Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

One of the cod we caught the other day had a baby cray in its inards

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might go on a couple of Moki missions this week, Robin hood bay on Wednesday, then kaikoura on Saturday :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a rather uneventful trip down to Kaikoura.

Got there around 1pm and fished in front of the railway station until 4pm, then I moved to the old wharf….. Fished until 8pm and only caught a mullet. Other fishers caught a small KY while I was there.

Heard a couple of interesting Snapper stories while down there, one was a 60cm Snapper being landed from the old wharf several months back and was told of a handful being landed to the north of Kaikoura during the summer/autumn.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Well decided on Nape Nape, and got there early doors at low tide…small doggies were the only reward :???:
    Went on a reccy, looked at Manuka Bay and will get back there sometime warmer, and also walked down to Port Robinson, looked like the sort of place you could lose a heap of gear…has anyone any experience of fishing here?

St_Paul
    Participant

fished there a couple of times. learnt to use rotten bottom rigs after the 1st trip and use old nuts as sinkers. Catches were OK mostly wrasse, the odd blue cod, and 1 decent Moki.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Those rocks on the left of Nape Nape looks pretty good I am hoping to get out there at summer on my kayak to see how productive it is I reckon there is at least 2 reefs just off shore.

rdeejay
    Participant

Been some awesome weather lately so shot out to birdlings a couple of times but still the same old rubbish dogfish about. I hear there’s plenty of cod being caught around scarborough and apparently the guy who was telling me about it was lucky enough to hook up on a kingi out that way, also hear some ele’s have been landed off Kairaki/Pines Beach.

PierMaster
    Participant

Got 3 cod out at birdlings after dark heaps of dogfish all cod caught on bonito 2 decent size 4-5lb ish and one 2-3lb threw that back.
    Awesome as conditions out there at the moment!

Miliwolf
    Participant

and they are set to last for most of the week :)

Going to stick to the spear-gun rather then the surf rods for the next month or so. Can not be bothered with doggies and Cod.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a good weekend scoping out spots around the sounds for summer.

Went to Hori Bay for a wee fish.. not much happening there but the water was real nice and would like to get there for a spear mission when it warms up a bit. A couple were just getting in the water when we left. There was also a filleted rig carcass on the beach there.

Decided to go see how far we could drive so made it all the way out to Bulwer.. Had a wee fish by the salmon farm. Plague of bluecod, real nice condition but unfortunately within the no take zone.. also seen a big ray and had carpet sharks in cm’s of water. We’d catch a spotty then place a rock on top of it by the waters edge. The buggers would almost beach themselves trying to get the spotty. Also got some dogs. :x

Then we went back over the hill to rocky Creek (what the locals called it?) caught a feed of blue cod and went home.

Ater packing all the spear fishing gear we didnt end up getting in.. Still a bit cold for no wetsuit but a good weekend. :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never been down towards Bulwer. Hori Bay is more a summer spot unless you are spearfishing. Looks like it has kingfish potential off the rocks.

Had 10m+ visiblity in Port Underwood on Sunday, awesome visibility out there. But not much point going for a dive without a Wetsuit at this time of year. You can buy a a decent open cell wesuit for $199

http://www.wildblue.co.nz/products/?pro … logID=3334

Check out the weekend warrior at the bottom of the page.

yellowfin
    Participant

I think I’ll still leave it until next month to get out fishing. Still not worth it for red cod and doggies. Hopefully there’ll be some mullet around at the Pier by next month.

yellowfin
    Participant

Those wetsuits are cheap.

Yeah Hori bay does look promising and I agree with you on the landbased kingi potential. would like to try there again in summer.

Bulwer was nice. although with the cod ban it limits it at this time of the year. The blue cod were in the best condition I’ve ever seen. and close in. Real fat and colours on them were real bright green and blue. Put up a good fight too.
    We talked to the caretaker that lives there and he said the boys on the salmon farm got a kingi almost every day last year. We asked him about snapper but he doesnt really chase them. Although I reckon they’d be there over summer.
    They rent out a cabin that sleeps 6 for $100 per night and theres launching facilities there for smaller boats. A long way to tow a boat though.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I really must take a drive out to Bulwer one day, see if there is any good Fishing spots along the way. I have always headed to French Pass when out that way.

The main disadvantage of these wet-suits is that they lack a hood, then its a extra $100-150 to get hood, gloves, booties, weight belt and lead weights ect….

Yakkaman
    Participant

Milli kayak would be good there then, you need to find yakkers up your way we could have some good outings a comp or…..

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.