Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

LOL at casting. My fave is the run like hell towards water when it’s going back so you don’t get wet, do the almighty cast releasing your right hand completely off the rod so your left with no balance almost trip over and the rod tip hits the ground cos only holding with left hand now and sinker flying off in random directions. I watched a newbie casting off the rocks at Lyttleton one day, dude was trying to catch the rocks! haha casts were going off sideways.
    Dude Tm breakout sinkers 6 for $16 free postage, Palmetto username.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished Te oka yesterday, caught one kahawai and some small spotties. Also caught my first ever puffer fish. Road was has seen better days was rutted after the recent rain

bluey
    Participant

hi piermaster just wondering where you got those elephant fish and how to target them always wanted to catch one

bluey
    Participant

hi piermaster just wondering where you got those elephant fish and what you used cause i’ve always wanted to catch one thank

yellowfin
    Participant

you can catch them almost any beach around christchurch.

the pier, birdlings, wakinui, spencer park, amberly, bayleys

fishforpot
    Participant

Elephant fish will be here for maybe another 3-4 weeks ……..Hit Baileys beach at say 6am in the morning ….use shellfish for bait , or half crabs without the shell or legs , just bind it onto your hook with cotton ……..

Id avoid Amberly ..20yrs ago it was good …..not sure about lately tho , but I could never catch an ele or rig there even kite fishing back when 50 hooks were allowed

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpot, where is Baileys? Was searching on google and couldn’t find it…

St_Paul
    Participant

drive out to birdlings flat and then head down the kaiteriti spit road to the carpark at the end. Walk down to the beach (or 4WD if the access road looks OK, beware it is a soft shingle sand beach so let the tyres down a bit)

fishforpot
    Participant

Bayleys maybe …..I always have a bitch of a time finding Mike’s number in the book , he owns the land along further …

yellowfin
    Participant

Spent the week in Kaikoura. Caught a lot of small terakihi, spotties and various other undersize species. First night caught a small conger just on dark, then hooked something massive at about 11pm, came around the south side of the wharf and made a big splash then ran out 100 meters and came out of the water again, was just so powerfull and fast even with my drag as tight as it could go but the stupid swivel pulled out and I lost it. All I saw of it was a big black shadow in the water so don’t really know what it was, but most likely a big seven giller or blue shark. Some other guys there had been putting a lot of burley out half an hour before I caught it which most likely brought it in. There was another guy there who got quite a few legal sized moki and another guy also got a conger.

Over the next few days I fished the wharf again and caught small terakihi, blue cod, wrasse, trumpeter, moki, spotties, kahawai and mullet. Also caught loads of barracouta at night with big schools of them around and saw a lot of activity and jumping out of the water most nights. The squid didn’t seem to be around though with only a few small schools of around 4 or 5. Was good being able to park my car right on the wharf especially the night that it rained. Was nearly asleep in my car one night when I heard the faint sound of one of the bells on my rod, looked out the window and couldn’t see the tip of my small bait rod with sabiki trace on, so opened the door and heard the sound of the drag then saw it being pulled off the wharf, so had to jump to grab it. As soon as I put the pressure on the hooks pulled but was definitely a stingray. That’s a good reason why you should always set your drag no matter what size hooks you’ve got on and I’m sure I would’ve lost my rod if I didn’t.

On thursday I had a float out during the day with a live mullet under it hoping for a barracouta. Not long after I put it out noticed it moving then go under so wound up the slack and after a minute I was surprised to see a good size salmon, I guided it down to the steps but somehow managed to snap my rod once I had it landed and the hook pulled, I quickly grabbed it but had it slip out of my hands and back into the water which was annoying. Around 6pm hooked a stingray which stayed close in to the wharf most of the fight and went right under at one stage, I didn’t know I could bend a Kilwell 222 so much trying to get it out thought it was going to snap. Guided it down to the steps and lucky the tide was up and there was someone around to help me land it.

Just before dark I got another slightly bigger conger.

A while after dark and on dead low tide my drag started going off again just slowly so picked up the rod and put some pressure on and was on to another stingray. This one went out quite far and put up a pretty good fight, didn’t know if I would be able to stop it at one stage but got it in close to the wharf and was lucky again some random people turned up to help me get it to the steps. This one was quite a bit bigger than the last one but being low tide there was no way of getting it onto the steps and after trying to pull it up the hooks pulled. Only got one very bad picture.

Arrived to the wharf friday morning to find caution tape accross the entrance, nothing to say why. Finally went to the beach for a fish, stayed for a few hours, caught nothing so packed up and went home.

Here’s some pictures of the wharf.

At high tide the water is around 30cm or more over the steps which is perfect for landing fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished an interclub competiton at Coopers Lagoon today, only one fish was caught which was a 2kg kahawai and called off early because the southerly came through. Not even a single dogfish or rig.

mulletman
    Participant

hi zac im might be going to kiakora soon and i would like to know what bait and traces you were using. i never thought soon many diffrent fish could be caught off one warf!! :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

For most small species I just use a sabiki type trace which is just like a ledger rig with 5 or more droppers and small size 10 or 12 trout hooks or size 8 or 6 in sabiki size. For bait most species there seem to like bonito or shellfish like tua tua works very well. Information for other species can be given for the cost of $630.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Zac,
    Brilliant work there on the new wharf. Well done!
    A mate of mine, he’s quite bit older than me, recently spend all day and very late into the night fishing the beach behind the railway station with his brother-in-law. They caught all sorts of fish including a very big blue moki, gurnard, skate, kahawai and several other species that I can’t remember off hand. It sounds like the fishing may be better once it gets dark.
    Yellowfin :)

rdeejay
    Participant

Good catches there Zac. I’m heading back up on the 12th i’ll fish a few different areas do some spinning again at sth bay for kahawai.
    Was talking to the guys at Complete Angler someone landed a Kingi off the main beach by the station.
    Hey Zac your big one that got away pulling line on full drag sounds like my incident at the bay there was bugger all i could do except hold on for dear life lol but i got to see mine for about half a sec and all i got to see was a big fish mouth opening up then diving back under the water taking off and chucking the hook…it definitely wasn’t a big kahawai i’ve hooked up on big kahawai before seen them and lost them and this was one pulling like heck big time.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.