Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Lyttelton today for a few hours, got one stingray and my mate got a bigger one.

My one

Mates one caught on Alvey combo and 20lb line.

Both released

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Thats a hell of a nice action on the rod Zac, what is he using for the Alvey?

Great catches, I’ll never take the harbour in such complacency again.
    It seems a lot of species have come back since the dredging stopped, or are they doing that again?
    Good clean looking water, better than it was last time I saw it. :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s a kilwell alvey rod. Stingrays have always been plentiful in Lyttelton I think.

Anonymous
    Inactive

good stingers zac and photos…..well done !!!

I have been warned not to set flounder nets in the harbour overnight if the stingers get in ….they destroy the net :oops:

fishybishy, the dredge ‘Peraki’ was sold to the philippine’s , my grandfather a ‘master mariner’ was her proud captain for many years,

not sure what goes on now ?

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I had a mate that worked for Lyttelton Engineering for years and he worked on the maintenance of it too. Small World. (That was Chris Tomlin, he went onto an Army career and is now in Oz I believe.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Small world alright,

my Grandfather, had a long career with the Harbour Board…and a lifetime love for Lyttleton…He recently passed,

He was known as ‘Captain Pugwash……..He ran a tight ship, lol

Grandfather was also known for his ability to ” park it on the spot ” and was for a time Master of several other vessels including the ‘Te Whaka’

Unfortunately, previous exposure to asbestos, can catch up with these blokes,

Thanks for bringing up the ‘Dredge’…made my day :D

edit

fishforpot
    Participant

Sorry folks , its official , JAWS was caught today ……But for all those with childhood dreams of catching the beast – there is still hope !!

rdeejay caught the monster at about 8am this morning …after an enormous battle that seemed to take hours , pushing the limits of his skill , and testing the quality of gear way beyond manufacturer specs , the camera shy and totally shattered fisher was reluctantly convinced into releasing the freak of nature …..

Also caught during an otherwise quiet morning , was a rather fiesty rig , and a couple of nice elephants ……

yellowfin
    Participant

So what he landed it and didn’t take a picture?

fishforpot
    Participant

I offered , but the rush was on to get it returned alive ….and he was shy lol

yellowfin
    Participant

What was the length?

Fished at an interclub competition at South Rakaia today. Fishing was fairly bad, dogfish after dogfish as soon as your bait hits the water, waste of time. Left the crabs at home so couldn’t try for rig or eles. dogfish and skate won the competition, also a couple school sharks. With fishing that bad you’d think it was the middle of winter.

fishforpot
    Participant

Doesnt suprise me the club thing was quiet ……my old man was at Coopers and caught squat …

We had to work hard to keep fresh baits in the sea to get the elephants , 3 actually …the rig had attitude , was only about 12 lb …it spun when I gaffed it , ripping the gaff out of my hand like a 20lb conger would …I hit it again , and it spun and spun , ripping a big hole in the side of its head …..talk about a fiesty bugger ….
    Missed a few hits , they just werent in feed mode , might have been business time …. :wink:

We had an advantage tho , rods were in the water by 5.15am …mind you we caught the first fish at 6.30 , 7.30 , 9.30 then 10 am ….

Youd have to ask rdeejay how big his fish was ….I wouldnt want to guess …had no tape measure with me …and Im not sure his scales would have been that accurate , assuming it didnt break them ….

yellowfin
    Participant

For the first half hour of the comp I had 3 traces all baited would wind in one dogfish cast out next trace, rebait other one, wind in another dogfish and do the same all over. Got tired after half an hour of walking up and down the beach winding in dogfish. Probably woulda been 100 dead dogfish thrown in the sea after the weigh in.

fishforpot
    Participant

There was a trawler out in front of the Rakia about 5ish …ya wouldnt know what damage it had done to beach thru the night …but its a huge beach ….

We were way east of you guys tho ….at spot Y ….lol …..the Y is for Yummie fish lol

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

gunnercoops
    Participant

Was at Baileys yesterday morning, crabs were stripping everythng pretty quick, including crab baits. Did get some decent sized ones for the pot though.
    Schoolies and doggies the reward for gettying up early!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.