Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

How do you tell the females and males apart?

rdeejay
    Participant

males have those extra claspers by the pelvic fins as shown here further down the page http://www.oceanicresearch.org/educatio … harks.html

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to Christchurch this morning. First went to Rebel Sports but it was closed, so headed over to the Pier. The tide was a bit low and the wind was quite strong so I decided to head over to Lyttelton. I ended up driving around past Governors bay, but I turned back and found a spot to fish by where they have the Yachts. After all that the wind had picked up more and I couldn’t be bothered fishing, so headed back into town to Rebel sports. Bought myself a Daiwa SL50SHk for $184, so I’ll have to try that out sometime soon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Wakanui for a few hours today. I only took my Solaris just to test out the new Daiwa I got. Got 5 or so doggies and packed up.

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished birdlings for a while with a mate yesterday afternoon, was a bit windy out there but still managed to pull in a few doggies and a 5.4kg carpet shark, mate caught a big ass eel around 4.5 feet but didn’t get to weigh it and a nice size red cod. Here’s some pics.

“>

“>

Yakkaman
    Participant

Nice catch there rdeejay, I went to the pier around 4pm yesterday sea was rough as but brought heaps of doggies and rig in I was using squid everytime i cast out within 5mins I was on approx hooked 8 doggies of good size and 4 rig one I kept for a feed.

St_Paul
    Participant

Got one nice kahawai at the diversion at lunchtime today. Was chock a block full of whitebait!

PierMaster
    Participant

still catchn rig at the pier yakka?… might have to come dwn this weekend lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

How many hundred of Rigs have you caught this year PierMaster?

I believe you were up to 70-odd before I caught my first of the season…

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul

Yakkaman
    Participant

PierMaster

Miliwolf
    Participant

vip_yo

gunnercoops
    Participant

A mate went to baileys yesterday and got 3 carpet sharks, heaps of doggies a decent red cod and a good skate…all in 3 hours.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I headed down to Cloudy Bay today to test a few Surf Poppers which had just arrived from Australia, they are suppose to be efficient on KY.. High tide was around 3:30pm which suited. On arrival at 2pm I notice the Wairau was in flood sending dirty water from both of its mouth far out to sea. My preferred spot was occupied so I choice a spot I had luck in previously. The flood waters had not made it along the shore, the current was taking it far into cloudy bay.

The steady NW wind had created a chop and turned the sea brown. But there was no swell to speak off. Not really ideal conditions for catching KY.

On the first rod I tied on a paternoster rig and baited it with two Surf Poppers one blue and the other green. The next rod also using a paternoster rig got a red popper at the top and a paddle crab bait on the bottom. My final rod had a basic pully rig and Crab bait.

I was not there long when my northern most rod bent over, I hurried over and pulled in a nice Lemon Shark (took crab). Back out it went, but had to run to my pully rig rod which was now bending over, after a long fight I landed a good size rig foul hooked in the dorsal fin.

The Red Popper Fly got a bit of action next, and a extremely rare specie the Red Cod was landed. A short while later the green popper also caught a Red Cod.

The fishing slowed, and the wind started to weaken. It was probably well past high tide by now. Then another rod bent over and starting screaming line like a Sevengiller was on… After a good length fight a personal best Lemon was on the beach and she was returned to the sea. I guess she was between 10-15kg, maybe 1.5m long.

Towards sunset the wind died away and the sea become calm, and one more small Lemon was landed. I was back in the car and heading home by 5:30pm.

This was one of my best fishing trips ever, easily the best with regards to Lemon Sharks.

In Summary:

5 Lemon Sharks were landed, including a personal best (and one which would be a top 3 fish).
    2 Red Cod were landed on the Surf Poppers

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.