Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

fished the pier the other night saturday i think with a few of the boys. i think there were 5 rig caught only 2 were keepable the others were too small so released also 4 good eles hooked only one landed which was about 12lb i hooked one but didnt get too see it as one of the boys was bringing it up on the line for me but apparently it was huge lol

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

When released, do these undersized species simply get dropped the great height off the pier to the water or is there a more resourceful way to return them down there now?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Popped out to the coast yesterday evening, was hoping to fish over the high tide going on the loss of daylight but was met by an awful southerly blowing that had the sea going sideways. Decideded to throw a couple of baits in the water only stayed an hour and caught a small rig which i released.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to Saltworks tonight hoping for a few crabs and a bit of a fish. Was meet by a gusty inshore wind and a rough sea. Hard to keep bait in the water. Crab pot eventually got snagged so I left it there.

HookLineSinker

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishy Bishy

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Sounds barbaric especially when you go back and hope to catch a bigger one later.
    That is a good 15 feet above the tide as I recall, yes?
    If these fish are affected from poor handling through the “long drop” method, perhaps a release frame could and should be deployed.
    Something like a crab pot design or similar in soft fine netting so that these fish may survive may be an idea for starters?

yellowfin
    Participant

Had thoughts of a net type thing to lower fish back into the water but not practical to take up every time. I wouldn’t know how the crabs survive after being thrown off the side either. A landing ramp or something would definitely be a good idea and save long walks to the beach for bigger fish.

Got this schoolie last night, didn’t see any rig caught.

Been some big schoolies around the last few nights from what I’ve heard so they’re starting to show up.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just had a report from this morning at Baileys ….A mate went there

Sea 1.5-2 mtrs the odd 3 mtr swell ..LOADS of debri in the water ……hard to fish .

He caught 2 rig and a 25lb schoolie ……

Lets hope the sea drops a little for tomorrow night

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah hoping to get out to one of the beaches, might try Dorie if the sea calms before the weekend then I’m heading up to Kaikoura.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I tied mine to the railing, hopefully it would have freed itself by the time I next get down there. It is due for replacement so not overly concerned if I do lose it. Hoping to try a different style net next time with a bigger opening. But the local stores only stock small Opera style nets :| .

yellowfin
    Participant

Fishy Bishy

gunnercoops
    Participant

A mate of mine went to the pier yesterday evening and got a barracoutta, and some small KY, sounded like alot of small KY being caught.

fishforpot
    Participant

Have they got a size limit for kahawai off the peir yet ??? last time I was there , asians were filling buckets with them , 3-4 at a time on bait flies

yellowfin
    Participant

There’s no size limit for them anywhere, just a limit on the amount you can take.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/marlborough/n … 204&pnum=1

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.