Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I went down to Wakanui beach the other week with my cousin, mainly to test out my new rod with the Daiwa Sl50. First cast and hooked up with a massive stick. My cousin also hooked a massive log which took ages to get in. Must have been a big flood at the river. Was hardly worth fishing any longer, and I think that’s really the last trip to any beaches around here untill at least September/October. Only option is maybe a trip further north/south, or over to the west coast. Not sure if it’ll be much different though.

rdeejay
    Participant

Well i know i haven’t caught any logs or sticks lately :p

PierMaster
    Participant

Went to Kaikoura for the Weekend (Sun and mon)

Weather wasnt too bad bit overcast but all good, fished my favourite spot just in front of railway station
    On sunday I Caught 8 red cod all pretty decent size and a big conger eel and heaps of dogfish. Mate got a cod and a conger as well

and on mon( yesterday) caught lots of dogfish and got a skate bout 40kg was unreal! bout the same size as that one that lady got on the website, i had never seen one that big but unfortunately as i had it on the slope of the beach just 1m away from me as we were trying to get it up over the edge part it bent my 5/0 hook and got off,tried to grab a picture of it but it ducked beneath the wave before i got a chance :(

but my mate and a few spectators got to see it which was all good :)

So wasnt a bad winter fishing trip
    will be headin up again in a few weeks time
    even managed to get a few herring off the old wharf in kaikoura
    will post some pics up soon

Miliwolf
    Participant

You are almost lucky that the hook bent, I landed a big skate a few months back and it was a real battle to remove the hook and then return it to the water. Mine would not of been 40kg, My rough guess would have put it around 25kg.

My I ask what brand of hook was it?

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I might look at a trip to Kaikoura instead of all the way to Haast. Would save a lot of petrol money, and basing on google maps it would be a 3 hour trip, maybe less depending what the traffic is like.

PierMaster
    Participant

wasabi 5/0 usuali pretty good hook never had it bend on me lol

i still managed to use a full tank of gas from chch to kai and back bout 360km

looking at heading back up to kai in 2 weeks

yellowfin
    Participant

What happened to the pics? I might also head up if the weather is good.

PierMaster
    Participant

heres pictures of the 8 cod i got on sunday and my conger as well as my mates conger all caught on sunday the 21st

<a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>

yellowfin
    Participant

Some nice red cod there. What reel is that in the fifth pic? Also can you eat the congers?

PierMaster
    Participant

Just a shit reel lol, yeah you can eat congers, quite nice. Retails for round 11.95 kg
    i find that only the top half of the fish is good to eat cos the tail part is just far too bony

Miliwolf
    Participant

I saw a guy catch one at salty one night and he reckon they tasted great when smoked.

yellowfin
    Participant

Do they taste similar to freshwater eels or totally different?

PierMaster
    Participant

yeah they make excellent eating when smoked!

bit different taste

yellowfin
    Participant

What weekend are you going back up?

yellowfin
    Participant

I got a conger over Ocean bay with a spear and ate that.. But we found it was quite tuff..
    It might have had something to do with a spear going through him and then him tenseing up and twisting around all over the place.

But they love eating crayfish so thats gotta make them taste good right??

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.