Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

mulletman

yellowfin
    Participant

Got this Seven Giller on Sunday Morning at the Pier, not the best photo though. Was around 6ft. Released.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Ooooh bugger, would have been way better filleted and frozen to keep the family fed for a week or three.
    Might have saved a bit of tackle from chew offs too. :roll:
    Great catch just the same!

yellowfin
    Participant

Most people don’t like them to eat, plus I already have enough rig and elephant fish fillets to last a while. I think bigger species like seven gillers are best for catch and release.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I struggle to think of many things worst then having to eat Shark for several week <a href="“>

baitman
    Participant

when using cooked prawns for rig bait are frozen ones good or do you go for the fresh deli ones?

Miliwolf
    Participant

baitman

baitman
    Participant

Thanks for that. Has anyone tried off the south rakaia huts lately? The mouth is so far south this year I was wondering if it will affect the surf casting? I have caught a few schoolies and some spinys but can’t seem to find a rig or ele.

fishforpot
    Participant

I doubt the fresh water effects them much , Ive heard rumours but have caught them IN the rivers

Quite possible you would do better down at Dorie , Ive never had elephant fish at Pendarves tho ……..

Id guess its the time of day your fishing ….get your rods into the water by 5am , and I bet you have better news to report …….especially for elephants

Start at about 8pm and expect the fishing to get hotter as time ticks by , rig feed more in the dark , and the school sharks seem more prolific in the evenings ….

Put in the effort , and I bet you will have better news to report

gunnercoops
    Participant

Miliwolf

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Same…..
    Even put them out on the Torpedo and came back untouched.
    Fussy buggas, maybe Countdown need to get their act together and provide a better quality chuck away Prawn… :D

Miliwolf
    Participant

I find Paddle crab to be a significantly better bait for Rig then prawn. But when paddle is not available it is the next best option. At times they would take prawn and leave the crab baits untouched, the other night HLS out-fished me using prawn when I had paddle crab.

Prawn is also a usful bait to have on hand when chasing Moki. Both raw and cooked prawn work on both species. Prawn and Crab are excellent when the doggies are around because they do ignore them, Red Cod also rarely take them so they are a good selective bait.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Iv found recently that prawns for me have worked just aswell if not better than crab myself personally, but this could be in the way im rigging them or where im fishing them possibly and also that thats all im using intil i get my self some crabs to use along side the prawns and compare.

baitman
    Participant

I ve caught heaps of rig at night on crabs usually around 10-12kg (only ever caught 2 small ones (3-4kg) and that was during the day).
    Tried softbait crabs and got nothing never caught one on squid or anything else, gonna give prawns a nudge got some yesterday still with shell on is there any trick to rigging them to stay on better or do you just thread on hook and go?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I just push them onto the hook then wrap bait elastic around them heaps. Stays on well enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.