Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

That last one had a big barb to but from seeing them moving their tale a couple times trying to get me I don’t think they can get to where I had my hand, dunno about sams one though lol As for releasing them usually wait for a wave and move them into deeper water with fingers in the gill holes on the top of their head or if gaff lightly in wing. I think you can move them from the holes underneath also. Only problem I heard about pulling them with the holes on their head is they can get infections from putting your fingers in there otherwise they’re strong enough and gloves would solve any problem with infection.

yellowfin
    Participant

F@#$ old account is deleted somehow lol

and umm zac , that was a mean weekend. i think they mite be all gone now ae

rdeejay
    Participant

damn lol if you guys get excited over catching dead weight old rays you’ll cream ya pants in real fishing country such as the far north where i’m from

yellowfin
    Participant

Hardly a dead weight, I had one a few weeks back that had about 4 runs that were all fast and unstoppable and took an hour to land and it wasn’t even that big. Try catch a fish in canturbury waters from land that will put up a better fight. A big ray will put up more of a fight than a kingfish any day, and what are your chances at catching one of them? Don’t compare stingrays to skate. Where are the pictures of rays you’ve landed? Seriously I don’t think you’ve seen how fast stingrays can move once they get going, and eagle rays even jump out of the water.

rdeejay
    Participant

And you think kingis are easy to land? all i was saying is that if you are targeting rays just to release them it seems so boring that you spend so much time to catch a species which is undesireable as an eating fish just to let them go, and you think those rays you got are big nah they are nothing compared to the black rays that cruise through the parengarenga harbour and through the mud flats those suckers are huge, well the females are anyway.
    Oh and why would i have pictures of me catching rays here i don’t wanna target the damn things.
    And lastly where have you fished why think catching rays is so fracken awesome!

yellowfin
    Participant

You say they are a dead weight though, they’re far from it. I didn’t say kingis were easy to land and I wouldn’t know as I’ve never caught one but from reading on another forum I’m certain rays are harder to land than a average size kingi by a long way. I know these rays are only small but they put up a good enough fight I can only imagine what a big one would be like. They can grow well over 200kg. My point is that other than a few species of sharks, rays are one of the only things you can catch from land around here that puts up a decent fight. Catching these “unwanted” species is my thing you don’t have to like it and obviously stingray fishing has never caught on in New Zealand.

[quote:2c5kaq2g]And lastly where have you fished why think catching rays is so fracken awesome!

I don’t quite understand that

Proof that stingray fishing exists, check these monsters out. Not in New Zealand but the same species and one 200kg one washed up at Caroline bay in timaru a few years back so I’m sure they exist.

http://img535.imageshack.us/slideshow/w … 329622.jpg

yellowfin
    Participant

and btw if u think they a dead weight u must be crazy. i had one on thursday night for 3 and a half hours and never saw it. it was running the whole time pretty much right up untill it snapped my line. having to lock up my drag most of the time so it couldnt spool me, even though the drag was tight as it goes it was still ripping line off like nothing, so they are deffinately not a dead weight

mulletman
    Participant

my god those rays were huge where were they caught??

yellowfin
    Participant

South Africa

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

…in the corner of their mouths…. :wink:

fishforpot
    Participant

A shame we dont get manta rays here …….27 feet across the wings …..thats a lot of ray

rdeejay
    Participant

bit of light tackle fun there ya reckon fishforpot hehe

fishforpot
    Participant

Id have to double up to 4lb to have any chance at all , 3 tonne of ray would have some serious tow

St_Paul
    Participant

big rays can also be pretty cunning when it comes to finding structure to warp around. have seen them hookup and head straight for the nearest mooring. There are some monsters up here that would probably go 200kg plus.

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe rdeejay’s never caught one? lol

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.