Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

what would you use for kahawai and mullet. all ive ever caught there was schollies dog fish big congers and one red cod i want some mullet or kahawai for live bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

lol i was in the car with zac on way bak from kaikoura one time ndj i nearly shit myself. crazy boy was overtaking on the mountains nd his chariot was sliding around everywere

nand yea zac theres other places to fish at taylors were the walk isnt far. like on the other side of the bay. over the hill from sumner. it closer than black rock and the waters no different. nd u dont need rod holders

fishforpot
    Participant

Spent 30 mins after fishing taylors looking for access to that public walkng track that drops down onto giants nose …..found it after a while

We gunna meet at the beach , then take 1 car up the hill , and walk down to giants nose to fish …….then walk back to the beach , picking up the other car on the way back lol …..how lazy it that lmao

To think we used to walk out to a point on the end of the peninsula on every day it was fishable , 4 times over a long weekend …a walk equal to the bridal path…
    Until I bought a 4wd , now we drive all the way hehe

HIPP
    Participant

Finally get to post a catch :)….thanks to your info on this site re cooked prawns,

Me and a mate got four Rig over on the coast at the weekend and a schoolie

Two of them on the prawns and the other two on crab but noteably the praws had already been scoffed!

And went for a Salmon fish at the Waimak last night…to no avail.

Hope to get out somewhere to try the Prawns out on Sunday this side of the hill “new moon”Sunday.

have a great week, HIPP

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t end up going to black rock and just went to lyttelton instead. Caught some of the usual herring, kahawai, spotties and dogfish. After a few hours of fishing I hooked a ray, had a good solid run and I thought I’d have time to wind in my other rod but by the time I wound it in the ray had run right into the rocks and the hook had pulled. Definitely not mucking around winding in other rods from now on after losing two like that. Few hours later hooked into another ray had a really hard and fast run had me running over the rocks trying to keep up with it as it headed over the other side of the breakwater. Put some pressure on and saw something go flying accross the surface and make a splash and after another 15-20 minutes I got it in close to the rocks to see It was an eagle ray. Spent another 20 minutes trying to get it to the right spot to land it.

Was so surprised, didn’t think they would be this far south and this would be my first one.

Was going to fish again today but was to tired and packed up, probably lucky I did because the southerly would’ve hit anyway.

Peppermint
    Participant

Where abouts was that caught Zac? Looks like its down by the breakwater by the boat launching ramp? Been down south the last week, weather wasn’t great but still fishable. Nothing but dogfish at wakanui, dogs at Ashton too and a leopard seal sleeping about 50 metres away from where we were fishing….tried to feed him the dogs we caught but it just looked at them as if it had never seen one before.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just off the breakwater at navel point. Went to another little wharf friday night and was catching herring at about 1am usually I don’t catch them at night.

yellowfin
    Participant

it was later than that wasnt it?

like 2.30 or 3?

lol our shitty fish on the little boat lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac have you ever tried eating one of the rays you caught? Or do you only target them for their fight?

yellowfin
    Participant

No release them all. Only fish I really eat are rig an elephant fish everything else is either bait or gets released. Spent nearly 10 minutes trying to release that eagle ray as it wouldn’t swim off, had to go into nearly knee deep water and push around the rocks and back into deeper water.

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished Kaikoura Friday and Saturday, absolutely abysmal! was up old beach rd on Friday afternoon, damn dolphins turned up and were up and down the beach back and forth and if that wasn’t bad enough imagine my shock when i’m watching the dolpins while standing by my rod and a fricken orca pops up through the waves..holy crap! lol then another popped up just a bit further out first one was in range of my casting distance with the ticer hehe yeah bloody right! but what a sight to see, so yeah that kinda ruined the fishing for the whole beach area. Railway Station, Wharf and Sth bay on Saturday all produced nothing for me and everyone else around fishing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have had okay fishing when dolphins have been around, uncertain if they are a good or bad sign.

yellowfin
    Participant

Much like RDJ, I have found fish go off the bite when the Dolphins turn up, Ive seen the little buggers at every beach Ive been to this summer.

yellowfin
    Participant

I thought the fact that Dolphins are around would mean there’s baitfish around… And that’s a good sign isn’t it?

yellowfin
    Participant

Baitfish wont be feeding when they’re getting chased by dolphins. Maybe the aftermath and left over baitfish on the bottom could attract fish though

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.