Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

The only reason I would argue against the introduction of a size limit is that they make excellent live baits. Probably would be happy with a bag limit of 6, would certainly slow down the slaughter of small fish,

Fishy Bishy
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t know there was a limit on Yellow Eyed Mullet

fishforpot
    Participant

I heard talk of a size limit being imposed exclusivly for the Pier ………Im not sure how they’d get on saying you are talking livies lol …..you put em back live lol

For KAHAWAI …..not mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

Usually when I go up to the pier I just get as many kahawai and herring as I can of any size, saves going up all the time to get bait when I can just get them all in one day.

Anyone know if there’s a limit on conger eels?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fairly certain they are covered by generic eel so 6

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive caught the odd brat kahawai up the Avon over the years , but thats about it ……
    The numbers Ive seen caught off the Pier astounded me ….and I do wonder what damage is being done to kahawai stocks as a result ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Was just wondering what would happen if you caught more than one seven giller at a competition the second one being bigger than the first what would you do since you’re only allowed one?

Miliwolf
    Participant

There is no limit on Sevengillers up in challenger :?

If you caught two in a comp, you would have to release the second one. Have to hope that they allow weigh and release which really should be standard practice for comps.

yellowfin
    Participant

hi all just join the site
    went out to black point taylors last monday with a few mates caught a 7pound kawhai not a bad sized grey boy gave it to the asain that was there.had a cuda on but lost it the rocks not a bad effort for the first time there with new gear :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to Kaikoura on friday. Was to windy to fish the beach on friday so went right to the wharf, caught a few herring, small terakihi and spotties. After dark got around 20 squid using my cast net. Was some massive schools even saw the squid and barracouta jumping. Used one of the squid to catch a stingray Saturday morning, dropped it right down on the bottom and watched the stingray come sit on top of it. Fished the beach for a couple hours and only ended up with a conger and two cod before going back to the wharf. Caught a few small moki and other undersized stuff before dark then got a few more squid. Only got one skate and a doggie at the comp but still won a prize.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Were the squid of decent size? Might have to make another trip down there just to target them.

Caught a average Skate at the comp today. From the reports I heard the north end of the beach was fishing better. Weather was good…

yellowfin
    Participant

went up to kaikoura on sat

had a fish on wharf for a bit nothing so went to south bay but nothing again so we went to beach and only caught a mullet then went to wharf for the rest of day and got an undersize moki.

quite good to see the squid off the wharf

aparently they wer in bigger schools the night before but zac styl got a few

comp on sunday first cast small skate. took bait as soon as it hit bottom pretty much but nothing else. still got a prize though

yellowfin
    Participant

oh also fished southshore spit on friday at end of rockinghorse road

fished exactly opposite shag rock

did a baitfish for a bit caught quite a few mullet then we cast out the whole mullet

one of my mates hooked and landed a small stingray and hooked 2 more small ones but they busted off

then ma other mate landed a small stingray

and on ma last cast i hooked and landed one too and it took me about 600 meters down the beach to land it. it would of been close to 110 pounds. it was a mission getting the hook out of its mouth and even harder to get the thing back in water

it was amazing because none of the stingrays we landed were the same ones :)

i have a picture but dont know how to post it?

yellowfin
    Participant

Here’s a picture of the squid and the conger I got on saturday. the fiery ginger has the picture of the stingray.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.