Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

there was around 15 or so and they were in really close too close for comfort actually without fear of damn near foul hooking one and obviously there was fish around for them to feed on but only they got the feed and not me, but if dolphins turning up puts the fish off the bite what about Orca(Killer Whales) turning up and being in as close as the front breaker geez i got a hell of a fright when this big black body and fin came out of the water.

yellowfin
    Participant

Orcas eat dolphins apparently. They also eat stingrays and have been seen throwing dolphins and stingrays completely out of the water. The sea life at kaikoura is awesome though, I saw a big pod of dolphins a few hundred meters out last time I was there all jumping out of the water chasing fish.

rdeejay
    Participant

Well i know they’ll quite happily chow down on seals, i remember watching a program where the orca just come out of the breakers and on to the beach and pull the seals off the beach, and it is quite amazing being able to encounter the sea life around there but i would of been happier to encounter some sea life on the end of my line!

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t catch a single fish? Did you try moving spots either north or over to the south side of kaikoura? Should’ve been some fish around at the wharf though if you fished friday night?

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished everywhere and every side 1 dogfish 1 baby carpet shark, was damn good the last time i was there a few weeks ago but not this time, but i wasn’t the only one having bad luck, oh well thats fishing for you.

St_Paul
    Participant

Yup thats why its called fishing not catching!!

Have seen Orcas chowing down on stingrays in close to beaches and rocks before. Scares the crap out of ya when one pops up real close.
    Hope the fishing improves by thursday as I’m down there for work for a couple of days.

yellowfin
    Participant

does anyone know of any other spots other than black rock to try target kingfish around canterbury?

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d say they would be around the whole peninsula and if they’re at black rock they should be on the other side of taylors at moki point

yellowfin
    Participant

yea anyone know any places other than taylors and boulder bay.

that u can drive most of way there?

yellowfin
    Participant

Look on google maps I saw loads of bays that you can drive to but a few good places on the rocks you gotta walk for a while

St_Paul
    Participant

Almost anywhere landbased you might catch a Kingi in Canterbury is going to require a bit of a walk, even up here there are very few spots that you can just drive up to. The grove wharf may be an acception

yellowfin
    Participant

I might be going to havlock at start of april, is there any fishing spots close to there? Never been there before. Not sure how long it would take to get from there to the grove. Would be start of april so dunno what the fishing would be like?

St_Paul
    Participant

Might be a bit late for kingis, the grove wharf is about 15 mins from havelock via queen charlotte drive. The wharf is pretty tiny, aussie bay is about 5 mins further on up the road, should still be some fairly big rays about though

yellowfin
    Participant

ma uncle has caught snapper there

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.