Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

HAHAHA settle big fella …….simply mentioned him as your “mate” cause you had attacked him a few times on here lol ….

Worked a charm lol …….

I used to catch way more rig in the past , simply because I targeted them more ….and vice versa for ele’s

I think as more people are learning about the baits to use , they also are catching loads of these fish ….

Way way back when , the rig out numbered the dogfish , and it was hard to catch anything else ……oh how things change huh

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fishy Bishy

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Quite right MW, the other factor is the same as in freshwater fishing, fish the change of light and the results will generally be significantly increased. There are many on here that fish the likes of Spencer Park beach and even the “pier” (a place I will never drop a line…) these areas always produce more at night.

I only recall one contest in the club circuit in the evening and then the after contest BBQ was at the preferred feeding time for Rig etc.
    The main difference then was that Rig didn’t ask for Tomato sauce on their crabs. :D

Thanks goodness for forums, and anglers who share the knowledge and experience that others may too enjoy their fishing outings.
    I once worked with a guy who refused to share his knowledge yet expected to sell tackle to his customers.
    The foundation of the retail sales scenario was made from information.
    The product sales simply justified the messages and employed those who told them.

There is however a limit to how deep that foundation should be constructed, know what I mean? :wink:

Haha….I just realised reading back, fishforpot referred to a member called…..”muppetman”!!! PRICELESS! :lol:

fishforpot
    Participant

crikey ….musta been a typo

yellowfin
    Participant

fished birdlings sunday some comercial boats were still in bloody close!!! a bit quiet got a ele with in 30 seconds of casting with crayfish as bait other than that just a few mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a fish on Saturday night. Started with a dogfish, then caught a medium sized elephant fish on cooked prawn, then a skinny red cod that was missing half of it’s lower jaw, also on cooked prawn.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Surfcast tonight at Spot F. Was the first time I seriously fished this beach for Rig.

Was hoping to head down to Spot Seaview but thought the northerly winds could rough it up a bit. Got to spot F around 7pm and after a bit of mucking around had 3 rods in the water. Two with crabs one with prawn (hoping for a Moki). High tide was around 8pm.

Spot F was very calm and sheltered from the Northerly winds which was a big plus. Started off slow but after a hour or so was rewarded with a nice Rig est. 15lb, around dusk that was followed by its cousin of similar weight and moments later caught a small rig on the prawn bait. First time I caught Rig north of the diversion.

After dark something stole all of the prawn baits, also had quite a few crabs stolen so a few rigs must have been around. Would fish spot F again.

baitman
    Participant

went to wakanui last evening we got a 5kg rig on a paddle crab bait and a big(21kg 160cm) grey boy on the measely bit of squid ever, had just caught a small spikey dog on that bit of bait I put back what I had taken out of its mouth !! I intended going back to the truck for some prawn to put on so I put the line back out so one of my young fullas ( I have three 10 ,10 , 8 yrs that I use as rod holders) could hold it. On my way back to the truck 2 of them started yelling so i grabbed the one that was ripping off line like it was gonna spool me. Alex saw to the rig (good effort I thought) couple of blokes puting out a kontiki down the beach ran up after seeing us hooked up. 8)
    video on my youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0VBGnR2dyU

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Oh yeah, that did it for me!

Now I reeeeeeeaaaallllly miss the Canterbury coast!

Excellent catch, great footage and the excitement of those kids will live in their memories for ever and ever.

Top marks Baitman. :grin:

St_Paul
    Participant

Well done MW. Nice to know there are some rig about up here.
    Was down in Kaikoura yesterday and today for work. Had a fish last night around in south bay, got a decent red cod just after high tide then nothing for 2 hours.
    Went out early this morning to Hapuku, Mate got a nice kahawai on the 6 lb spin set, but nothing else. Tried mullet, prawn, crab and squid. All the baits were quietly stripped off. Suspect some major crab action going on.
    Fished off the mouth of the kowhai river this afternoon. again no action on the surf rods but did manage 4 Nice kahawai on the spinner. Was heaps of fun as they would only take if the ticer was 20gm or smaller and only if it was fished almost or on the surface. Big crashing hits!! :grin:

Large flocks of birds working all the way south from kekerengu reckon it would be a cracker down there tonight.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have found fishing around Kaikouria is fairly crappy unless after dark for Moki. Good water north of the Clarence. Heading down to kaikoura tomorrow for a spearfish :)

Now you know there is decent Rig fishing only a short drive from Picton… Anything from the north should be pleasant enough fishing there. I was fishing next to the Fire station but all access points down that way should be identical imo.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

baitman

baitman
    Participant

cool thanks for the photo (I’d eat that lol)
    I used some the other night I did the same sort of thing using the head shell binding it to the shank of a 5/0 with the rest of the hook in the tail like you showed. It stayed on really well i was quite surprised.
    What do you do with the skate? eat it?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Although the skate would have been eadible (as the british do) i let all skate i catch go again.

fishforpot
    Participant

Old man went to Dorie last night ..a few schoolies and a few rig …..

Mate and me went to Kaikoura north …..1 small rig last night , along with 4 skate
    This morning saw the fishing improve …15 kahawai ….another 4 skate , a few doggies and 1 red cod …

I think my mate caught the same skate 3 times last night …each time it came in it had more holes in its lips lol ……

Kahawai were jumping out of the water all over the place this morning ..was all over by 8.20am , when a southerly blow came thru ….

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.