Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

If you pick a good day , and drop to a single hook with light line , a high rod holder and walk into the water a tad …..then youd be amazed what fish you can catch off the southern beaches on gear most people would never dream of using off a beach ……

As for bait , I head up Dalington way and drop a burley cage off a footbridge ….Ive found the top of the outgoing tide the best ….I head up there because the water stays clear …and I prefer see the fish coming …so I dont get bored too quick …..tho there are a LOT of distractions to keep one ammused lol ….

Ive seen a mullet in town , Oxford trc …..past the middle point of “the strip”

And I caught a full grown kahawai off the Avondale rd bridge many years ago …….and dont doubt they chase the mullet way way further up than that

yellowfin
    Participant

That’s a really nice school shark baitman. Now’s about the peak time for them at wakanui I think. Went out to wakanui today but was a bit rough so didn’t bother fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

baitman
    Participant

thanks thats the first time I had fished wakanui needless to say it wont be the last. it has fed alot of people, also it had pups in it ready to come out so i did a quick ceaser any they all swam away which was cool. I checked out its guts to see what it had been feeding on all i found was remnants of a small fish which could have been days old.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish last night was crappy as managed a small kahawai and 2 average mullet all caught on crayfish had a couple of decent hits though they didnt hook up

fishforpot
    Participant

Where did you head ? and was it the fishing crappy , or conditions ?

fishforpot
    Participant

Headed out to spot Y , along baileys last night ……

Seems it isnt so secret anymore , with obvious signs more than a few vehicals have passed thru the access point …
    God help anyone who hasnt sort permission from the cocky , who is VERY anal about people going thru there

Anyways , got there at 6pm ……..sea had elephants written all over it ……a 6 inch swell was puffing at the edge of the drop off ….
    Perfect conditions for ultralight lining ….2.6 lb line I think I have on that reel , maybe a little lighter
    First cast , and I must have landed right on top of a nice cow , maybe 9-10 lb ……

The others who’d joined me were getting stripped by crabs , so I figured Id wait an hour , try for another ele then chase the big schoolies ……

Wasnt 20 mins and I saw the wind on the water , a SW wind closing in on us …it wasnt forcast on any site Id checked , it slowly built to the point were it was too cold to be enjoyable ….
    It was still fishable , but the others handnt come prepared for the cold ……so we packed it in

rdeejay
    Participant

And bugger i missed ya text too i was out all day and was a dumb arse and left my cell at home, i was out that way too.

fishforpot
    Participant

The old man left early , noticed on his way home the wind had dropped a tad , so thought he’d try Coopers , then changed his mind to Dorie , then Pendarves lol …not far out of the way as he lives inland

1 school shark , 1 rig , a skate and doggie …he lost something big …and his mate lost all his gear when something big took on a screamer before biting everything off

Oh , I ate you kahawai , it was YUM lol ….. and you didnt miss anything re the fishing ….bloody forcaster again , hopeless bunch

rdeejay
    Participant

Yeah i bet it was yum, sorry i couldn’t make it up to get it, probably gonna do an overnighter with the missus up in Kaikoura when my friends get back on the 9th seeing as tho i have to look after their place while they are away, wheres a good place to pitch a tent by the beach?

fishforpot
    Participant

Follow the main rd , over the hill heading north ……

Past the pub with a giant cray hangin off it ……follow that road a few km’s maybe till it vears left a little ….you go more or less straight at that point , leavig the main rd …….old beach rd is the rd you want ….

Follow that , past the saw mill ….and over a creek …at the 2nd creek you will hang a hard right , plenty of flat ground there to pitch a tent …
    The creek winds along the beach a bit and is a perfect spot to drop a burley bomb , letting the creek do the work

A local mentioned another bay further up the coast to try , started with M…or W lol gettin old lol , its just past where all the surfers head ….we are gunna try there next time we go north

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Kaikoura on Friday night and Saturday. Caught a small seven giller on friday and lost two congers right in the breakers.

Got a small Kahawai and a red cod on Saturday morning. Also hooked about 4 congers, only landed 3. No big ones. The congers were everywhere, think I hooked 7 all together.

Got this seven giller saturday night.

Slept most of Sunday but got one kahawai on a spinner before going home.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice job Zac, Ive never caught a seven giller before do you guys target them specifically? I note that quite a few of you guys have landed them of late.

yellowfin
    Participant

I haven’t seen the pictures of the ones other people have landed. I’ve had 5 this season October – Now, but I do target them. But generally if there’s one around and it’s hungry enough it will take just about any bait. Sometimes it’s not hooking them but landing them without getting bitten off or them getting their tale around the mainline. I use 80 – 100lb shockleader and wire trace.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Most of mine this year have been by-catch. They seem to be much more common then previous years especially in the Sounds.

When I target them I use 80lb wire trace (I find lower breaking strain trace is a bit flimsy) and my rig is made out of 200lb+ Nylon. Then I use a 40lb shock-leader for extra abrasion resistance. But I landed several of 80lb and 40lb nylon this year.

One store brought flasher rig has landed a couple which is quite impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.