Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Thanks for the offer, would happily take them out of your freezer…. Getting sick of fishing at the salty trying to catch crabs. Would be good being able to try a few different locations.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Carl
    Participant

[quote:2vf3gjc8]Getting sick of fishing at the salty trying to catch crabs. Would be good being able to try a few different locations.

Hi Mili, have you tried in the Sounds or Port Underwood. I’d imagine the sheltered sandy bays would hold good numbers of crabs :)
    I went out for a Rig fish a little over a week ago between southerly storms and caught a few. They’re in good nick and carrying pups.
    Best one was 8kg. (All were released).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never thought about targeting Rig in port underwood or the sounds, the port is bit further to drive then my usual haunts but might soak a few crabs in Robin Hood Bay one evening when the tides suit…. It is also much calmer then the ocean beaches I often fish.

Carl
    Participant

Sorry mate, I thought you were after some after crab hunting spots.
    In saying that it’s probebly worth a Rig fish there too.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never seen any crabs in port underwood either, but robin hood might produce on a incoming tide just on dark. Never given it much thought….. I have seen a handful of big red rock crabs, but they are to few and far between to use for bait.

The outer most bays of the Sounds like titirangi can be productive crab gathering grounds (not sure about this time of year) but they are a 2.5hr drive… Thinking of heading out that way in a few weeks time for a dive and fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

5mm open cell wetsuit keeps the coldness away :)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Took the afternoon off work and headed down to the local beach with my wife, first time in several months!!! Anyway caught the usual spinys and cod, but the cod were really well conditioned and also willing to have a tug at the string too. My wife lost a cod in the breakers as it jumped out of the water like a kahawai, dont see that very often. In all we landed two cod each and several spinys between us, it was excellent just getting out on the beach and wetting a line and the bonus is we have some nice thick fillets of red cod. :razz:

yellowfin
    Participant

I was thinking about heading down to Timaru maybe or one of the local beaches. Just got a 95 Subaru Legacy Wagon off trademe but It’s since stuffed up so I’ve gotta get it fixed, and my other cars rego is on hold so don’t want to go far. I went out to the local beach twice last week but there was a massive swell both times so didn’t even bother fishing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Non surfcasting… but I snack onto a boat and fished around the Rangitoto islands on Thursday… Hoping for winter Snapper or Kingfish but the sea was dead. Caught a couple of big Cod (blue) and a few coutas. Was nice fishing potentially productive waters at this time of year. The guy I was with thought the Earthquake might have put the fish off the bite.

Did not make it out to the groper holes.

Depending on tide / forecast I might try for a few rigs in Robin Hood or Cloudy bay tomorrow.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve always wondered about the earthquake theory.
    I’ve been told it take a couple of days before the fish settle down after a shake..

I had just dismissed it as fishermans tales..

Although they say storms will affect how a fish bites as well.. so there could be some truth to it.?…???

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have heard dozens of different reasons why fish go off the bite, at times they even conflict with each other…. I can not see why a Earth Quake would unsettle fish to any great degree….

Fished one of myf my preferred spots in Cloudy Bay over high tide 12pm-2:40pm, when i got there the sea was a calm with a gentle off shore breeze… Quickly had three rods into the water, two baited with Crabs and one with pilchard. Also had popper Flys above the baited hooks….

Nothing exciting happened, the pilchard caught a steady stream of Cod and Doggies. The popper fly also took a doggy. Two things took bait, one got off during the fight, the other turned into a Cod. First time I had a red cod take a crab bait.

Was a nice warm afternoon to spend on the beach.

yellowfin
    Participant

I would’ve thought small bits of crab would be a good bait for cod, considering cod I’ve caught have often had several small crabs in their mouths.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have gutted Red Cod and Skates which are choka with paddle crabs, but they do not seem to take them as bait :?:

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.