Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

sweet good stuff on the rig especially on a bit of lighter line getting them through the surf. I use the Penn 16ft as my main rod and i have a couple of 12’s. Are you using the pps 16 ft or smaller?

Participant

Hi thanks yes they are a real handful on light gear alright. yep have two penn 16ft & 1 15ft that i use when surfcasting, i also have two 12ft but find them abit to small off our beachs you really need the extra height to keep your line well above the lip in the breaker line no-mata how your fishing your gear, so the 12ft is reserved for of the rocks when live baiting etc

yellowfin
    Participant

I have 4 12ft rods and they have been fine for most surfcasting over the last couple years. Although in really rough conditions you do need the longer rod, although if you have a big rod stand that can help. The longest rod I currently have is only 13’6, and I don’t really plan on getting a longer one any time soon.

Participant

yeh true i have found 12alright in a calm sea but thats hard to strike sometimes & i have had more success fishing when the seas had a roll on it so on a incoming coming tide as i move back up the beach i can still keep my line well above the lip so have found a longer rod much better,thats with a 1half mtr spike aswell

rdeejay
    Participant

i like the 16ft myself and also have no issues with using my 12’s but sometime i just like firing the ole lead out some distance, although personally i wouldn’t recommend a rod that length to someone short or someone who’s a bit weaker in the ole arms!

yellowfin
    Participant

I struggle with my 14 footer shoulder is doggy, was thinking of down sizing my reel and putting braid on it. went to birdlings yesterday Caught two carpet sharks using pilchard, also saw what looked like a Barracuda jumping clear out the water.

yellowfin
    Participant

There still seems to be a good variety of species around, even though it’s getting further on into the year. I’ve found it can be different every year in terms of species that are around at certain times. Some years there is a lot of red cod over the winter months, some years there’s hardly any. If you do a lot of fishing over the winter months I’m sure you’ll get some species you didn’t think would be around. Most people seem to put their rods away and think the only fish around over winter are doggies and red cod.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I caught several of my best Kahawai last winter. Big strong healthy fish. Still caught a truckload of Doggies and Red cod. Got a few tricks up my sleeve this winter so might be able to target the Kahawai while leaving the doggies and cod in the sea.

The most common catches up here on the coast during the winter would be Doggies, Red Cod, Skates and Kahawai.

My shortest surf rod is a 13ft backbone elite, and I find it is to short for when the sea gets up a bit. Much prefer to use my longer rods.

Yakkaman
    Participant

A Damn good day out at Te Oka Bay, after a 4k paddle Ollie had us fishing over his trumpeter spotx.
    Ollie anchored and clipped onto his yak burley was deployed and the fishing exploded fantastic to catch so much fish alot was under size but the action never died.
    A couple of big conger eels and Ollie had one at the surface that was at least 5ft long 200mm thick looked like a serpent.
    I hooked onto something really big and thought i was winning the fight when oops we are getting towed, I wish that I had unclipped from Ollies yak and worn the fish out but instead I let it take about 40-50mtrs of 25lb line and ping that was it, you learn from your mistakes.

Participant

Great catch yakkaman you would be stoked with your catch bag, just goes to showed you dont need a big boat to produce the goods

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Great stuff yakkaman! Those Kayaks are doing the job nicely, cheaper to run, and you can launch in more inaccessible areas. What bait?

Awesome catch!

Cheers
    Aaron

Yakkaman
    Participant

Jones Jr.

yellowfin
    Participant

nice catch! :)

cant wait for my fishing trip in thailand fighting 30lb+ carp and catfish among others!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to Snapper spot GAW in the QC sounds tonight, probably my last trip there this summer :cry:

Fished from 4pm-8pm, hightide was around 7pm. Spotties was a pain before dark, after dark the sea lice were about. Only fish better then a spottie was a small KY.

Might try the Kenepuru once or twice more :|

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its been a while, but I have gotten back down to Salty…. I fished 200-300m to the South of the pier. I got there around 4pm, and fished until 7pm. The pier itself was quite busy. The Sea was calm but the odd large wave to keep things interesting. High tide was around dark, so was fishing the incoming tide.

The first catch of the afternoon was a red cod :cry: , followed by Mr Lemon :grin: , then Mr Skate :grin: and another Cod, and a few doggies after dark. One of the doggies swallowed the hook so had to keep it, upon gutting I found she was pregnant with 4-5 puppies :cry: …. So going to try and avoid catching them for a few months to give them a chance to give birth.

The Lemon took crab, the others took Kahawai. I fished a whole small silver trout which swallowed a hook the other day and it got smashed by something which tore it to bits.

The people fishing on the Pier, got a pile of Cod and Doggies….

From now on, I plan on getting down there a bit earlier in the afternoon. Maybe 3pm, and would attempt to have no baits (apart from Crabs) in the water after dark. That should reduce the number of Cod and Doggies being caught while still having a chance of getting skates and Kahawai.

edit: I saw what looked like a KY work up in the middle of Marfells while fishing, out of casting range.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.