Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Well done Mili, I guess the keys were still hanging in the door when you got back then?
    Wouldn’t happen in Sth Auckland!
    The low tide is generally a better on by my experience as you can identify the hollows, gutters and exposed food source (like pipis mussels etc) the fish will seek out when the tide returns.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I drop my gear and walked back to get them before continuing out to the point

fish on
    Participant

i have found fishing last 2 hours of incoming then first couple of the outgoing to be best and with the change of light have caught 12 snapper from shore this year so far which is pretty good biggest so far 16lb most from kenepuru but got 3 from rabbit island last weekend

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thats my favorite tide also but have had luck the few times I been out over low + change of light so changing my mind. Need to find a good point which is accessible around high tide.

The one I fished last night high tide route requires sneaking pass a Bache, Island point requires a deep paddle and/or a dodge rock climb. Going to scout out the four points before Te Mahia next time I have my Yak down that way but it is a long drive for a fish.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thanks for the direction, I think I seen the raised power pole and track before, was going to check it out last time I was down that way but a tourist was parked there so carried on. That point looks decent enough for a fish so might give it a try :)

Should also be a fairly short walk which is always a good thing. I also found the access track for the second point pass Te Mahia bay proper. Is quite a hike and a bit of bush bashing, also requires walking down a baches formed access path for a while. Can not remember any identify features but would be easy enough to figure it out next time I am down that way. Good to have several alternative spots in case one is occupied on arrival. Quite often find cars parked up in the acess to the boatshed spot in broughton bay when I head down that way for a fish.

There is also a access down to the beach just before Ohigaroa bay, it is marked by a large tree. Boat bouys can bust off good fish there and is not fishable over larger then normal high tides. The easiest access for the spiky point on the eastern side of Moetapu bay is down the beach I have found and is nor accessible around high-tide, there is a path but it goes right beside several baches.

fish on
    Participant

the point before te mahia is a good spot to fish any tide ive had some very good fishing down there dont take to much gear as walk up can be a bugger just got back from a fri night and early morn fish in kenepuru caught 14 snapper all up fishy as down there at the mo

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good to hear, about to head down there myself tonight :) Was going to fish their last night but canceled due to the threatening looking southerly, but it blew itself out quite quickly.

I thought all of the points (at-least the ones before Portage) require a decent walk to get back to the car.

Probably would fish the point near te mahia tonight, might sleep in the car then fish the dawn from the same spot. Just finished snelling a bunch of hooks so all the tackle I need is a few ball sinkers. Would bring three rods, two for stray lining dead bait and a live-bait rod. Hope there are good spots for rod spikes there :)

fish on
    Participant

there are a few cracks you could hammer them into the narrower the spike the better good luck down there if its anything like it was last night youll have a ball

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a overnight Snapper fish in Te Mahia Bay, Got there around 6pm and eventually got a couple of lines into the water. Snags were a massive problem, lost 12 hooks.

First Snapper was landed around dusk which was quickly followed by a second slightly larger. Things got a bit quiet with a odd Kahawai to keep me entertained, around high tide another Snapper was landed. Was nearly out of hooks, around half pass midnight I got a strong fighting fish on Kahawai fillet but it busted off. Went to bed shortly afterwards.

Up at 6am to fish the dawn, another strong fighting fish. Fairly certain it would have been a Sevengiller or Snapper because it was shacking the line.Had a few other fish get on and then got off. Quite a pleasant night. Had to head home at 8am because I run out of hooks

The Snapper took pilchard and anchovy baits. The strong fighting fish were both on Kahawai fillets. Also had squid bait but did not have much luck with it, might be because I did not use it much.

Managed to find a few cracks which could hold a rock spike. One was a excellent fit the other two were accurate. Think I might start using Youvella hooks there and treat them as disposable, no point losing Gammys or other expensive hooks.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Great report Mili,
    Excellent results though, right on a top spot!
    re Youvella hooks comment:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with them so don’t underestimate them.
    We just received a report from Brisbane this week and what a result!
    65kg Black Marlin on a Piper fly we tied on a 6/0 Youvella, designed for Snapper.
    (Check out http://www.PETackle.com)
    I sold Gammies for years and realistically, you have to ask yourselves, “how good does a hook have to be?”
    I need not use a Gammy ever again as the Korean made hooks have advanced in technology to be very comparable to Gammies and do all Gammies ever did.
    In my considered opinion, Korean hooks are where Japanese hooks were 5 years ago while Japanese hooks do not seem to have advanced at all, not that they needed to, they too are brilliant but have their faults.
    They are all man-made products and even Gammies can fail as all man-made items can from time to time, and they have already.
    Youvella is an exceptional hook and very good value for money.
    (For the record, we are not NZ’s Agents for them, just strong believers in a really good proven product)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hi Fishy Bishy, have you ever tried one of your foam floats just above the hook on a strayline trace. Thinking it could help keep the bait off the bottom and away from the snags.

[quote:209xure2]I sold Gammies for years and realistically, you have to ask yourselves, “how good does a hook have to be?”
    Has to be good enough to land the fish of a lifetime.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

The rig you refer to describes our Topfloat Strayliner.
    There’s our Topfloat Surf Boss too that would work well over there despite the absence of surf.
    The Surf Boss is actually not much cop in turbulent water so the sounds would be perfect. Ideally, use a stone sinker on a rubber band or similar so snags stay with snags.
    Re the closing comment on hooks, I think the previous report for Sean’s Marlin on 6/0 Youvella sums that up pretty well. :wink:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Purchased 100 Kumho hooks today, they are extremely sharp and strong according to the packaging. They are a first class hook also, I would never be seen using a lesser class hook and they are made with advanced features.

But to the point, they were sharp and inexpenisve. Only other cheap circles I could find were the Hunting and Fishing ones which were probably fine. Probably could of find Youvellas in the warehouse but did not think of it at the time.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Nothing wrong with Kumho either. What size, What $$$ and where from?? The cheap circles in the H and F shop are not Korean, they are more likely Chinese and won’t be up to the same spec as Kumho or Youvella nomatter what Don says to you. Their main importer sells under the brand Holiday and that is all outa China.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.