Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

Sam

yellowfin
    Participant

still alrite size though

if u want to catch big ones go to pier

theres heaps of big ones there

yellowfin
    Participant

I would recommende the Kaiapoi. Have been there quite a few times and on every “trip” I caught at least one fish of 30cm or more.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a 1.3lb mullet and another similar sized one at timaru last I was there also had a few really big ones at the pier.

St_Paul
    Participant

HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker
    Participant

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have wondered once or twice wither there would be the occasional Kingfish harassing the Kahawai as they gather outside the mouth. I suspect they would stay fairly far from the shore and never enter the river proper.

St_Paul
    Participant

I know a few of the Kahawai I’ve caught down there have shown some significant damage that doesn’t look like couta damage. I know a few guys who flyfish out in the sea and often see kingies harassing the kahawai as they are forming up. You’d need a fair bit of line to get a livie out past the bar at the moment and chances are with the numbers that have been fishing down there lately some bugger would catch your live bait.
    Its pretty murky down there today. stopped in for a nosey on the way back from kaikoura and reckon it’ll be at least a couple of days before it clears.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I reckon casting from the south side would aid in avoiding many of the lines.

The guys which you know who fly fish out in the sea are they at the diversion or elsewhere?

St_Paul
    Participant

They have been launching out of robinhood bay and going out a ways. Huge schools of kahawai and Couta (Couta are great fun on a fly rod!!)

rdeejay
    Participant

Went camping in kaikoura for a couple of nights, fished a couple of different spots. caught 2 red cod, 2 dogfish and 2 school sharks at one spot, and 6 kahawai and a big ass barracouta spin fishing at another, lost something really big on my bigger baited rod which i suspect was really big couta given that it felt the same as the 2nd couta i caught on the spinning gear, it was taking line with full drag set! but the hook came out.

fishforpot
    Participant

Snuck out thursday night to baileys ……took 2 young guys , first timers ….

We targeted school sharks but got dog fished out …..a change to crab baits saw 8 rig landed ….5 of which were released

The boys had a ball …….

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome fishforpot, how big were the rig? Any photos?

rdeejay
    Participant

Getting more people hooked on fishing there fishforpot, did ya teach them how to bait up or were you the bait rigger as usual.

fishforpot
    Participant

I wouldnt call it aweomse , worse than average maybe …..wanted elephants , but moreover wanted large school sharks …..I refer them over rig any day ….the rig were mostly small ones …6-7lbs …fiesty as tho ….2 were about the 12 lb mark .

Could have caught dozens , but who wants to fillet fish late at night when working the day .
    No pics ….

You know how it is rd , tying their shit , baiting and casting most of the time ….

Let one guy cast , he did this awesome hop skip and jump thing as he let rip , looped the line around rod tip and PING!

And the other guy , rig was pulling too hard , he couldnt make the reel wind in so tightened the drag right up …PING !

$4.50 a pop for breakout sinkers ….gets expensive taking newbies out lol

Oh , the old man went to Pendarves , sealice city !!! caught dogfish and a few small schoolies ….his highlight was a kahawai

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.