Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

A few of the Kaikoura locals can be pricks about freedom camping…. but I normally find a remote spot and park up :)

I own a Toyota surf and I often find enough space to sleep in it…. but I suppose I normally have Kayak gear, Surf Gear and maybe dive gear in there which takes up heaps of room. When I am organized I can sleep stretched out in the back which is quite comfy…. But normally after the second day I have made a complete mess of things so have to sleep on the front seat which is not the best sleepy position when sober, or I could pitch my tent which takes time.

yellowfin
    Participant

My car’s a Mitsubishi Chariot 7 Seater, and all the seats fold down so it makes a lot of room.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good news for Kaikoura. Would be good being able to grab reasonable eatable food quickly while zooming between fishing spots. All the F&C shops in Kaikoura have been mediocre to poor in my experience. Would still go to the why not cafe or breakfast and to the caves restaurant for paua patties though….

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/2555610/McDonalds-No-thanks

On the topic of food at Kaikoura, is there any other places worth eating at?

yellowfin
    Participant

Looking at metservice and swellmap it doesn’t look good for Kaikoura over the weekend.

http://swellmap.com/reg_forecasts.php?r … ing#anchor

Miliwolf
    Participant

Saturday should be ok.

Have seen it much worst.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah well a bit of rain wont be to bad, but if it’s going to be pooring down with strong southerlies and big swells it wont be worth going.

Miliwolf
    Participant

82% chance of between 1-10mm of rain on Saturday for kaikoura, and only a 3% chance of more then 10mm. So overcast and gentle showers.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Even if the swell is up a bit it is normally possible to find calmer water on one side of the peninsula….

The forecast does not seem to bad, with heavy showers after 8pm on Saturday… Tide is not the best for night Moki fishing imo but good for daytime fishing.

I might head down for a day on the 11th if weather conditions allow. Need to double check tide first.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I’m still going up on Saturday morning and staying a night or two, depends on the weather, sea conditions, and what the fishing is like really.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Apart from the Moki fishing at night, I have always experienced very slow fishing at Kaikoura.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

This time its not me who has caught.

A couple of Checz i have working for me pruning decided they would like to do some beach fishing while here in NZ. They ask me if i could help them.
    So yesterday morning i was off to the red shed with them to assist in buying some gear. They bought a couple of small things but no rod (i advised we go to hunting and fishing) this advise turned out to be wise as they picked up a shimano rod and reel set for $130, a nice looking set too especiallly at that price. Anyway i gave them rough directions of where to go and left them to it.

Anyway i had my doubts about yesterday as there were some strong easterlies and a large swell predicted and i even made them aware of this, but they persevered and went anyway.

So they headed down the coast and managed to find a “salty” location, and with this they spent a couple of hours fishing yesterday afternoon, and managed to prove me wrong (of course :razz: ). They caught a rather large spiny specimen at almost 1 metre long and a good size red cod which they are intent on eating.

Just proves that while we sit at home moaning about cold and winter and rough conditions the fish are still out there willing to take a bait, or maybe it was beginners luck.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The doggies and cod are always there…. Thats a bigger put off in my experience then the weather. The warehouse can be quite a expensive place to buy tackle considering the quality which they offer.

I might head down to Salty this afternoon, the sea is just over a meter and high tide just after 4pm. Wind is a easeing 20 knot southerly which should not be to bad on the beach. Hopefully would catch a good number of crabs today. Then I could concentrate on my Rig location in cloudy bay.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Salty for a hour or so over high tide…. Cold southerly wind, showers. Big Swell with chop. Not pleasant.

Left my bait elastic at home (I do that far to often) so getting the whole prawns to stay on was a pain. Got there around 3pm, left for home shortly after 4pm.

I did catch a single crab in my pot :) , I released it. So hopefully I would get down there on a nicer, calmer evening and might be able to refill my crab stockpile.

yellowfin
    Participant

Came back from Kaikoura today. Left Ashburton at about 10AM got to Kaikoura at about 12.30 on Saturday, so didn’t take as long as I expected. There was a bit of a swell but no rain on Saturday, only ended up catching dogfish. Slept the night just in the Carpark since there were at least two other cars with people camping there, one lot had a fire going on the beach most of the night. I’m not sure if that’s allowed or not. Woke up this morning feeling sick, most likely from the disgusting fish ‘n’ chips I had Saturday night. Fished for a couple hours and got 2 red cod and some dogfish. Couldn’t be bothered staying another night and it didn’t really seem worth it if it was going to be raining again Monday. The trip back wasn’t that good with the heavy rain, windy roads and nearly no tread on my two back tires.

Here’s a couple pictures, nothing exciting.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.