Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Was it moving fast or slow? Could have been a ray, or even a big School shark.

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided to have a short fish down the grove arm (6:30-9pm). The sea was calm with a gentle breeze. The tide was low, and incoming.

The fishing was slow, I caught my first Spottie on a Surfcaster, its quite a big fish to. Something broke my 15kg line when I was not watching it…..

Was quite amazed how calm it was considering the gusty winds we had in the main valley.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Went along to the birdlings comp…but it was postponed as we know now, the weather turned great and three of us stayed at Bayleys until mid afternoon.
    The fishing though was catch a fish every cast…but dogfish, they just leapt upon any fish or squid bait put out there, two at a time was no uncommon, and often you didnt have time to put the rod in the rest.
    They didn’t touch cooked prawns…mind you nor did anything esle. Tried Gulp crabs…not touched…oddly mussels were not either…although the bait did dissapear.
    In between the doggies we managed a couple of schoolies not bad sizes and a skate. Enjoyed the day though.
    Still to catch a rig..those of you who do catch down there…is it crabs you use for bait?

Jones Jr.
    Participant

I caught my big Rig at Amberley beach on a raw bannana prawn from countdown (Thanks Greg!), they are sometimes there in a frozen section wrapped in glad wrap on a meat tray type of setup. Paddle crab works well to and would equally be a good bait, if your too lazy like me you’ll just buy them from the fish section at the supermarket.

One interesting thing I would try for a good sized schoolie is put some dogfish on your hook. I caught a 6kg school shark on a cut bait piece of dogfish around this time last year I think it was at Bayleys, I opened up this school shark and it had small dogfish in it’s gut. I think someone else on here noted that a school shark they caught had small dog fish in it to once. They weren’t touching any other bait we put out there until I tried doggie.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes it’s a known fact that bigger species of sharks, and even smaller ones, will eat other sharks. I’ve caught good size schoolies and a Sevengiller on dogfish baits. Also the other night at the pier a guy cut up a school shark to use for bait, and not long after he hooked something big. He didn’t have much of a chance though, his drag was up real tight and while he was trying to loosen it he lost it. Also Stringray and Freshwater eels are apparently a delicacy for sharks.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Use a moderate size ray for a live bait, catch a orca.

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t mean whole Stringrays, although I’ve seen people on other websites using whole dead stringrays as bait for bigger sharks with good success. Obviously this isn’t possible with general surfcasting, but if you had a kayak it’s an option.

gunnercoops
    Participant

thanks for the bait ideas…will try doggie as bait..also see on the website you can eat dogfish…will give it a go one day..maybe

yellowfin
    Participant

On the subject of rig bait, prawns have gone up a lot in price in the last year, making it worth the effort to catch crabs instead (which are a better bait for them anyway). I don’t like buying crabs either because they’re not that cheap when you consider that a lot of the weight of a crab isn’t usable for bait anyway (shell, rear legs, etc).
    A year ago prawns were on special for about $8/kg, now $22/kg is considered a special (yeah right).

yellowfin
    Participant

I still haven’t tried prawns for bait. Also anyone know where you can buy crab catchers, like the sort most people use at the pier. There is a size limit on them also, so they can’t be any bigger. I know some of them I’ve seen are home made, but I’m sure you can buy them somewhere.

PierMaster
    Participant

hey gunnercorps

are you jeff’s mate?

i went out and seen u guys fishind at bayleys

yellowfin
    Participant

Zac I’ve found that a lot of species of fish will eat prawns, but you probably won’t get as high a bite rate as you would with some other baits that have a stronger scent. I haven’t seen what I’d call a lightweight crab catcher sold anywhere, I just made one similar to Piermaster’s.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have you got a picture of it? Lol, I’m just trying to think of how to make one, and I’m not sure what to use for the hook parts.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Why not just buy a Opera style crab cage, they only cost around $20.00 and seem to work well.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.