Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

crabs strip crab bait quicker than they strip fish baits from what I’ve found.

fishforpot
    Participant

Any size to the schoolies ? ? I only tried fish bait twice , 100% hit on the dogfish lol ..

Was pretty quiet alright …least we got a feed …beats coming home empty handed

Just spoke to the old man , he was at Coopers Lagoon about 5am ..he said a trawler without lights on was heading south and not far offshore …Out in front of him was a bigger boat , plenty of lights , he thinks it might have been a factory type ship …
    Quite possible the bastard commercial boys came in and raped the entire beach from Birdlings -> South ….it sure would explain the almost complete lack of fish at a time when the beach should be loaded with breeding fish…

Anyone know where the catch would end up and when ? be interesting to see how the commercial catch compared to the recreational catch Sunday ….

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Dorie this afternoon. Only used one rod and crab for bait, got one ele and lost another. Going to be to calm this week for rig I think.

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park at 4.45am saturday morining but when i got there the wind was already blowing quite hard, went for a drive down the beach and sat and whatched the sea, it was to rough so went home,,went to south shore on sunday 2pm to get pips and crabs got plenty of pips but the sea was still rough at low tide and only got one crab in my pot,normally get my 50 when conditions are right..so a bad weekend for me , a safe one for the fish lol. i would of gone raikia or baleys but i though the sea would have been to rough after the southerys

yellowfin
    Participant

At the moment the sea south of birdlings flat is all well below 1 meter swell and meant to stay under 1 meter all week so nice conditions for fishing.

fishforpot
    Participant

11 oclock yesterday it was 1 foot with the odd 2-3 foot set rolling in now and then …….it was 3-4 foot earlier in the morning ….Id imagine it would be like a lake tomorrow morning …..

yellowfin
    Participant

Sometimes when it’s that calm you can catch almost nothing, not even dogfish. I remember the first time I fished at birdlings flat it was so calm and clear you could’ve went swimming, there was no swell at all just tiny waves breaking, caught nothing. Meant to be norwesters later in the week probably good for sending out a kite.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a bit of fun at Blind RIver tonight…. Sea was reasonably calm and there was no wind. Fished the incoming tide, got there around 7:30pm and packed up around 9:45pm. High tide was approx 10:10pm.

Crab was the main bait because Rig was the target. Quickly landed one before the second rod was in the water. Was followed by a second a short time later. Because I had a non-angler friend with me I decided to cast out a Squid bait to try and increased the range of species.

Got a good sized Dogfish, followed by a small one (First ever on crab, but my friend caught it so I still have not caught a doggie on crabs :P )…

Towards dusk the Big Boys turn up to play, had a good tussle with a moderate size sevengiller. After sunset one of my crab rods went ballistic, I got my friend onto it but he quickly gave the rod to me (Line was being ripped off)…. I fought it for a while but my crimp failed :evil: … Was a good night in all.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Schoolies were small at baileys. Odd thing happened though, had a 2/0 keeper hook on one rig , it came back crushed closed! Do crabs have that much strength?

fishforpot
    Participant

They do if ya buy the hooks at the warehouse lol ….

Ive found , when the sea is dead flat the fishing is like shopping at a supermarket …but only during those first and last 2 hrs of daylight …

But as with all fishing trips , ya just never know what or if ….just the luck of the draw

gunnercoops
    Participant

no warehouse hook, I tried to squash one in my fingers afterwards..didn’t even move…would not like to get my fingers in those crab claws.

elmo22
    Participant

going to baleys on firday night and staying the night and fish saturday morning,i know the tides are not that good but have to have a go

fishforpot
    Participant

Started at 7.30 at Kaikoura north …..dogfish city along with 4 skate and a few big red cod ….

The wind blew like a bitch , sand blasting us to death before dying down around 9ish
    Double hookups of doggies saw us head bac south to Conway flats …

Soon after getting set up , the wind blew 3 times as bloody hard as it had earlier up north …talk about painful …..could hardly breath , seeing wasnt even an option for a while ….trying to bait up blind folded lol ……

The wind died before swinging southerly , then died and back to a gentle norwest or westerly ….

dogfish were present but in lower numbers ……another approx 10 skate and a few more reds ..

The highlight of the day was a scoolie , 12-13 lbs …it broke the hook but luckily got snaged in the tail by the other hook lol …..

Overall …it was a shit day both weatherwise and fishing …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a fish in the grove arm last night, started around 7pm and headed home at 10pm.

Apart from the occasional extremely strong wind gusts it was quite calm. Fishing was slow, caught a few Kahawai then a sevengiller just before dark.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Headed down the coast yesterday in the gale force winds managed to find a realitivly sheltered spot. The wind blow and changed directions just as it did for ffp further down the coast and then calmed off. Was reasonably pleasant apart form the short swift southerly change. Saw several dolphins playing around.
    Caught some big red cod, a few schoolies and a nice rig. Lost another good fish in the wash right at my feet (possibly rig) and had several hookups drop again, BUGGER!.
    Heres the rig, just a medium sized one.

And heres something you dont see off the coast everyday, usually to rough and too dangerous to get off the beach.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.