Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I hook them the same when using them dead and alive. Just one hook through the mouth and one through the back fin. I use 5/0 – 7/0. It’s also important to use a wire trace otherwise you’re most likely going to get bitten off. You also need a small ball sinker to keep the mullet down, and set it about 1 meter below the surface.

Barracouta are pretty stupid though. When I ran out of mullet at Kaikoura I put a peice of one of the barracouta I’d caught under a float and hooked a barracouta. Tried a spotty under a float another time but it just circled it a couple times and swam off. They pretty much always go for the head end so the second hook is more to hold your bait on especially when casting.

rdeejay
    Participant

Another way if using live is to bridle rig them, u can use rubber bands or for an easier method zipties, thread through the front of the eye socket and around on to the hook set the hook so the barb will face back wards and lock up the zip tie..let fish swim off and wait.

yellowfin
    Participant

Doesn’t sound to good for the fish if you want to keep it alive also a waste of rubber bands and zip ties plus to much mucking around. As I said barracouta are pretty stupid, and if they’re around it wont take much to catch them, just put a hook randomly through a mullet and cast out under a float, give them time to swallow it and strike. I think I saw somewhere that you can hook kahawai through the nose, but doesn’t seem to work with small mullet and the hook just pulls out. I’ve had mullet survive for ages with just hooking through the mouth and through the back fin.

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive only ever used 1 hook , just in front of the top fin , thru the skin and no more ….
    You dont need to cast , the fish will pull the float out , and swim around all day ……
    The ball sinker is a must , have it a foot above the fish ……..doesnt need to be big

rdeejay
    Participant

perfectly fine for the fish, most common live rig used on boats and lets the fish swim more naturally and gee $2 for a heap of zip ties hardly gonna break the bank :p, no mucking around it’s just as easy to do as putting a hook into a fish.

http://ultimatefishingblog.blogspot.com … -bait.html

yellowfin
    Participant

The zip ties I’ve got have been more than $2. I use zip ties all the time but just don’t see the point in them for live baits

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Zac, I knew the method used for big kahawai that you see on Matt Watson’s show would not suit those 100g mullet… Will try that on the weekend when I go to the Pier.

Went there on Saturday morning but caught nothing except for quite a few mullet. Had two strikes though. One was definitely a big kahawai, pulled off the hook quickly after biting and the other one was a shark that bit my whole dead mullet that was under a float. Suspect it was a school shark as there was a guy over there who had spent the night fishing and caught around 6 of them.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just came back from the Pier.

Got there at around 6 and stayed for about 5 hours… Caught nothing but five or six mullet. Tried live-baiting after getting the first one but had no success… Tried using the fresh fillets as well but didn’t catch anything. Mostly the bites I got were crabs but I suspect that at some point there might have been Rig in the area. Just a theory but for maybe 15 or 20 minutes they stopped biting and I don’t remeber any of the asians catching them on their crabcatchers during that time. I guess it’s because there were fish in the area, don’t know. All I had close to crab was shrimp but didn’t catch anything using them either…

Next time I’ll use floats to try and keep my hooks away from crabs, heard only the most agressive ones will actually swim up and get a floating bait.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Popped down to the beach with the family yesterday evening. Caught a rig and a small red cod. Our daughter caught a very large red cod (the biggest fish for the evening), the cast was short with a 10foot rod and was only about ten metres beind the breakers!. Wiffee realed in a small kahawai which spat the hook on nthe beach i ran to it to grab it got to touch it as a wave came through and took back to sea BUGGER.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just back from black rock …..1 8 lb schoolie …1 kahawai and a few coutta ….
    Had coutta a stingy and a 15lb conger at our feet in the burley …..

Had 1 decent hit , it ran so fast initially the reel overspooled ….first time Ive had that happen with the baitfeed on …..It wasnt bad tho , fish threw the hook tho which caused the overspool ..

Can only speculate what it was , something big powerful and extremely fast … next time aye

yellowfin
    Participant

Might go to black rock this weekend, never been there before. Will I need rod holders or will there be somewhere to put my rod in the rocks? Don’t know what gear to take but obviously not to much because of how far it is to walk. I’m stuffed sometimes after walking out to the end of the pier with my gear. Still trying to figure out what rock is black rock on google maps but I guess it’s obvious once you’re there? Are any of the rocks on the way to black rock accessible to fish?

rdeejay
    Participant

walking to black rock might kill you then if you get stuffed walking up the pier lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah well I couldn’t even carry all my gear out at birdlings flat on Saturday so maybe I’ll have to go light. It’s only the chilli bin that’s annoying but maybe instead of taking a load of bait I’ll just take a bit of bonito and hope I can catch enough kahawai or mullet for bait while I’m there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Black Rock is the headland in between Taylors and Harris Bay if you’re looking on Google Maps.

gunnercoops
    Participant

def travel light to Black rock, only time I went, took a heap of burley which made walking fun, it was early in the season and only doggies were there. bit of a walk up and down the cliffs. Nice deep water right off the rocks. Nicest place I have fished locally.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.