Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Fished earlier tonight at the pier. Only a few mullet for me and other catches were only dogfish and a few small rig when I left. Saw what looked to be a blue shark cruising around under the lights off the end of the Pier, was gone by the time I got my baits out again though. Sam says a guy got spooled 250m of line just after I left though.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught a couple of pannies, a guy I was with landed a decent size eagle ray from a point in Te Mahia Bay. High tide was around dusk and the sea was calm so should have been decent enough fishing. Maybe the moon was to bright but its still a few days away from full.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I’m still going up to havelock next weekend friday – monday. I guess there’s somewhere with a good range of bait for sale? Probably only take a bit of salted bonito with me and try catch some mullet or kahawai up there. The places that got mentioned last time I asked were aussie bay and the wharfs at the grove. What species will be around at this time of the year? Hopefully I can catch some baitfish and other than that only after anything that can take some line. Are there sharks around these places?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been a while since I caught a shark while fishing there. I suspect they are still about, might get a thresher shark if you are live baiting. The Rays are still around in number. Snapper are okay on lighter gear. Kingfish are still about but I have never targeted them. Earlier this year I caught Sevengillers at both Aussie bay, Grove arm and the Kenepuru, but think they might of moved out with the warmer water. Also saw a thesher in the Kenepuru.

The selection of bait in Havelock is not the best, but the 4square does have excellent prices on their bait. Other then that Hendersons and Hunting and Fishing in Blenheim are your best option.

Baitfish are still common just need to burley them in. During the day a tough bait is required to avoid the spotties from stealing it, Kahwai fillit or a mullet is perfect in that regards.

I would personally fish from one of the points, although snags are a major problem and they do require a short hike. I can give you a few more details if required.

yellowfin
    Participant

How deep is the water off these places? Is there a wharf at aussie bay or just a beach? Saw a few wharfs on google maps but wouldn’t know what ones are open to public etc Don’t really want to be driving to far or walking far either to fishing spots either.

Miliwolf
    Participant

No wharf at aussie bay.

There are three Wharfs in the Grove arm. I am 100% certain fishing is allowed at two of them, not completely sure regarding the new one at the start of the QC track. In general all wharfs (maybe a few exceptions) in the sounds can be used by the public, but there might not be land access to them.

There is the Wharf I wrote about a few days back, would be a longer drive.

The wharf in broughton Bay, quite a long drive. The wharf in tara bay is better but longer drive again.

Water depth is quite shallow but all wharfs allow boat access across all tides.

All points require walking.

yellowfin
    Participant

Probably stick to Aussie Bay or any other wharf within a reasonable distance along Queen Charlotte Drive.

What’s this wharf here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … 8&t=h&z=18

Miliwolf
    Participant

That is the Wharf at the grove. Fished it quite a bit, Rays are common but moorings are a pain. Have caught a sevengiller there in the spring.

Also caught Gurnard, Snapper, Kahawai and Trevally while fishing there (also baitfish)

yellowfin
    Participant

well me nd andrew went pier earlier this evening and both landed blue sharks

he will post pics with a better discription of wat happened tomrw

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah was epic stuff. By the time I got there the blues were gone and tide was on it’s way out, only ended up with a seven giller lol. PierMaster better post pics and report soon. Sams was over 7 foot and Andrew was there herring fishing and landed his on an abu 7000 with most the fight from the other side of the pier after it went under!

yellowfin
    Participant

yea was good fun

mine was 7.5 feet and Piermasters was 7.1 feet

yellowfin
    Participant

what were ther weights and how long to fight them both??

yellowfin
    Participant

didnt weigh them but i could hardly lift the head of mine past my waist for no longer than 2-3 secs

and bout 30mins for both of them

both hooked and landed within 2-5 mins of eachother

was good fun

yellowfin
    Participant

heres one bad picture but has both of them in it

piermasters on left and mine on right

yellowfin
    Participant

more pics of the day

also one of the 2 sevengillers

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.