Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yea was sure a good weekend up in kaikoura zac alot of congers and a few 7 gillers pitty u werent to flash sunday lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Landing them on straight mono trace is luck usually and depends where you hook them and if the trace somehow ends up in it’s mouth or tangled around it’s body it will most likely snap under the pressure.

yellowfin
    Participant

oi greg post up the pic of my sevengiler lol

zac u wer pretty fukd man

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the Pier this morning, got about 7 kahawai and 15 or so mullet within a few hours, was just dropping down between the crab catchers and getting double hookups as soon as the trace was in the water. Also got at least my limit in crabs from other people without even putting a catcher down. Went over to lyttelton but didn’t have much luck, only excitement was a bird getting tangled in my line. Hopefully the sea will be calm enough tomorow for a fish at wakanui.

fishforpot
    Participant

Took a 90 minute drive to Menzies bay yesterday , walked 30mins around the hill and climbed down an incredibly dangerous bit of cliff to get to a really scedluded spot …..

Next thing we have asians beside us …..how they found out about that spot I dont know ……

Ya should have seen his setup …burley sack hanging in the wash ….this cool fish holding colapsable net with floats on top on a rope ……all their fish went into that staying alive till they left
    Then he drove a metal spike into the rock , and had a wooded crossbar mount on that , on the wood were 5 metal clip things that held his rods paralell to the water ….
    Thankfully he only used 3 rods , and his wife 1 …..but he had 5 hooks on each rod

Apparently he’s been fishing the spot for quite some time , and regularly ……..which would explain the lack of fish compared to days of old over there …

So we caught sfa , a few small blue cod and a coutta …beautiful day tho

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did he also have a very cool fishing vest? Could be the same guy I bumped into one night at Kaikoura, was highly impressed with his set-up.

fishforpot
    Participant

Might be the same guy … no vest tho …..

You wouldnt want to carry too much gear , the 4 surfcasters were telescopic ….and he was using a handline lol

1 slip on the way down and youd be dead ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

My guy did not have telescopic rods so probably another (although could of used the tele rods to aid in climbing down to the spot). They certainly have the knowledge and ability to have very innovative gear. Hope to check out the fishing stores in a few asian cities one day just to see whats available.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to a beach just south of ashburton today. Got two small rig about 5lbs before the southerly picked up and got to windy and cold to make the fishing enjoyable.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hoping to fish Kaikoura tonight, bit worried about the southerly but the forecast looks promising. Might not risk it, plus the wharf would be busy if it is fine.

Went for a snapper fish New year eve, tried a spot in the Mahua sounds but it become unfishable due to the king high tide. Eventually retreated to nearby bay which was shallow… Fished change of light, only a few nibbles. Might hit Rarangi tonight instead :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Just came back from Timaru.

Went to the wharf when we got there on Friday and caught a decent amount of yellow-eyed mullet, includding the biggest I’ve ever caught at 450 grams.

Tried Normaby on Saturday. It was great when we got there but around 15 minutes after our baits were in the water the place became unfishable: The wind was just too strong. We then went back to the port to fish from the rocks. Got busted off by the biggest carpet shark I’ve ever seen. It went to the rocks and stayed there, stuck because of our trace, during the whole morning (we could see it clearly as it was low tide). As soon as high tide came, it left. Caught more carpet sharks and dogfish. I’m suspecting there was some major dogfish or baitfish action going on as we could see bites all the time but they rarely were hook-ups.

Anyway, Timaru is quite a nice place, it seems. Normanby seemed promising, I’ll go back there definitely and will also go back to the rocks to try and catch moki and other fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Kaikoura about a week ago – reasonable numbers of moki around the wharf but almost all are undersize (although that didn’t stop the guys fishing by me from keeping them). Fished at Taumutu a few days later, not much happening. Fished in the tekapo canals last night, got a brown trout and a rainbow trout.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sounds like the fishery officers might need to do a few nocturnal visits to the wharf.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a cold evening surfcasting..

Fished rarangi with a range of baits (Squid, pilchard, crab, prawn, clam). Was hoping for anything really. The dream catch would have been a Snapper, Gurnard or Trevally… But was mainly targeting Rig, Moki and Sevengillers. I caught nothing.

I was sheltered from the NW on arrival and it even calm down a bit. But a southerly turned up quickly and cooled anything down and roughed the sea up. I was not expected much but fished change of light anyway. High tide was around 10pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.