Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

thats gotta tickle a lil i was saying to andrew yesterday with doggies starting to show up now it may not be a good sign for winter. may meanthere will be even MORE around than usually in winter.Although using shell fish and prawns etc will still catchthem but i guess just not as many as the small dogi got yesterday was on prawn

yellowfin
    Participant

allan/yellowfin, just wondering if you happened to be out at Birdlings flat on Friday? Thought I saw someone that looked like you, not fishing or anything.

elmo22
    Participant

hi me mate went 2 doire got some dog fish any one been there

yellowfin
    Participant

Haven’t been to Dorie for a couple weeks now. There’s usually some good size school sharks around. Last time I was there all I got was small doggies/scoolies and a skate.

PierMaster
    Participant

fished at brighton after work for 2 hours got 25 herring :) destined for bait!

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I got loads of herring last time I spent a day at the pier. Sorted them all into Ice Cream containers and salted them so they’ll last longer. Should last for ages. There seemed to be a lot of bigger size mullet around when I was there on Friday.

yellowfin
    Participant

eat them!!! the bigger mullet i mean they are nice smoked… much better than kahawai

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d rather keep them for bait, so I’ve got plenty to last over winter. Although if I caught a really big one I’d probably eat it.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea fair enough… the forecast for tomorrow aint lookin overly flash (as in to hot)so dunno if ill gofishing if so i may just go for a mullet fish and maybe a salmon fish up the kaiapoi at high tide keento try whole prawns for bait thinkthey maybe just as effective as the pillies they use in the kaiapoi

rdeejay
    Participant

Went to Birdlings today, total waste of time! sea was really rough and heaps of debris floating around, someone is also missing 2 snap swivels a torpedo sinker and 3 hooks cos i caught the snag they busted off on! Gave up after an hour and headed back through gebbies valley and called into Governors Bay, fished off the pier for a while and caught a truckload of dogfish that were just throwing themselves on the hooks but then using a sabiki it wasnt suprising they were hooking up so after catching 20 or so i got sick of catching and releasing so switched to larger hooks with huge baits and along came the schoolies, caught 5 of them then packed up.
    here’s a pic from the pier and the rubbish conditions at birdlings

yellowfin
    Participant

It can get a bit annoying when the conditions are rough, especially if you’ve traveled a long way to get to the beach. Also for me, the fishing has been crap these last couple of weeks. Been to Birdlings Flat twice, and only caught a couple tiny dogfish. Around this time last year I could go out to Dorie beach and catch some really good size School sharks, now it’s just dogfish. Only luck I have had is with bait fishing for kahawai and mullet, otherwise haven’t had a decent shark or anything else for while.

Haven’t heard any reports from Rangitata or further south, but I might try down that way the next couple of weeks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just fished at Birdlings caught a good Kahwai and one mullet

rdeejay
    Participant

I suppose birdlings has been alright to me considering i’ve had next no no luck at other beaches which used to be good(Leithfield,Amberley) catching my first Elephant fish on my first trip there would be my highlight, especially so cos the fish decided it wanted to go the other way and not to the beach so fought really hard and decided to run as it gets dull when ya land fish that just like to sit on ya line. And although somewhat fun for a short while using a #10 5 hook sabiki and pulling in dogfish after dogfish just to say yay i caught something, i’d rather be battling something that wants to try and destroy my drag lol.

Oh and here’s another shot looking back down the pier, suprisingly the water depth was only around 4 foot at the end and still there were decent sized school sharks about.

yellowfin
    Participant

birdlins there doesnt look too much different from friday. i havnt fished at leithfeild for a few years so dont reall know what its like there now id fish amberley much more. also those beaches like all beaches i guess fishes better into night and during the night

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Tumbledown bay last night, I put up with the snags there hoping I’d get some moki, but I only got small bastard red cod. Gave up and went to Bayleys beach. Caught a 4kg rig there and some dogfish.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.