Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

I’ve caught some big skates and rig off the governors bay jetty in the past, ca be a good spot.
    Still plenty of kahawai around up here, got 10 down at the diversion on the Fly yesterday, didin’t keep any but did give a couple to some islanders down there.

rdeejay
    Participant

here’s a quick panoramic video i took yesterday for those who haven’t been to birdlings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MXe0CMD5dA and it could of been worse, check this out for rough!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCJLSIba3M

rdeejay
    Participant

St_Paul

yellowfin
    Participant

would be worth going for a look friday or sat looking to be real rough with set wave face height being 4m which is how big the breaking waves are

rdeejay
    Participant

I saw that on swellmap, it’d be interesting to see how rough it can get but you’d have to be absolutely bonkers to try and fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was thinking of going for a Kayak fish down at Kaikoura today, got up early so I was to tired to launch my kayak…. Drove down to the mouth of the Clarence, watched for a while and a few good size Kahawai were landed followed by a nice Salmon.

I played around for a while throwing metal with one of my surf rods but caught nothing, tried up river for a while for the same result. So Headed back up the coast.

Water looked a bit dirty around the three fords, so fished closer to Kekerengu, had no idea of the tide but it looked very low. Stayed for maybe a hour and caught nothing. Went home. There was a bird work-up a km or so offshore.

St_Paul

HookLineSinker
    Participant

so were you on the northern side of the clarence? What condition is the track in to get down there, never been down that way yet always wondered but figured the track could be rough going down the river bed?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Track is rough, It really shacks everything up. I do not like taking my truck down it.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Cheers for the feedback milli.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Big rig and decent sized school sharks off the Governors Bay jetty? What the? Maybe that might be worth a shot then, wouldn’t of thought you would get diddly squat there. Rays I could understand, flounder, small Kaiwhai and mullet to but didn’t think of much else. How big were the school sharks you were getting rdeejay?

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

Why does the best fishing weather always have to coincide with other commitments.

Clifford bay is looking perfect for a Tuesday evening fish :x :? :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe I should just skip the freshwater club meeting. mmmm

yellowfin
    Participant

i could also understand getting spotties maybe piper and those god damn small doggies even during winter i could see red cod there though i may not wanna eat them from there although they may not be tooo bad to eat closer to lyttelton they may not be

yellowfin
    Participant

Had an awesome day at Kaikoura yesterday..

Sorry not really surfcasting but…

started with a snorkel by Nins bins..
    got 2 crays and a our limit of paua. Also got some Kina for a lady at work..
    Seen a few small moki, some butterfish, heaps of bloody wrasse.

Went and got some lunch. Then headed south to the the boat launching site right beside the road tunnels.
    Launched the little dinghy and head out a couple of hundred metres off shore.
    Got a few little bluecod and a keeper bluecod. And heaps of bloody wrasse (Probably some of the bigger ones I’ve seen)

Got bored of catching wrasse so thought I’d get the speargun out.

The visibility was pretty shit but managed to shoot myself a nice big moki. Seen a whole heap more wrasse a couple of butterfish and another half dozen or so big moki and quite a few little ones. With the water being so dirty I was usually scaring them off before I seen them. Interestingly they were in only 2 to 3 metres of water.

Nearly everytime on our trips to the sounds I’ve noticed a heap of birds working off the coast south of Kaikoura. So we headed out to check them out. Was huge schools of tiny fish, Herrings, and then kahawai and baracoutta working them up. Nearly every cast resulted in a hook up of coutta.
    But the best bit was dad hooking a KINGFISH!!! It was a smaller one and unfortunately he lost it as he went to lift it into the dinghy. :cry:
    I headed back out trolling but had no luck. So had fun hooking up on coutta instead.

I’ve never heard of people catching kingis in kaikoura before??? Anyone else???

gunnercoops
    Participant

Does anyone know if the wharf at Kaikoura is open to fishing ..when I saw it over xmas it was being revamped.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

vip_yo

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.