Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

6/0 and 8/0 . The 8/0 were just under $0.50 each while the 6/0 were $0.40 each purchase from main stockiest of your rigs in Blenheim (Should be easy enough to figure out the stores name). Know I can get hooks for half that amount online but I plan to use them before mail order could arrive. Was looking at the price for a retail package of Gammys, Owners and Black Magic hooks and they are approaching $2.00 each, buying them in bulk brings the price down to around $1.00 but the local stores do not stock the larger pack sizes in circles.

The 100 or so hooks should easily last me the rest of this summer and the best part of next. Thinking about hooks, I must purchase another bulk pack of 4/0 Owner SSW circle hooks, the ultimate Rig hook fits both prawn and crab perfectly. The only thing wrong is that they are not straight eyed, should import them from the states :idea: .

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to salty tonight to catch a few paddle crabs… The wind was from the N or NE so should of been calm. The air was calm but the southerly far out at sea roughed things up good. Was to rough to fish, got no crabs. :(

Only line I casted out got covered with sea weed within minutes.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Giant spotties are on the feed in the Pelorus sounds tonight. Report and photos to come tomorrow :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Finally got a camera? It gets so boring people posting what they’ve caught with no pictures to go with it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Kept the fish which allows photo’s to be taken. When I release fish I rarely muck around with photos because I want the fish back in the water ASAP.

yellowfin
    Participant

I see.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went fishing last night, a southerly was blowing and we all know that fish do not feed during southerlies :roll:

Got to the spot around 6pm, walked out to the point to realise I forgot the bait. Walked back to car….. Luckily it was extra low tide so the walk was quick.. Got two lines into the water and experimented a bit with different rigs and floats… A strayline + Float does have potential but still a work in progress…. Around dusk hooked a underwater bulldozer, had a tug of war for a while neither giving or taking much ground. It eventually went to ground and I had enough, did the drag up tightly and hook knot failed.

As it grew dark the easterly calmed and the Snapper started to feed but was not getting any hook-ups on whole pilchards. Decided to use half pilchards instead and quickly caught a couple of pannies, there were snapper strikes every 10 minutes or so. Around 9:30pm a couple of hours before high tide the rod bent over again and I landed this fellow

He tipped the scales at 7.2kg or just under 16lb. A personal best Snapper. He took a half pilchard on a 8/0 Kumho circle hook. He did not put up much of a fight for his size, have caught pannies which fought harder. He had swallowed the hook deep so I decided to keep him, a inspection of his stomach revealed a diet of mainly cockles.

yellowfin
    Participant

How do you know it’s a male?

fish on
    Participant

nice fish there what sound were you fishing

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

fish on

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tried a new spot last night.

Got there around low and the tide was incoming, quite a strong current. There was a decent size rock platform which should be dry at high tide but it was largely covered with a slippery mud. There was is also long rocky beach where surfcasters could be used. Not much in the way of fish life, the occasional conger was feeding in the shallows so were the mullet. Most boats stayed out of casting range and few were about after dark. It is a long slow drive along gravel roads to get there from Havelock and I feel the time is better spent to fish the Kenepuru. Although the access track down was good.

The photo shows one spot where a rock spike can be used, also found 2 or 3 other suitable sites so that should not be a problem. Also found another small wharf, it is a km or so before Shag point. Fairly certain the access down is public, 99% of the wharfs in the sounds can be used by the public, but accessing them can be difficult with the land above the high tide mark being in private ownership,

Here is the wharf.

I know that Sevengillz rates Kaiuma Bay but I have let to find a spot I like over that side. The outer most points of Kaiuma could be worth exploring, apart from along the beach I have no idea how to access them.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

A friend once caught a 17lb snapper off the end of the wharf you talk of.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the pier over the weekend. Sam txt me on thursday night to come to the pier as he was onto a ray after loosing another one earlier in the night. By the time I got there the handle on his reel was stuffed and not long after the whole handle came off and we had to handline it in while someone turned the bail arm on the reel. After about an hour of pulling it in by hand it decided to run again but unfortunately no one was holding the rod when I turned around and it got caught on the seat and the line snapped after about a 3 hour fight. Later on after everyone left I hooked up on a small ray which didn’t take much to land.

Ray 1

Friday night there was three hookups with good runs that all somehow dropped the hook or were foul hooked. Some time after midnight I was on and landed the first ray of the night.

Ray 2

Not long after I had got back to the end of the pier and casted out my bait again Sam was on with another ray, the biggest of the weekend and seemed really solid, possibly pregnant.

Sams Ray

Fished again Saturday night only catching barracouta and thinking the rays were gone but I finally got one later on in the night.

Ray 3

One stingray a night and none lost for me so a good weekend. Not sure exactly why there is so many at the pier at the moment considering there has only been a few caught over the whole season and I saw none caught over December/January. Possibly on their way north from Taylors Mistake/Lyttelton/South Brighton were they seem to reside over the summer months. There was other rays lost during the week and smaller ones landed.

Also I’m sure those rays look bigger in real life than they do in the pictures lol

fishforpot
    Participant

How do you go releasing them in the shallow water there ? …..Id keep my distance and sure as shit wouldnt be patting them like that …..they hurt when they hit you with that tail ..quick as a flash too ….
    Ive got the t-shirt lol

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.