Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Jones Jr.
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t get back to this thread.

Main thing about the Sat evening just past is that fresh cold northeast was blowing and I didn’t think would be pleasant to fish in, did you get anything if you did go?

I’d still be keen for the 29th and 30th Nov, am going elsewhere this weekend.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

I went out to Dorie beach on Saturday, but it was way too rough and the winds were quite strong. The wind is really the only reason I haven’t been out more often.

tracknz
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to the beach by the freezing works just south of Timaru today. It was a bit rough and windy, but I had a bit of a fish anyways. Caught some good size red cod, and a couple small school sharks. Nothing else seemed to be around.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to blind river tonight. Out going tide, calm condition, nearly full moon.

Caught around 10 red cod, then nothing as it got darker. Used prawn and salmon for bait. Both caught the cod.

Probably caught a personal best Red Cod, it was massive.

PierMaster
    Participant

Whats up!

went fishing friday night(14th) at brighton pier only had 1 crab so was only there for like 20mins lol but i caught a small rig round the kg mark

then went back sat arvo(15th) and stocked up on some herring and crabs for that evening

Went back and fished from 9pm till 2.30am
    Got 14! yes 14! rig but none over 2.5kg they where all round the 1kg mark so threw most of them back only took 3 home.
    an asian dude lost a sevengill on his huge 15ft rod which was hilliarious to watch him fight that thing through the surf cos if was farily rough and the water was quite low so the waves where breaking out past the pier, but he did end up catching a school shark round the 5kg mark

so wasnt too bad of a night might go back sunday night and give it a go as well which would be tonight cos i only just got home haha

Cheers
    Andrew

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Went and tried out Cloudy bay last night, result found too that the red cod are in plague proportions at the mo. Caught 7 and a couple of small sharks for a few hours fishing, caught on squid, spottie, raw and cooked prawn and pillchards. Wind was blowing quite a bit but died off at night fall so turned out being quite plesant. Most the fish were caught between 8-9pm then it just died with the baits not even being touched.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to the sounds for the long weekend.

French pass on friday – Blue cod, kahawai, plague of spotties, no snaps no kingfish. But a pod of orcas went through the pass within casting distance :shock: Damn cool to watch them buggers up close. We had 3 kahawai out under balloons at the time.. Anyone landed an orca??? :lol: :lol:

Headed to the wharf once it got darker. Got a sole and a way too many carpet sharks.

Titirangi on saturday – Went for a snorkel. Seen tarakihi, kahawai, a ray and a huge conger.
    Put out some baits and got a couple of snaps, blue cod, kahawai, tarakihi, and another plague of carpet sharks.. :roll:

Went to Kenepuru for a cast today (sunday) got a couple of rays, snaps, trevally, and kahawai

So a pretty good weekend in the end. Stink of fish, lacking sleep, just got back to chch :grin: :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

How was the wind out that way, the inner sounds got a real bashing.

What, you drove from French pass to Titirangi :shock: , atleast you got onto a few Snapper something I have not done this year.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah wind was real bad on the sunday. Had the wind and waves blowing straight in at us so it wasnt that pleasant. But still plenty of bites and we didnt want to waste the day while we were up there.

Yeah we done a fair bit of driving :lol: up at 5 friday morning to french pass, got back to blenheim at midnight.
    Then left for titirangi saturday morning got back about 11pm and then out to kenepuru the next morning.
    In hindsight we could have gone to one spot and camped. But we’re never really that organised :lol: :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to the Kenepuru with AJ (aaron) and couple other mates on thursday night. Between us we caught plenty KY, pan sized snapper, and various other smaller fish on the friday. Saturday and sunday was blowing a gale, not really ideally conditions, we managed to hook quite a few massive rays and landed a couple smaller ones. Over all a pretty good weekend, pity the weather wasnt abit more onside. Also on the friday AJ had a pretty good hook up on a large snapper, reckoned it fought alot more than his 13lb he has caught before. Seemed like it had bite thru the leader only meters from the boat.

tracknz
    Participant

Hi all. We were working in bec’s bay (Queen Charlotte) over the weekend. The locals said there were never any fish caught in the bay but we thought stuff it we will drop in a line at lunchtime (4.00 lol.) and see what happens. Fished for 1 hr and caught 6 spotties and 2 nice sized Gurnard. Locals obviously are to much into posing on their fancy boats than actually fishing in there own bay. :lol: Got to say too you blenheim / marlbrough boys,what a bloody hick area. we couldnt even buy a feed in picton after 9.00 at night on saturday. Had to go to waikawa even to get fish and chips. Does no one eat after 8.30 up there?

yellowfin
    Participant

tracknz

Sevengillz
    Participant

tracknz

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Had a great time. Left Chch on Thursday evening after work and finally got settled in the sounds by 3am! Came back Sunday. Got up around 8am on Friday and spent the day out on the water fishing, was the best day in the end as the other two were too windy to go out!

Caught some panny snapper which tasted great, and on just simple ledger rigs and squid. These smaller snapper must be less cautious so don’t need to worry about running rigs I guess? You get good bites then strike! Awesome fun. In the morning when we first headed out only 100m from the bay we saw kaiwhai as Steve mentioned, had a fun time casting hex lures out to them and catching them.

I really like the evening because it seems that alot of the pickers go away and your baits are left for the big boys. I hooked onto something big on evening but it became apparent quite shortly after it was a ray, sucked onto the bottom and cut the line. My 2nd hook up was different, had the nodding a fish does. Not a powerful gliding motion a ray does. A big snapper one can assume, fought more then a 13 pounder I got a while back. It’s teeth bit through the line though, grrrrr. I quickly made up the rig with 40lb trace, wont be so careless next time and use something a bit heavier. Got a 3rd run from a snapper but didn’t hook up, he must’ve just been holding it in his mouth.

Got another ray from the rocks on Sat but no more for me.

Each time I go up there which never seems to be enough I learn more, next time!

Cool to hear of your time up there vip_yo, good to here you got some snapper to!

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.