Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

thnx yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Kaikoura during the week before going to Havelock.

Caught these two fish. Anyone know what the top one is?

Also got this Octopus in my operahouse net thing.

Saw piper swimming around under the light and still a few small schools of squid around.

Got this stingray thursday night.

Photo with PierMaster lol

Can anyone estimate the wing width in CM so I can get the estimated weight? lol

Only got mullet, kahawai and a few spotties in Havelock. Went to one good wharf that had big lights on it better than the kaikoura wharf. Even had more fish life than the kaikoura wharf with massive schools of small fish being chased by schools of mullet and the mullet being chased by big kahawai. Saw lots of herring and kahawai jumping clear of the water after fish. Also saw a few piper. Had no luck with anything bigger although I saw one eagle ray swim past. The wasps around the area drove me away from one wharf they got all over my bait and one got in my jersey down my back somehow, could only put up with it for a while lol

magooes
    Participant

That top fish is a female butterfish , very tasty when big enough to eat

Miliwolf
    Participant

I second a female Butterfish.

I assume you fish around Havlock habour itself? Never done much fishing there.

I have found the wasps (and sand flies) to be worst on the western side of the Sounds but they bugger off once it gets dark. One evening at Shag point someone left a bunch of squid behind and it was covered in wasps, had a bit of fun stoning them all to death.

Before I forget, went for a fish in the Mahau sounds tonight, was a cold, overcast but calm evening, fished over low tide and only caught a single pannie before it got dark.

yellowfin
    Participant

The place I got driven out of by the wasps was the Grove Arm Jetty, the really small one. I also fished at another wharf in one of the bays not sure of the name now. Someone said they get gurnard there but didn’t bother going back because I would say it would be nearly impossible to land a ray off it with all the things in the water around the wharf. The new wharf at the start of the QC track is really nice and the lights at night time are great but you have to turn them on yourself by turning the on switch on the main electrical thing then pushing the button above it. I’d say if I actually put some time in I would have caught more but couldn’t be bothered fishing most of the time so only ended up fishing a couple hours. Was talking to someone who goes out in a boat in the area and they get rig and elephant fish and said they also get gurnard, snapper and blue cod even though you’re not meant to take them.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Went up on the 1st to Kaikoura and watched these guys fishing in the evening for a bit. Me and Shark_Tale went to bed and woke up again at about 4.30 in the morning. I caught three Moki and one other dam fish which I can’t remember the name of. Andrew you know what it was! lol. Two of the Moki were a bit to small, one was ok which I’ll post a pic of but still I put it back.

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have lost a lot of rays due to the obstacles around the grove wharf, all of the moorings give them a huge advantage. I use to fish that small wharf often and never seen a wasp there, but I have only fished there in the evenings (Spotties are a pest during the day). Snapper, Gurnard, Trevally, Kahawai and Rays were the expected catch (other then bait fish). Have not fished it much during the colder months but I beleive Skates and Carpet sharks are common. During the spring Sevengillers and Rays are quite common.

yellowfin
    Participant

Possibly go up again next summer as I’ve got family in havelock where I can stay probably spend more time fishing if I go up again though. I tried for a ray at the wharf with all the poles and boats in the water but I’m pretty much certain if I hooked one of a reasonable size I would’ve lost it. The ray I got at kaikoura on thursday night was pulling full locked up drag on a daiwa saltist 50 like it was nothing there’s no way you can stop them when they get going.

yellowfin
    Participant

im gona head up to nelson soon cos my uncle just told me i can go up and stay with him for a few weeks if i wanted.

i was wondering were to fish?

Miliwolf
    Participant

How far are you willing to travel?

yellowfin
    Participant

not too far considering im 15 and have no car lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

That would limit your options. I have not fished around Nelson much so my knowledge is mostly second hand.

These a couple of fishing platforms next to the main road which follows the coast. Never fished them myself but often see people there. Also the entrances into the estuaries over the raising tide, the entrance into the Rabbit Island inlet (waimea Inlet) can be productive.

If you can get out to Pipin Island, walk/climb along to the 2nd point (or further). Maybe a 20 minute walk, been told the 1st little beach/point is rubbish and it is worth the effort to go further.

yellowfin
    Participant

ok thanx for that.

what are the expected catches?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Snapper and Kahawai around Nelson. Maybe the occasional Gurnard.

At pipin island kingfish are possible along with Snapper.

Rays are probably everywhere.

St_Paul
    Participant

theres always wakefield quay, I’ve got some good snapper and kahawai off there in the past, usually over high tide.
    The back beach can fish well too, It used to be a great shark spot before they closed the freezing works, but you can still catch Rays, kahawai, snapper and the occasional gurnard.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.