Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Aww and ya didn’t even bring me a kahawai :(

HIPP
    Participant

Good job, that will fill the frezzer a bit, wanted to go out myself tonight, but southerley now !!!

fishforpot
    Participant

3 of us went up ……and I took the 5 smallest , love crumbed kahawai , especially those small fellas ……

I thought of you last night , and had forgotten by the time I told the others it was catch and release from now on ……..

We were chasing carrots …..but alas couldnt get past the ky …..I dropped to 1 bait to belt it out past them ,and screw me blew caught a ky on the way to the bottom with the unbaited hooks …..in the mouth , and black hooks … crazy fish ….

Lost a rod and reel into the sea too …..managed to foul hook the mainline down the beach a tad , so got it back ….lucky …… :oops:

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park saturday moring,drove down beach towards the whymack mouth and fished at my normal spot, got first rod in water at 5.20am pipi for bait,getting 2nd rod ready and bang the 1st rod bent over landed an elephant at 5.30am got both rod in water and was catching fish on both of them had both rods out of water some times as each rod had caught eles the action was hot caught 5 elephants and lost 2 by 7.00am approx 1 1/2 fishing got one more eley at 7.15 and then it went quite when the sun came out so packed up and was home by 8.00am the best moring fishing i have had in such a short time.. some of the eles were jumping out of the water 50mts out to sea as they were hook fighting more like ky, the sea was nice and flat but not the cleanest had alot of sand stired up in it, the biggest was 6kg the others approx 4. 1/2 -5kg an absolute wonderful few hours fishing. had deep fried fresh eles with mate at 2.30pm him listen to my storys lol

fishforpot
    Participant

5 +1 = 6 ?? do you know the daily bag limit ?

It certainly goes off on its day down there …..good to see they were good size too …..can only recall catching a few cows down there , for some reason theres oodles of boys down there …..

elmo22
    Participant

yes off course i know the limit i have been fishing for over 30years and alway obey them not only for fin fish but shell fish etc yes 5 + 1 is six … limit 5 … just because i did not say i released the last one i thought common sense would be used here on this site.. have never caught my limit off whitebait can you tell me what that is .. fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

Imagine having to count the suckers lol …….mind you , the way last season was , it wouldnt take long ……

Hard to keep up with limits , a mate and I argued the limit for blue cod around banks peninsula ….I said 30 , him 10 ….I was right …
    Today , we argues the kahawai limit …..he said 30 , I said 20 …..both wrong lol …..its 15

Red cod is 10 ….Id have said 30 …..
    Seven gillers , is 1 ….. just as well they aint flash eating as Im sure id have been busted lol ……

And I had no idea about that spotted grouper , or white pointer having a zero limit …..

yellowfin
    Participant

When you people say Spencer Park you mean the south side of the waimak mouth or the actual beach? And when you go there do you get “deep” (like thigh height) in the water before casting? Or you catch the elephant fish relatively close to the beach? Thanks

fishforpot
    Participant

The eles will go into the river …..how far up I dont know …..wouldnt suprise me if they went into the lagoon ….along with rig

But we mean from Spencers , right down to the Waimac …….some spots are better than others along there , but they can change over night …

Depending what stage of the tide you fish , and time of day ……theres may not be a need to even get your feet wet …….
    I recall a moring a few years ago , wading out thru a channel 3-4 feet deep , onto a sand bar inches deep , bait inside the pocket of the waders ….

Simon turns up , many will know Simon , mad keen white baiter from th south side of the Mac …..he casts into the channel we’d waded thru ….we were catching the odd ele in the open sea …
    And Simon was catching his bag limit in the gut behind us …

If you dont have a 4wd , take a push bike ….check the beach at low tide , and return the next day to fish the spots you found ….

yellowfin
    Participant

So what you look for in low tide are signs that a shellfish bed is not far away, right? Because that would be the main food source for Elephant fish, eh?

Thanks

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Shellfish especially pipis, gutters and potholes.

yellowfin
    Participant

lol shot zac. so this is that conger

elmo22
    Participant

there is not normally much signs of shell fish along the beach, but down by the mouth there are often big cockles washed up there , i have got some during whitebait season but have not used them yet, i hope they will be as good as pipis, fishforpot is spot on in what he has said in the above post.. i have never caught an elephant in the river but have heard of some been caught by the yacht club of the rocks

Peppermint
    Participant

Long time reader, first time poster.

Read a lot of things here that have really helped my fishing, still waiting for the weather to come right before I go and try a few spots around christchurch. Really need to catch some mullet for bait. How far up the Avon are they normally? was down at my dads a couple of weeks back went to pendarvase early morning and got a small greyboy each and a few dogs, went to wakanui beach later that night and caught about 10 dogs between us within a few minutes of the line getting wet.

I have a bit of fishing gear that’s not really suited to surfcasting, not sure where abouts to go and try it though. I’ll give the pier and lyttleton a go I guess.

yellowfin
    Participant

Pier is probably better for catching bait (mullet/kahawai), just buy one of those sabiki traces from any tackle store and use small peices of bait (bonito or sheep/chicken/ox heart etc). You’ll catch mullet and kahawai at lyttelton but I’m pretty sure there’s no wharfs you can fish off, only off the breakwater. If fishing off the breakwater you’ll probably catch more spotties than anything else. Pick a spot with no weed and wind in fast without stopping to prevent getting snagged.

As for the Avon I don’t know, I think they go pretty far up. I just fish by the boat place at new brighton and have good luck sometimes, just have to wait for a school to come past.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.