Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    PierMaster
    Participant

wicked lol

anyone heading down tonight?

yellowfin
    Participant

I could’ve probably fished tonight, but it’s getting really cold at night now. Last night no one even came out to fish after dark, and it was so cold I packed up earlier than I planned. Might go up next weekend or sometime during the week and just fish during the day.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from catching lots of monster westcoast Kahawai…. Would write a full report when I have the energy.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The spam is making the site difficult to use….

Just gotten back from three days over in Golden Bay, the first night I stayed at a small campground near Pakawau, when I got there the wind was blowing hard onto the beach and Golden Bay was quite rough looking… It was a out going tide in the evening so I tried a little fishing but shortly after dusk I retreated to the relative warmth of my tent.

The wind blew or night, it might have even gotten stronger. The next morning the sea was still rough so I loaded up my rods and drove over to the west coast to nearly calm conditions. West Haven inlet was nearly flat, but I drove further towards the coast. . Very cool country over there. The beaches there are very flat and the tide was low meaning a long walk out to the water edge.. There was little swell.

I eventually decided to make the effort and walked the several hundred meters out to the water edge. There I had to walk another 50m into the sea before casting to get my bait into relatively deep water. The fishing was quite slow but eventually one of the rods showed life and I pulled in a good size KY, over the next few hours my bait rod went crazy with a constant stream of large KY being landed… Many of these fish would have been 3kg+…. The incoming tide made casting more difficult and dangerous because the KY were holding quite a distant from the shore…. When I landed my 10th KY for the day I decided to move to a hole in the beach I saw at low tide and see if I could catch any different species…. Caught nothing at that spot so went back to my camp at Pakawau at 3pm.

Golden bay was still rough so decided to drive back over to westhaven inlet for a evening Snapper fish, I was not very organsied and my chosen spot was probably not the best but I still spend several hours fishing but caught nothing. I got a fright when a owl tried to grab my sinker when I lifted it off the ground to check on my bait.

On Sunday golden bay was calmer but the extremely shallow beaches did not tempt me, I headed over to westhaven inlet (which is less then a 10min drive from my campground) and launched my Kayak. I paddled with the outgoing tide over to the mouth but after a while decided the current was to swift and I did not fancy being carried over the bar…. In the swift current I did get several strikes which were probably big KY or Cotua.

I landed my boat on a small beach while waiting for slack tide, I casted out a couple of rods but only had a carpet shark follow a bait in. On Slack tide I was back fishing the mouth but only caught a good size KY after several hours of fishing. Decided to head back to the car, explored golden bay for a while. Saw a nice hatch on one of the rivers but did not have my fly rod….. Then I headed for home.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Miliwolf

St_Paul
    Participant

could have been a go with the fly rod fishing that mouth too. Speaking of mouths the diversion is wide open again lookin forward to gettin down there with the fly rod once it clears

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tried the fly rod, but the breaking waves were to much to handle. They were going over the top of my waders…… If only I had brought my wetsuit or even dry top….

Checked the diversion out before going away. Nice and wide again, that river mouth changes after every flood. Through the general trend is for it to slowly move southwards over time….

Report:

Fished Cloudy bay, 2pm-3pm… Dirty flood water, big waves, cold S wind. Not much action on the crabs and did not stay for long. Tide was high.

Miliwolf
    Participant

report:

Fished Cloudy Bay again today for a couple hours (2:30pm-4pm), high tide was 4pm. The water was still brown from the floods. Caught nothing. There was no chop but a moderate swell.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at bayleys beach on monday night hoping there might still be rig around, caught a flounder(or other flatfish), one red cod, and numerous dogfish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Contemplating heading down to the shark beaches this afternoon, shame a southerly storm is heading north :x

Hopefully would get a couple more school sharks or gillers before the start of winter :P

edit: Pissing down here :(

rdeejay
    Participant

pretty rubbish here too, sw wind, raining so no fishing for me today. Was contemplating heading to kaipoi/waimak

Miliwolf
    Participant

The rain has stopped here, although it is still overcast and the threat of rain is still there.

The forecast map is still indicating fine weather for the shark beaches, but the forecast map did not indicate the heaby downpour we got here. 2pm now, So not really worth heading down there now :(

Would go out for a walk to see what the weather is doing, might go for a sneaky trout fish instead.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the Pier today from about lunch time till 6.30 PM. Loads of dogfish around, not idea how many I got in total. Also some big red cod around, I saw 6 caught in total, 4 caught by me. No Kahawai, no mullet.

One of these was caught by someone else.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

They look like nice fish would make good food for the table!

I wont be getting out for at least another month as we are in the process of moving in to our own home, so that’ll mean about four months with out a fish :cry:

Miliwolf
    Participant

The words “Nice, Good and Food” so not be used when referring to red cod :grin: .

I have not been for a spear fish since October :cry:

edit: Something more useful, I was down at the wairau bar last night. Spinning for trout in the dark. I notice a few people down there caught a few Red Cods from the wharf. So they are in the river :cry: (I already knew that but…. ummm… the flood did not wash them all out to sea)

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.