Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Actually I have seen smaller opera house ones you can get from rebel sport that should be allowed at the pier, the entry holes are quite small though.
    The one I made similar to Piermaster’s uses the hoop and net from a small net like a butterfly net, with 3 sinkers evenly spaced around the outside to keep the hoop down and another sinker and hooks in the middle of the net. Then you have 3 short evenly spaced lengths of mono leading from the hoop to your mainline to keep the hoop level.

St_Paul
    Participant

The price of prawns has certainly increased heaps. no more $7.95 countdown specials :(
    paddle crabs are good but the frozen ones just seem to turn to Mush. Will have a chat with some of my fisheries customers and see what I can scratch up in the way of crab or crayfish.
    Have caught good rig and ele’s on the gulp peeler crabs before but caught heaps more on cooked prawn.

on the subject of stingray for bait check out this 1000lb hammerhead caught on a live stingray bait
    http://www.truveo.com/Great-Hammerhead-Shark-over-1000-pounds-Chew-On-/id/1284979363

Miliwolf
    Participant

St_Paul, one trip down to Salty with a Crab Net and a bit of bait normally produces enough crabs to last 5-6 Surfcasting trips :) (Or enough for two weeks in my case :oops: )

I set up my three rods (4 now :oops:) , throw the pot off the pier… Check pot every 20 minutes or so and most of the time get plenty to use. I freeze the crabs whole, still alive :twisted: in the freezer and they work fine on the hook :)

gunnercoops
    Participant

PierMaster

St_Paul
    Participant

St_Paul, one trip down to Salty with a Crab Net and a bit of bait normally produces enough crabs to last 5-6 Surfcasting trips (Or enough for two weeks in my case )

might have to stop in on my way back from kaikoura next time I’m down there and try that, cheers Milli. Also meant to give you a couple of the gemini sinkers I make to try with your 4th rod. :smile:

yellowfin
    Participant

Just been out to Wakanui beach for a few hours. Caught a few dogfish on Mullet, then changed over to dogfish for bait and caught a Carpet Shark, then the same bait back in the water and caught a Skate. Not long after I hooked another Skate, then after that another Carpet shark. Didn’t seem to be any Schoolies around either.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Bayleys beach last night. There were lots of sea lice around which made it a pretty miserable night. Caught about 10 dogfish and had something strong and fast on at one point but it came off the hook, that was about it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Dorie today for a couple hours. Was really good with the strong North Westerly and small swell. Fishing was crap though, only caught a couple dogfish. Looks like the Schoolies have all gone further north. There was heaps of people fishing there though, there was about 6 Four Wheel Drives on the beach at one stage.

rdeejay
    Participant

Birdlings was the same, sea was really calm etc but alas no fish except for 2 poxy dogfish, few others fishing but they caught nothing. Had a good yarn to one of the locals saying that a cupla of the other locals fished friday night and caught some big schoolies and another had the kontiki out and caught 3 stingrays.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Te oka bay today, not much around just two spotties

Miliwolf
    Participant

This thread has been a little slow….

Was blowing a gale at home, so decided to go fishing. Tide looked good for a Snapper tonight, so headed down to the little wharf. Got there around 6pm, quite quickly my first rod bent over and a moderate size Grunta was soon on the beach. It took a Squid bait (3/0 flasher) eventually got more rods into the water.

My first rod bent over again, and this time it was a nice pan sized Snapper. Bit more fishing and the odd spotty being landed. Then another rod bent over and was peeling line, then the already weakened rod stand bent over so the rod was parallel to the sea :shock: … I sprinted and managed to grab the rod before it was pulled from the stand.

The fish was still on, this one was bigger… It had the Snapper headshakes, but lacked the ray speed and line pulling ability. Soon I caught a glimpse, then landed it. A nice 5lb Snapper, it took half a pilchard on a 5/0 hook.

Until around dusk it was relatively calm at the little wharf, but the wind started to get strong, and it was blowing a complete gale by the time I packed the rods away at 9:00 pm.

Heading back down that way tomorrow. Need to make the most of the autumn because there is plenty of time not to go fishing during the winter / Spring :|

Miliwolf
    Participant

Another night, and another trip down the sounds :mrgreen:

Firstly I went to the small wharf, fished there from 6-8pm. Conditions were mainly calm and slightly overcast, high tide was due around 10:35pm so was fishing the incoming tide.

The only excitement occurred when a Stingray got one of my baits, I fought it for a while then notice one of my other rods wwas bending….. The ray went to ground so I took my chance and checked on the other rod…. Whatever was on it got off and I eventually landed a large clump of musseles.

Returned to the Ray, got it moving again only for it to wrap my line around the wharf.

Around 8pm I packed up and moved to the head of the bay to fish the shallows. I doubt the water was any more then a meter deep, probably half that. It started to rain and hail on my arrival. But I persisted and it eventually stopped. Fished for around a hour and the storms clouds were brewing again so packed up…. On checking my last rod I realized it had a fish on. Was a nice modest KY which I released. First time I caught one during the night, maybe had something to do with the full moon.

Would be my last trip to the sounds for a while :(

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Salty tonight, got heaps of Crabs. Had a couple of massive catches during dusk.

High tide: 8:45pm
    Conditions: Light norwest wind, sea had a small/moderate chop. Water still mainly clear.

Fished from 7-9pm, hooked first lemon shark just after dusk, while checking my crab pot another fish got hooked and bent my ‘weak’ rod stand over again…. Luckily rod was still in place. That fish got off, had another potential fish which put heaps of slack line onto the other rod. On retrieving my last rod I felt a weight which turned out to be a second Lemon.

I really must repair the lights on my rods so I can see if I get any strikes at night.

This would be my last surfcasting report for a while….

yellowfin
    Participant

Was planning on going down to Timaru Wharf tomorrow to stock up on enough Mullet to last a while. Not sure if it’ll be worth stopping off at any beaches on the way back, Rangitata or Browns. Anyone from down that way been catching much lately?

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.