Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

ah the good old days when i was a kid catching mullet around the no1 extension and sanfords

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from Timaru. Didn’t really have much luck, only ended up with a couple mullet and small red cod. Got a couple small Tarakihi as well. Also hooked something really big on my mullet rod, had it dropped strait down, saw it bend right over and the rod nearly went over the side before I grabbed it. It got off not long after I got my rod, but I’d say it was something just swimming past that got hooked in my trace, but I’m not really sure what it was being so fast moving and so close in, possibly a big salmon or shark. Got a $170 speeding ticket on the way there, so that’ll be less money towards a new rod and reel.

Simon
    Participant

Hi guys, haven’t been in here for a while. just caught up with your posts since december, seems like u had a fairly good summer fishing wise. I spent january up and down the eastcoast of australia, and february in hawaii. brought my two surfcasters, a smaller spinning rod and a 50 lbs big game outfit for the whole trip, but didn’t catch much. was travelling with 8 friends, none of them fishos, which made it difficult to do any serious fishing. mostly ended up drinking and doing other things, even though i planned to do alot of fishing before i left. also i didn’t get to use the big outfit much. i launched a big bait under a balloon on a couple of occasions, but would have been better off paddling the bait out somehow. was planning on doing that with the surfboard,but with all the shark attacks, and me mostly fishing at night, it didn’t seem very wise. caught a nice longtail stingray on fraser island, and had something really big straighten out my hook once, fishing from a random beach some hours north of brisbane somewhere. Caught a small white tip in hawaii, using nemo for livebait under a balloon:) i was so sick of not catching anything or even doing some serious fishing, that i went on a midnight shark hunt with a charter boat. of course, the whale season peaked at the time i was there, with all the whales giving birth and all, providing the local sharks with as much food as they could handle. so there were only two sharks caught, one by an old canadian guy who had a bad shoulder (the captain had to haul his shark in by hand while he was winding in the slack), and the other by a guy who had never fished before:mad:

was thinking of going up north somewhere during the break in april to get some real fishing done. It’s about time i catch a decent fish here in nz. anyone know a good spot for some sharkfishing? i’m talking bronzies or sevengillers or something else thats big. Is april to late or is it still possible to catch something if i go far enough up north? I heard something about Omaha and Pakiri beach in the auckland area? has anyone had any luck with the bigger stuff up there?

tnx for input guys

Miliwolf
    Participant

Kekerengu might still be producing sevengillers in April….

I believe the fishing can be quite good in the far north during April…. Have never been up there myself.

Simon
    Participant

Miliwolf

Rodman
    Participant

Got two rig on Sunday south of Ashburton.
    First one was at medium distance and the other way out. Also got bitten off on the way out rod. I use a snood of double (side by side) 80lb nylon so that anything big can bite it off as I only fish for rig and ele.

If you dont want to eat it put it back.

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s good the Rig are still around. I’ll probably head down to Rangitata in the weekend if the weather is nice enough. Rodman, have you ever fished at Ashton beach?

Rodman
    Participant

Yep

Sometimes good sometimes bad — depends on how much rubbish is coming out the river and which way the drift is going.

If you dont want to eat it put it back..

yellowfin
    Participant

I heard of a couple kahawai being caught there. Other than that I’d say it’s not much different to Wakanui with the amount of dogfish?

Rodman
    Participant

Got a good rig at Wakanui today but had to give up because hundreds of shags were coming in from a storm at sea and were flying into my lines.

If you dont want to eat it put it back.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was it very rough? Might have a fish there tomorrow.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ended up going down to Rangitata beach for a couple hours today. Conditions were ok, but after catching only 15 or so dogfish I packed up. I think that’ll be my last surfcasting trip for a while.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have you tried using paddle crabs for bait? I have found that doggies would not touch them but they are candy for the Lemons.

yellowfin
    Participant

I always use padle crabs when targeting rig, but I used the last of the ones I caught from the pier, and there’s really no other way to get them.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have you tried getting them from the Timaru wharfs? have not been there for years.

I caught around 60 on my last crab catching trip. Should easily last me until the start of winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.