Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Looking back at those pictures it’s seems the cod were nearer the surface as the two shown still hooked are both on the top hook. I somehow thought they were more bottom feeders, but I suppose it doesn’t make much of a difference.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I’ve eaten plenty of red cod that I’ve caught. I’ll generally give them a check over tho.If they’re in bad condition or have worms/lice on them I’ll biff them back. but they’re not too bad and its a pretty popular fish in the shops.. (sold as akaroa cod)
    I find most fish is good as long as its fresh

rdeejay
    Participant

Went for a fish at Birdlings today making the most of the decent weather, caught alot of dogfish as per usual but i’m gutted on the fact i lost a monster kahawai!, i was hooked up and fought like mad clearing the surface twice to try and throw the hook, i got it into about a foot of water and grabbed my leader and ping! hook came out, arghhhhhhh, so anyway a few people fishing there today would of got a good show with the fish going mental on the surface and then me swearing quietly at myself lol.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the Pier today. Caught loads of dogfish and that was it. Saw one good size red cod caught around low tide.

yellowfin
    Participant

also fished the pier with a mate and piermaster alot of doggies caught decided to give up at around 830 i think

Miliwolf
    Participant

Were any of you guys using crab for bait?

Weather been crap here for the last few weeks so have not had a chance to get out for a fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

i was using prawn and mussels for a while but no takers so went to pillie just to catch something

rdeejay
    Participant

I use salted mullet strips that i’ve prepared myself from the mullet i catch across in the river, i also use the tails and heads.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished birdlings yesterday Caught a few dogfish and two carpet sharks also went out today did not catch anything

Miliwolf
    Participant

After a long break from fishing, I finally made it down to Clifford bay.

There was no wind or chop but a moderate swell. There was high cloud and it was a bit misty after dark but it was not cold. I got there just after 4:30pm, and fished to just after 6pm, the tide appeared very low but incoming. The main downside, everything as covered in thick weed, the southerly storm must of ripped it up earlier in the week making fishing with crab hard work. (Should of expected that)

I set my crab pot, but only got a couple of small crabs. I used paddle crab and mussel for bait but caught no fish. If anyone heading down that way for a fish I advice checking out Seaview or Blind river because Salty is currently unfishable.

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished birdlings for a while yesterday, so much dogfish it wasn’t funny. lake forsyth is opened up, wow what a massive torrent of water flowing out and meeting the sea, guess all the doggies came in close to feed with all the water churning up everything in close.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished the big Shark spot over high tide this morning, got there around 8:30am and fished until 10:00am.

There was no wind, no chop and a moderate size swell breaking. Low misty cloud and quite a bit of drizzle, the temperature was quite cold.

I used dogfish and salted mullet for bait, and did not get a bite the entire time I was there. Should of purchased a pack of pilchards while on route :roll: . Probably would not head back down there for a fish until spring.

Checked out Marfells and Awtere mouth on the way home and the sea was nice and calm. Campground at Marfells was busy but no one had a rod out…

rdeejay
    Participant

Slowly trying to get the missus into actually fishing instead of sitting around on the beach. Yesterday at birdlings was a good time for her to catch something in short time cos it was just a matter of throwing the line out and whack dogfish on! So she caught a couple herself before we packed up. I didn’t even bother counting how many i caught it was just crazy. Salted mullet, squid, mussels, fake fish, it didn’t mater they attacked it all. Wonder how long it takes for the sea to close the lake up again? Oh and even ole mr seal turned up for a while for a play around in the washup and grab some food

rdeejay
    Participant

Quick Clip
    [code:quiq1gog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgn9-ryfX4A[/code:quiq1gog]

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.