seas. Have also been out of crabs for months which limited me to Salty.

The weather stations looked decent enough with winds from ENE or N with a little southerly further south. So headed towards Salty, got there around 4:30pm and found a rough sea. Plan B, drive back and fish Clifford bay instead, should have enough time to get there before the sun gets low in the sky. Unfortunately everyone wanted to drive 80km/hr today so got there a bit later then I hoped but the weather and sea was ideal for fishing so scrambled over to Monkey Bay.

I did not check the tide before leaving home but it appeared to be raising and near high (High at 8:25pm). Fishing started slow with a single Red Cod shortly after dusk. Checked the crab pot and had 2 crabs and 5 or 6 little black reef fish*. My crab catch rate improved as it got darker and the small fish went to sleep. Even caught a juvenile large red rock crab* on my final lift, Its immediately went into the compact defensive position quite a contrast against the paddles which prefer to fight or scurry around. I released the red rock crab. Got about 15 paddle crabs which should last me a couple of trips but more importantly have discovered a alternative spot to catch them which is less exposed to the bad weather.

The highlight of the night was a big fat rig (estimated 20lb) which took cooked prawn, also got a second Red Cod which was disappointing. No Moki but what looked like a second Rig strike as I was packing up around 8pm.

*uncertain of correct name.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went 4 a Night fish at the waimak mouth on Saturday night, I was using sum mullet that wouldnt stay together properly so i used some pilly sock which i got from Fishy Bishy and it worked a treat with holding the bait onto the hook, only had the mullet in the water 15 minutes whin i heard the line being ripped out of the reel, had a good 20 minute fight with a fish but he ended up breaking the 40 pound, (0.65mm) line :( Bugga but thats fishing hahaha

yellowfin
    Participant

Possibly a ray or seven giller because I don’t think you’d get much else at this time of the year that would give you a fight that long.

mikeyfish
    Participant

I fished the waimak month last friday, caught a nice sized kahawai but while bringing it in a cuda decided to have a go at it.
    Tore it to pieces! Must have been hungry cos it nearly beached itself trying to get the fish!

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.