Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Perfect size squid for eating and bait… Must get down there and catch a few.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was great catching them. There was some massive schools and seeing the squid jumping and the barracouta chasing them was so cool.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did you try using a Squid Jig or just the cast net?

yellowfin
    Participant

Just cast net. They didn’t have any squid jigs at hunting and fishing but I’ll look for some on trademe for next time.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Warehouse does/did have a selection of squid jigs in stock. but probably better value from trademe anyway. Was told by a aussie who chases aussie squid all of the time that the Yo-Zuri Squid Jig out fish the generic ones 6 to 1. They are also significantly more expensive.

Also would not want to use a Yo-Zuri when the Coutas are about.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught a trevally in the grove arm tonight, pleasant evening over high tide. Fished from 7:30pm-10:10pm.

Fishing was very slow, even the spotties were off the bite. Caught a few mullet including a few big ones. Almost landed a garfish/piper. Going to target these buggers one night shortly.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone know when the piper are around kaikoura? Want to plan another trip to kaikoura and hopefully spend a week there to make the trip worth it, just gotta wait for some better weather.

yellowfin
    Participant

exactly 7.43 every sunday night

Miliwolf
    Participant

If you plan to spend a week might as well head up into the sounds where you have the chance of catching a Bronze whaler and a few other different species. But that would easily double the driving time.

I do not have any trends with regards to when Piper turn up or go. They seem to be around most of the time, slightly more common at night.

yellowfin
    Participant

wen u go zac ull have to take me with u lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Lol I doubt I’ll be catching any bronze whalers but I’d be up for some eagle rays further north, just might be a bit far to travel and I’d say petrol costs would be getting well over $100 to go any further than kaikoura.

HIPP
    Participant

caught a garfish in queen charlote sound in early december,

caught on small hooks with small amout of mussel for bait,
    (also got some small ky,1 gurnard,some mullet,one ray/skate and spotties by the ton )

kept it for bait and then herd on my return that they are pretty good eating!

Also saw more at night under ajetty light but was on bigger hooks by then.

Cooking tips anyone?

Cheers ,Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, it would be over $100. Blenheim is a extra hour and a half from Kaikoura, then the nearest decent spots in the sounds are 45 minutes from Blenheim. Reaching French pass is around 2hrs from Blenheim, Titirangi is approaching 3hrs.

HIPP

HIPP
    Participant

thanks, will give it a try…just gotta catch one again now lol

yellowfin
    Participant

fuk id be keen as zac

id put in for petrol

50 buks enuf?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.